steam infected

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by captcalhoun, Feb 5, 2012.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

anyone else had trouble with Steam being infected by a Trojan? my avast anti-virus was blocking Steam trying to update a steamservice.exe and when i ran a boot scan, it found about 6 infected files.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Hm, no. I doubt it's anything specific to Steam, your system probably get infected by something else--and Steam is just one of the executables it got to.

I'd recommend a full system scan for viruses and malware.

3. captcalhoun

well, as i said, i've run an av boot scan. it not only picked up the Steam files, but an adobe exe and deleted them. i've reinstalled steam and now need to reinstall MW2...

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Hopefully it won't happen again. I've just not heard of Steam itself being a vector for infections. That would be pretty fucked up! :lol:

5. captcalhoun

reinstalled MW2. only to find i've lost the last month or more's progress on my challenges. :klingon: lost 44 TAR21 headshots, 90-odd M4 headshots, a load of AT4 kills, multi-frag and multi-rpg kills, 11 precision airstrikes (to finish that challenge), 4 Harriers, 15 cooked nade kills, a bunch of airdrops toward the airdrop inbound challenge, etc. etc.

GRRRRRR.