STC Ep. 7: "Embrace The Winds" speculation and discussion....

Please show me where I ever said that ALL WOMEN should disagree with that.

All I have said is that some women do not view the miniskirt as a "symbol of freedom," that women would understandably I think be more informed on the subject than men, and that it's foolish to discount either of these when considering or discussing this topic.

And what about those who disagree with your point of view? While #notall viewed the miniskirt in the same way, the mainstream in entertainment and in fashion did see and present this piece of garment as a statement of women's lib.

Women are free to like/not like and wear/not wear what they want. The miniskirt was the perfect symbol for that kind of freedom in that time.
You didn't address my point. I was talking about your usage of the hashtag #notall. You couldn't even speak about a group with a different opinion without imposing a label on them, and, with all of the presumptions that comes as the baggage with such a stamp, thereby implicitly attempting to marginalize them. It's really very disrespectful.

First off, you're getting upset against a casting decision on a 50 year old show, a show that is generally lauded for diverse casting. Secondly, Leonard Nimoy, depending on your point of view, wasn't "white". He was Jewish, a historically oppressed minority (witness Patterns of Force).

Should I not feel empathetic while watching Roots because I'm not black? Maybe I should only feel guilt instead? You have a sadly literal notion of identification and empathizing.

You can't have a story without conflict. When the story takes sides for the viewer and doesn't allow any gray in the middle, that's when it gets too ham-fisted.

First off, why do you think I'm upset? I didn't write my statement in ALL CAPS. If anything it seems like you had an emotional response to my speculations here. I was commenting on the STC episode and beyond that about the weaknesses of having Spock be a stand-in for non-white people. I never said Nimoy wasn't white, I don't get where that's coming from. It's established that his mother in the show was a white woman, so Spock was at least have white, and add that to his fair-skinned Vulcan father. Though to be fair, there was supposedly enough ambiguity with Nimoy's appearance that Kirk could call him a "Chinese rice picker" and expect that to fly in 1930s America. Fair enough Nimoy was Jewish, a member of an oppressed minority (in this case of fair-skinned people). Shatner is also Jewish, do you think he would work as a stand-in as well?

As for Roots, I don't know how people approach that or if they feel empathy regarding the treatment of Africans at all. That's not my job to determine that, and I never said it was, so don't try to put that on me. I don't know if people identified with the Africans or the slavers, or if they tried to find some middle ground there to sympathize with both. Race and the history of racial conflict, in the US, is a very knotty, complicated issue, and it produces a multiplicity of feelings. Though if you did feel guilt is that bad? If we can feel pride in the past, if we can take pride in what happened in the past and feel a sense of collective achievement, then can't we also feel guilt and shame for the darker aspects of history? If we have a collective responsibility to push forward the ideals of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution then I don't think its a stretch to believe there is also a collective responsibility for the great crimes committed, which include the the treatment of Native Americans and Africans.

It's debatable about what's ham-fisted or not. I think that depends sometimes on if the show or movie has a view that you (not you personally, just in general) don't like, then it's ham-fisted. Using Star Trek as an example, there are episodes where it does take a clear moral line in the sand. So much so that shows like "In the Pale Moonlight" stand out so much because it does dwell in shades of gray. And throughout television period, I would argue that a lot of dramas take a side. And the conflict is more about the hero accomplishing his/her goals instead of it being a shades of gray situation.

I know I'm late, but I'd like to throw out my reasons for disappointment in this episode: there was no there there.

All the juicy stuff about Garrett's past and possible unfitness for the post was brought up and then ignored. The Hood was taken off the board so once again there was no need for Kirk to make a decision. The whole episode was anticlimactic.

In many ways this episode sums up what I see as STC's biggest failing: Vic Mignogna portrays Kirk very well, but STC as a whole doesn't write Kirk very well. What makes it worse is that Vic's body language clearly communicates Kirk's decisiveness, while the story relieves him of the need to make a decision.

I also had issues with the subject matter, but they paled in my eyes next to the execution. My own take on sexism in TOS is that they were trying to portray a more egalitarian society than their own, but were handicapped by conscious, unconscious, and institutional bias.

I hope the next few episodes are better.

You didn't address my point. I was talking about your usage of the hashtag #notall. You couldn't even speak about a group with a different opinion without imposing a label on them, and, with all of the presumptions that comes as the baggage with such a stamp, thereby implicitly attempting to marginalize them. It's really very disrespectful.

Assuming motives and intentions by trying to mindread text on a screen almost always leads to failure.
While #notall fail, most do.

Assuming motives and intentions by trying to mindread text on a screen almost always leads to failure.
While #notall fail, most do.
Well, I wasn't speaking about mind-reading or anything about which guesswork is required. I was speaking only to observable effects, or otherwise things that are certain. Hence, my use of the word "implicitly."

Last edited:
What is certain is that no one is marginalized in their own views by the views held by others, or the words and phrases they use.

I don't blame him. Aside from T'Pol all the Vulcans were assholes until the Great Season Four Reveal.

I don't recall him showing much dislike of Spock or Vulcans until they finally see what a Romulan looks like.

I may have to watch the episode again, but I think seeing a Romulan supported his already brewing bigotry towards Spock.

I didn't realize the extent of the detail of the courtroom until comparing a scene from the original.

courtcomparejpg_zpszk1sndyv.jpg

No one really fault their productions standards.

That said it would be nice if there were an effective alternate uniform design for women particularly in command roles.

Back