Spoilers Starship Design in Star Trek: Picard

So even if the SNW-Enterprise looks like the TOS-Enterprise at the end of the show how does that solve anything? Are we supposed to believe then that Starfleet shrunk it down from 442 to 289 m? There comes a point when a prequel crosses too many lines and becomes a reboot. SNW has done that by retconning too many things IMO.
How tall was Leonard Nimoy? How much does Ethan Peck weigh?

Now, how tall is Spock and how much does he weigh?

So now that both designs have shown up in shiny modern live-action series Star Trek: Picard, it implies that the SNW ship gets a refit to become the TOS ship.

I've suggested that that is a possibility the SNW producers could use many times. I still like the idea -- a nice tip of the hat to TOS as SNW finishes up.

Either way TOS leads to TNG leads to Voyager leads to Picard. In story, in design, in visuals. SNW can go be off in its own little universe for all I care, as long as it doesn't suggest that the visuals I'm seeing in my TOS and TNG DVDs are wrong.

At this point, I think it's pretty clear that both the SNW version of the Enterprise and the TOS version are part of Prime Universe continuity.

Well, not really. Because by that logic, the TOS Enterprise went from looking like it did in "The Cage" to looking like it did in SNW to looking like it did in TOS.

Starfleet doesn't have problems with the kind of resource scarcity that would make such refits prohibitive in real life; I'm okay with that possibility. I'm also okay with ignoring retconning the "Cage" Enterprise as looking like the SNW version in official Star Trek continuity as long as the original version of "The Cage" remains available for viewing/purchase by fans.

Its possible the SNW enterprise connie gets a refit like the new jersey. Buy maybe SNW will end up being a alternate reality. Who knows.

The producers have been very clear that Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds all take place in the same continuity as Star Trek: The Original Series et al.

The SNW Enterprise isn’t going to change into the TOS Enterprise. They are 0% concerned with making their show look like the ‘60’s.

It might. It might not. We'll find out!

So even if the SNW-Enterprise looks like the TOS-Enterprise at the end of the show how does that solve anything?

Insofar as there was anything to "solve," sure. It just makes it 100% clear that the ship looks different in TOS and SNW because there was a refit between the two.

Are we supposed to believe then that Starfleet shrunk it down from 442 to 289 m?

That scale was never canonically established. It was "fanon," not canon. I'm fine with scaling the Enterprise up a bit.

There comes a point when a prequel crosses too many lines and becomes a reboot.

Nope. That's a question of authorial intent, not your subjective interpretation. SNW is a prequel, not a reboot. You don't get to designate it a reboot unless you buy Star Trek from Paramount.

No, because the 289 meter size was never canon except as a mistake in DSC Season 2.

That size also doesn't work with 2 decks at the height of the TOS sets. Unless the TOS Enterprise is bigger on the inside.

Interesting! So that size never worked anyway and there's no reason to hold onto it except fanon assumptions.

I wonder why the Enterprise-F is already due to be retired. And they lost the original Titan as well.

Starfleet's being rather wasteful with its ships, innit? Used to last decades. Now they're being tossed aside like beer bottles. :sigh:

Put another way, Starfleet used to treat its ships like European sports stadiums...now it's American ones. :lol:

tarfleet's being rather wasteful with its ships, innit? Used to last decades. Now they're being tossed aside like beer bottles. :sigh:
People don't mourn in the future. They serve a function, technology develop and improvements are made. With nearly infinite resources why does it matter?

People don't mourn in the future.

Like hell they don't.

With nearly infinite resources why does it matter?

Those so-called "infinite" resources should make ships last LONGER, not shorter. Why throw away a ship if it can be repaired and refitted? Waste is waste, regardless of all this "post-scarcity" crap.

Hell, I'm surprised Voyager's only up to the J by the time DSC comes around. (IIRC, as of PIC they are already on the B.) At the rate Starfleet's going, they should have run out of letters a long fucking time ago. God only knows what Enterprise they're on. :lol:

People don't mourn in the future. They serve a function, technology develop and improvements are made. With nearly infinite resources why does it matter?
The refit of the Titan-A is explained as the result of resource scarcity following the 2385 destruction of Utopia Planitia. Starfleet lacks the resources to produce certain parts.

Those so-called "infinite" resources should make ships last LONGER, not shorter. Why throw away a ship if it can be repaired and refitted?
Not necessarily. If technological innovations continuously are moving along, especially with new member worlds added, then eventually it becomes easier to build up the new ship from the ground up to integrate those technologies.
God only knows what Enterprise they're on. :lol:
Hopefully none.

It matters because people still get emotionally attached. Kirk's true love was his ship. During the shows and movies he was attached to his vessel. It was his home. If ships only last 10 years it is a waste. When Kirk got the enterprise it was already 20 years old.

It matters because people still get emotionally attached. Kirk's true love was his ship. During the shows and movies he was attached to his vessel. It was his home. If ships only last 10 years it is a waste. When Kirk got the enterprise it was already 20 years old.
Sounds unhealthy.

People are not supposed to mourn in the future.

I seem to remember the Galaxy-class ships WERE in fact built to last decades, and were designed to be out of contact with Starfleet for years at a time.

But that was when Starfleet actually gave a shit about building things to last.

People are not supposed to mourn in the future.

Oh, enough with the wussy-ass early TNG crap. As long as there are people, there will be mourning.

I seem to remember the Galaxy-class ships WERE in fact built to last decades, and were designed to be out of contact with Starfleet for years at a time.

But that was when Starfleet actually gave a shit about building things to last.

Oh, enough with the wussy-ass early TNG crap. As long as there are people, there will be mourning.

According to the TNG Technical Manual that is exactly what they were supposed to be..essentially "5 year mission" ships without a need to see a Starbase or Outpost at all, which is why there could be families, kids on board, etc.

There were also only supposed to be six Galaxy class ships, with six more in incomplete storage.

We see by the time of the Dominion War that intentional scarcity is effectively done away with.

I work within the parameters given by the show :)

Weak pansy shit like that can, and in fact already has, been rejected.

Look at how Book reacted wheb his entire homeworld was destroyed. I'd call that mourning. And Tarka seemed very affected by his lover's death as well. So even in the far future of DSC, you're damn right people mourn.

Weak pansy stuff like that can, and in fact already has, been rejected.

Look at how Book reacted wheb his entire homeworld was destroyed. I'd call that mourning. And Tarka seemed very affected by his lover's death. So even in the far future of DSC, you're damn right people mourn.
I suppose that I should ignore TNG then, eh? ;)

Back