Starship Art by Shusei Nagaoka

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by EJD1984, Dec 2, 2009.

1. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

I just ran across this old/forgotten & interesting take on a Trek starship.

Link to Picture

I wonder where it was originally used - or done just for fun.

Though I can tell for sure it was done during the height of the pastel colors 80s. :)

2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks for posting that; I've been a fan of his work for decades. I think that particular image was originally an album cover for a collection of Trek theme covers, but I can't guarantee it (he did covers for ELO, Earth Wind & Fire and many others). Here's a good sampling of his varied work: Cover Artist Gallery #21 (the page the original image is linked from also has several examples in much better resolution).

3. Rattrap

Rattrap Commander Red Shirt

In the US at least, it was used as the cover art for Meco Monardo's Star Trek album. For those who remember "Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk", this is the same performer. I bought the album as much, if not more, for Nagaoka's cover art than the music.

As Ptrope points out, he also did covers for ELO's "Out of the Blue", at least one for Earth, Wind and Fire, and several of his pieces were used as covers for the European Disco/Techno band Space.

I'd love to see someone put together a slick collection of his work.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Thanks for the info, Rattrap! Based on that, I found the composed album cover here.

Glad to also see someone who remembers Space - his artwork for their "Just Blue" album was inspiring (I actually still have this on vinyl!)

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thats one cool design on that cover :)

6. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

I think that we had a thread on this a couple of years ago (NCC-1680 if I remember correctly). My local library had that album, and I still have the cassette that I recorded of it nearly thirty years ago - and, at least as of a couple of years ago it still was playable.

7. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey I still own that record! I bought it specifically because I liked the cover artwork. Nice find!