Stargazer prequel series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by F. King Daniel, May 4, 2020.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would anyone be interested in an Adventures of Young Jean-Luc Picard show? Imagine a recast 20something Lt. JL Picard, second officer of the USS Stargazer. Everything is given a Discovery-style makeover, since the original Stargazer set was just the back wall and helm console of the Motion Picture Enterprise (actually they can probably just re-redress and reuse the Shenzhou/Section 31 bridge). Reimagine the uniforms since TNG flashbacks used either the TNG S1 jammies or the Wrath of Khan jackets.

The captain and first officer die and Lieutenant Picard forced to take command in the first episode and then he's finding his command legs for the first season. There's a love triangle plot between himself, Beverly Howard and his best friend Jack Crusher. This Picard is somewhat more cocky than the one we'll come to know in Next Gen and PIC, and the mistakes he'll make throughout the season (probably ending with Jack's death) will temper him into something more akin to the Picard we know.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No more prequels, thanks.

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would be more into a mini-series than series but yes I would love to see them go and explore that time period. Watch Picard rise to command. See him having to deal with a plot by the Chala who are in league with the Ferengi. See a younger Grand Nagus Zek. Maybe the Chala are hired to steal Starships by the Ferengi in which case they can sell them on the open market. My idea is Picard has to go up against a very advance Starship and either destroy it or rescue it. Also the Ferengi wear holo-masks that hide their appearance since of canon reasons and also because they might be a little more credible as a dangerous threat if you don't have them look so silly looking the entire time. Also Q is their sort of monitoring Picard because he knows this is the guy he wants to test humanity with someday which of course he will do someday in the TNG pilot. On the show though he is mostly just blending in as a crewmen, sometimes offering sarcastic barbs.

Jason

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe as a miniseries, though I should think maybe after Picard the series does a Stargazer flashback subplot for a season.

Markonian and F. King Daniel like this.
  5. Isaac

Isaac Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would be interested in a series set around the ship but maybe not just the focus being the stargazer but the politics of the time, granted I'm not exactly clued up on much that happened in the mid 24th century so I can't give examples of events but still it would be a fun time to see in canon because it's been touched on often in novels but obviously that can't be taken as true.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be more interested in an all original series set in the unknown era between TUC and TNG, no more shoehorning in established characters or tenuous links to established characters.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Better Call Sam. As in Samuel T. Cogley. That's the series I want to see. ;)

But I'll settle for the Stargazer.

DEWLine, The Wormhole and Jayson1 like this.
  8. Isaac

Isaac Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I mean if we're talking about this tuc to tng era I'd love to see a terok nor show, hell even another starbase show would be pretty good. Could be a fed starbase.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  9. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

No, thanks. Not interested. :)

ChallengerHK likes this.
  10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that idea as well. Maybe start it off when he was young was something like a JAG officer lawyer in Starfleet but is compelled for some reason to go independent. The character would be very educated and folksy yet maybe when he was younger he also had something of a wild side as well and had a gambling habit. Maybe he was practicing law on Nimbus III when it was just created and people had hopes of it being some grand experiment that would bring peace between humans.klingons and romulans.

Jason

Lord Garth likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

?!

But you're MrPicard. :angel:

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they did do a show set in the period between TUC and TNG, it's inevitable they'd eventually work in Picard and the Stargazer in somehow. Their own version of when Disco brought Pike and the Enterprise in.

Lord Garth likes this.
  14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Prequel, sequel or newquel. What does it matter as long as it's good? :shrug:

ChallengerHK and Lord Garth like this.
  15. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

Yes. Which is why I've got my own ideas about his time aboard the Stargazer and don't need a television series to show me. ;)

Ar-Pharazon, Dukhat and Lord Garth like this.
  16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I felt the same way about the formation of the Federation, but somebody felt the need to create ENT. And look how well that turned out.

Have there been any prequels that have been unanimously better than the thing it was a prequel to?

USS Firefly likes this.
  17. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The biggest problem with such an idea is that they'd have to recast the role of Picard.
    And recasts are often unpopular.

18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

But your ideas probably couldn't be put on air, even on Cinemax :p

Lord Garth likes this.
  19. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Only because we aren't used to it in Trek.

In theather, different actors play Richard III all the time we don't blink an eye.
    Superheroes are recast all the time.
    Saavik was replaced between two movies.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  20. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first example is a completely different kind of animal, being theatre.
    The recast superheores, generally are in reboots, not in the same narrative.
    And wasn't the thing with Saavik hugely unpopular and that's why she was marooned on Vulcan for the rest of the movies?

I juts think it would be very difficult to recast Patrick Stewart, and I'm saying that as a person who actually greatly enjoyed Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo and would have gladly watched 3 Solo prequel movies with him in the role.

Markonian likes this.