Starfleet...Military or Not

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Brie, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brie

Brie Commander Red Shirt

I have heard debate both in person and on these forums about whether or not Starfleet can be considered "Military." Being military myself I see a lot of similarities between military life and Starfleet, yet I distinctly remember several episodes in several series' where they specifically say they aren't military. That being said I know many people who do consider Starfleet to be military.

I am on the fence. I say this because they do say several times they are not a military, that they are dedicated to space exploration, yet there are episodes throughout all the series' where they go to "war" with alien races, that's a very 'military" act. On top of that they maintain military structure, wear uniforms, follow a chain of command structure, and have ships specifically for battle situations (DS9). All of that makes me think they are military. Yet the military isn't dedicated to scientific exploration, so that leads me to think it isn't. A quick Google search of the question will provide answers for either side of the argument so I want to know what you guys have to say about it, is Starfleet a military organization, or not.

2. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

They're quasi-military to me, and I think you'd almost need that military structure in order to carry out dangerous missions in hostile space.

3. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat." - Kirk in Errand of Mercy.

Kor

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Military.

5. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I say yes. Remember that in times past, the Royal Navy, in addition to defending the Empire, also carried out missions of exploration and scientific discovery.

6. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe a bit more like a coast guard than a war machine, but it's not a police force, not civilian.

7. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Military with additional responsibilities that today's military forces don't have.

8. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're a military when the writers need them to be, and they aren't a military when the writers need it as well.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always enjoy this discussion of Starfleet's role in the Federation. TOS makes it more a point of Kirk and company being soldiers, though GR modeled his Star Fleet after Heinlein's Space Patrol (to some degree, not an obvious one to one). One interesting descriptor in that book is that the patrol is not a "military organization. They have the Marines to act as the more direct force when the situation requires it, though all members have weapons training.

I think Starfleet as it eventually develops in to is a military organization. It is the only organization presented on screen as a defensive force capable of engaging in military action on the behalf of its government. I think that SFDebris, in his review on TNG's "Peak Performance" discusses it quite well, and mentions several points, such as court-martials, military structures, and ranks, as well as the lack of any other organization demonstrated to wage war on behalf of the Federation.

tl:dr-yes, it is a military organization, but due to operating in space, and changes in technology, it serves some other functions as well.

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

What about something like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps? Would he NOAA be considered military? The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps? Both are uniformed and carry ranks. They have only officers. No enlisted or warrent officers in either.

Would Starfleet fit being the NOAA mixed with NASA? With Starfleet Medical being the decendant of the PHSCC?

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I liked nuPike's description of Starfleet as a "peacekeeping armada". Sort of splits the difference between the two.

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

They are military in so far as they act in defence of the Federation, its people and its ideals, but their remit expands much further, so that element is just a part of what they do.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Starfleet seems to have a very wide remit, of which defence of the Federation is just one. I'm sure other races see the Starfleet as the Fedreration's military, but does the Federaton view it as a military force

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Starfleet is whatever it needs to be whenever it needs to be.

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If your Federation planet is being invaded by Jem'Hadar, who are you gonna call?

If your Federation government is in a state of war with the Dominion from the other side of the galaxy, who is doing the fighting?

Military.

But, as stated, they have additional duties besides defense. They're like the British Navy from the 17th and 18th centuries. Exploring new regions, conducting scientific missions. The HMS Beagle was a Royal Navy ship that had three surveying missions. Charles Darwin was on board during the second survey mission.

Sounds much like a Starfleet scientific survey mission to me.

16. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Administration, military and more.

17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gene Roddenberry was emphatic that STARFLEET was not a militaristic organisation. And ... I believe him.

18. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's pretty clear that Starfleet is a military organization. They have other duties too like exploration, but they act in defense of the Federation against it's foes and fights for the Federation in wars, so of course they are a military organization.

19. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

IMO it's a military without the MIC. So when they say it isn't a military organization, that's just a writing simplification.

20. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

It was mentioned earlier that parallels could be drawn between SF and the Coast Guard, and also that SF was whatever the writers needed it to be. Like 'Frakes said, GR was insistent SF was not Militaristic...and I believe 'Frakes when he says he believes GR, and also believe what 'Frakes believes. But, sometimes it is hard to argue what with goes on on-screen.
    Believe It!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.