Stardate 43210.1

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Captain59, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Greetings! Did Picard ever use this as a Stardate? Any idea what episode it would have been?

Thank you!

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

You can check all the stardates from Memory Alpha, a stardate starting 43???.? is from season 3.

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

That sounds like it's around the time of "Booby Trap".

Qonundrum and Mojochi like this.
  4. Twilight Phoenix

Twilight Phoenix Captain Captain

I never understood how the stardate system works -_-"

marlboro likes this.
  5. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    I don't think there is a true way how it works! All I knew is that the second number corresponded with the season number of TNG. After that, who knows? :)

6. JesterFace

Memory Alpha said something like this about the stardates:

A stardate is a five-digit number followed by a decimal point and one more digit. Example: "41254.7."
    The 4 stands for 24th century, the 1 indicates first season. The additional three leading digits will progress unevenly during the course of the season from 000 to 999. The digit following the decimal point is generally regarded as a day counter.

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yup. Booby Trap is 43205.6

So it's a little later... however long 4.5 is, lol. Let's at least hope Geordi wasn't still in the holodeck by then ;)

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Sounds fairly early in Season 3, between the aforementioned "Booby Trap" and "The Enemy."

9. JesterFace

The question many may think is that where did that 43210.1 come from, Captain59? :)

10. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be more interested in knowing exactly when, between The Wounded & Devil's Due, they had a party onboard celebrating 44444.4

11. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

At least until DS9 and VOY started using 50xxx... :D did ST:FC or ST:Nem?

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I generally assumed that 1000 corresponds to the period of Earth's revolution, so one day is about 2.7 and .1 is a little over an hour.

DS9 and Voy started where TNG left off. Voyager season one was 48xxx, two was 49xxx, three was 50xxx, etc.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yep, both movies continued the stardate progression. First Contact (stardate 50893.5); Nemesis (stardate 56844.9).

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

That's because the 4 never stood for the 24th century in universe. They said "4 because of the 24th century" behind the scenes but I doubt anyone put any thought into that at all. The stardates serve no purpose and should have been abolished with TNG, the reason they originally existed was because Star Trek's time frame was supposed to be ambiguous, could be the year 2000 or 3000 etc., after that ambiguity was done away with the stardates should have disappeared too.

I'm not even sure why the stardates were said for log entries, it doesn't add any information for the audience and it's not like we can't assume the computer time stamps the entries automatically. It's the same on this board, we don't date our posts, the software does that.

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I disagree stardates had no usefulness when the date was established. It's one of those little things that adds to the 'futureness', but also in world it provides a date system for the Federation besides Earth's date system. It makes no sense for every planet in the Federation to have agreed on the standard of how many times Earth has revolved around Sol since four years after the birth of an Earth religious figure for their universal date system.

16. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I read this thread and now I have a headache.

Twilight Phoenix likes this.
  17. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that's what I always thought. With so many members, all their their own calenders and dating systems (even our colonies probably had to establish their own time system for internal use, little point in keep to Earth dating if your day and year are different lengths) some sort of Galactic Standard Time would probably be a necessity.