Star Wars: Revan (Novel)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just finished this book. For those unaware it is a sequel to the popular "Knights of the Old Republic" games that apparently sets up the MMORPG "Old Republic". It stars the two stars of the KOTR games, Revan and the Exile. The first half of the book takes place between the two games, and the second half takes place after the second game.

I'm glad I didn't pay for this book because it is insanely short. Also? It didn't really have an ending! It just abruptly ends without resolving anything... apparently setting up the story to continue in the MMORPG. This was a little upsetting because I won't be playing it and I thought this was the conclusion of Revan's and the Exile's stories.

Unfortunately about 1/3 of the screen time features a Sith character, robbing precious pages from the game characters. I'm guessing this guy figures into the MMORPG or something because why spend so much time on him????

I was also disappointed that the supporting characters are barely in it. Bastilia and Canderous and T3 are in it, but that's it! I wanted to see the whole gang together again!

Not that it was a poorly written novel. I just wish I knew going in it wasn't going to have a proper ending.

One thing I did really enjoy was Revan and the Exile working together. Felt like a big crossover! And it was nice to finally resolve where Revan disappeared to in the second game and why!

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Lord Scourge does indeed feature in the game. During the fight against the Emperor in the novel, he had a Force vision of the Jedi Knight who would ultimately kill the Emperor - who, 300 years later, is the Jedi Knight class in the game. Scourge crosses paths with the player character and joins him on the mission to defeat Vitiate.

3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too found this novel severely lacking and disappointing. :(

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, is this Immortal Emperor the Big Bad of the MMORPG then?

I just started reading "Star Wars Deceived" which is also a tie-in to the game and this stars a completely different Sith character, but I'm only in the first chapter so far.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, it's called Revan, not The Whole Gang. :p

Personally speaking, it would be fine with me if I never heard anything about Carth ever again. The only one I really missed was HK. I was convinced he was going to turn up at a crucial moment and shoot some meatbags. Alas, twas not to be.

What's possibly even more upsetting is what apparently happens in the TOR game:
    Revan is freed by Jedi characters but doesn't get to kill Vitiate or even participate in his demise. He is killed by Sith characters. He seems to have become "corrupted", possibly due to the influence of Vitiate's mind over the centuries, and wants to see the entire Sith species eradicated. When he dies his dialogue is similar to that of Malak after his defeat at the end of the first KOTOR game:
    And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

I would love to have a Canderous book.

7. Set Harth

If they ever do a KOTOR film, Canderous should be played by Alec Baldwin.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I actually quite liked the novel, though admittedly that might in large part be due to not expecting it to give the "final word" on Revan. My only gripe with it was how easily Meetra Surik was taken down, but she did have her attention focused on Vitiate, rather than her "ally" so I buy it from a surprise perspective - especially considering how suddenly Scourge's mind was changed by his Force vision.

Mr Light: For what it's worth, I would recommend not moving onto Fatal Alliance after you finish Deceived. I thought Deceived and Revan were both really good, but Fatal Alliance was awful.

In a manner of speaking, yes, though I believe only the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior classes ever interact directly with Vitiate.

Darth Malgus is another prominent character in the game. He issues certain "Flashpoint" missions (requiring groups of 4 players), and becomes the subject of at least one of those himself.

I haven't played the Flashpoint quest myself, so this is all based on what I've read on the official forums and so on. Malgus apparently declares a "New Empire" and attempts to split away from the Sith Empire, so the Imperial players are tasked with shutting him down. I assume he is motivated by learning about Vitiate's plan to eradicate the galaxy of life to ensure his own immortality.

Some changes have been made to the Flashpoint quest in which this occurs.
    Revan no longer dies, but instead disappears. I haven't played the quest myself, so I'm not sure if it's treated as a "becoming one with the Force" situation or not.

9. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Makes you wonder what will happen to Commander Shepard in a few years time.

"Goodbye n00bpwn3r69. Thank you." *gunshot*

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate that book. Oh let me count the ways.

All of which is extremely contrived and a huge pill to swallow. And it isn't even just that, it's the fact that she's portrayed through the entire book as a whimpering, useless lackey--not even a good one.

It was so blatantly intentional on Bioware's part to boot. It comes across as childish and vindictive, not to mention unprofessional.

Star Wars does the Borg. :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Immediately after Williams made his pitch, one of TPTB should have handed him a little plastic cup.

I think they did it that way to keep their options open for expansions.

11. Set Harth

I think you're imagining things.

12. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Considering that Obsidian basically took a giant dump all over Bioware's work, I thought Karpyshyn was a class act for treating them as respectfully as he did. If I were writing it, I would have made at least a few snarky references to how unfinished, incoherent and nonsensical KOTOR 2 was.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was perfectly coherent and made plenty of sense, and it's incompleteness had nothing to do with Obsidian.