Star Trek TNG Wanted To Replace Will Riker With His Doppelganger

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ar-Pharazon, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Has anyone heard this story? I seem to remember hearing something, but if I did it's been a while.

Sort of shaking things up without losing the actor. It might have been interesting, but apparently Berman ultimately nixed it because he was already thinking about the films.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

A real shame, I wouldn't kill Will but make him captain of his own ship.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I still want to see Thomas again.

Preferably happy, doing well and not to be killed off.

4. Herbert

Herbert Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. It would have afforded them the perfect opportunity to finally promote Will to captain and then replace him with Thomas, while keeping Frakes as the actor.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Writer and occasional starship commander Premium Member

It would've reinvigorated a character who had become stale by that point in the series.

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  6. JesterFace

JesterFace Commodore Commodore

I think I like it better that Will stayed. If his replacement did have a role, he definately couldn't be the 1st officer, maybe not even a member of the crew after being away from Starfleet for almost a decade. If he wanted to be in Starfleet he might have to go back to the academy to learn about all the new tech, what was going on with different species and so on. Had Will been replaced, there wouldn't be a bridge officer position open for Tom very easily.

At first it was fun to see Riker on DS9 as Tom. But, somehow I got the feeling that "our" Will wouldn't join the Maquis. The years alone on a planet must have changed him. They were identical to the point when the duplication happened. Could "our" Riker become a terrorist after years in solitude? Looks like it.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spending about half a season with Babyface Riker getting to know all the new tech and races would be pretty cool. As fans, we'd get a showcase about how much happened in-universe in all those years.

Klingon civil war? Romulans are back? The Borg? Plus, seeing Data trying to fit into his new role would be interesting, not to mention finally some good stuff for Marina Sirtis, with Troi trying to get to terms with this man on board, the version of Riker that never left her and still love her like he did then, but also aware there's a version of him out there who loves her now, in a new way and has matured. What does she feel? How does she deal with that?

8. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't just isolation. There was isolation, survival struggle, assuming they thought him dead, & 8 years of wasted life, but it really got worse when they found him.

He learned they not only didn't think he was dead, but that they never bothered with him at all. He returns to learn someone else reaped the benefits of his sacrifice & heroism, assuming his life, distinguishing himself so much that he'll always be Riker Prime, reducing Tom to "The Other Riker".

He saw all he valued in his life (Captaincy aims & Troi's love) squandered by Will, making achieving them less likely, because he looks similarly unsuitable. Plus, his only victory of being posted to the Gandhi? Well, when Will outs himself about the Pegasus, he outs Tom as well, surely forcing him to testify also.

As much as Will's career was sullied by the scandal, but he had years of good service to keep him in good enough favor, Tom had no such accolades to support him, having only been back a year. Plus, he didn't even have the benefit of having been the whistleblower himself. He had to be publicly outed by Will, as a conspirator.

This could've made life & career very difficult for Tom on his ship, enough to disillusion him greatly with Starfleet entirely, once he'd found out about the Maqui situation. Now... do I think Will is capable of turning out the very same way under THOSE same circumstances? Absolutely. It was one soul crushing gut punch after another, ever since they found his sorry ass. Tom got more F###ed over than any Trek character ever

JesterFace and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would've definitely shaken up the show. Thomas would've had a whole different relationship with the crew and after being alone for so long would have a whole new set of issues to deal with, plus we'd get Data as Number One and see if what Hobson believes about an Android in command is true or not.

It is a shame that TNG never did make any major changes as the show went along, help characters develop and grow in new and previously unexpected ways.