Star Trek TMP BR/4K Upgrade On Social Media

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Vger23, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought some of you would like to jump on this. I know I did!

Twitter:
    @tmpblu

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Peti...-Directors-Edition-on-Blu-Ray/424844814227923

Personally, not only would I like to see the movie upgraded, but I think it deserves the same treatment that Close Encounters and Blade Runner have gotten where every version of the film is available in one collector set. I've never signed a Star Trek petition in my life, but quite honestly I do believe this is one where Paramont needs to hear my voice! If you feel the same way, jump on!

MFB likes this.
  2. Vger23

Mods- not sure why my thread title ends with "I've never signed..." but that was not my intent. Can you fix please?

Thank you!

3. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

I don't know if I'd go for a Blu-Ray release of just the TMP DE, but I could definitely get behind a collector's set rounding up the various versions of the film. I'd love to have the Special Longer Version of TMP on Blu-Ray. That's always been my favorite version of the film.

PhotoBoy and Armus like this.
  4. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I'm not on facebook anymore so I can't sign. I want to see the 143 minute version(the special longer cut that was available on VHS for many years) on BluRay included on that but I read somewhere that Robert Wise wanted that cut mothballed before he agreed to participate in the Director's Edition. Has anyone heard that?

[​IMG]

PhotoBoy likes this.
  5. Vger23

That would be a shame if true. I like all 3 versions for what they are. That said, and I mean no disrespect to the late Mr. Wise, but it's not really his call anymore.

Armus and BillJ like this.
  6. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

The Special Longer Version on BluRay ... shut up and take my money!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Pauln6, PhotoBoy, BillJ and 3 others like this.
  7. Vger23

Even if they just released it on Netflix or something...

8. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I remember that version. There was a(n unfinished) shot of Kirk exiting one of the ports on the underside of the primary hull. The set was partially built, and the rest was a wood framework.

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was awfully shortsighted of them to only master the Director's Edition in standard definition.

Even the special theatrical showing of the DE that they did at the time was a projection of the DVD. :rolleyes:

Kor

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

As I recall, the new CGI was done in 1080p (or at least 720p) despite the finished product being finally rendered and produced at NTSC resolution, and Daren Dochterman says he still has the master files, but Paramount won't pony up to actually remaster the film.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

900-1080p models and textures, output as 480i scene files. Nothing done reached 4K though, so they'd need to start from scratch anyway probably.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Would love to have all three versions of the film on Blu-ray/4K. Would be a day one purchase for me. I don't see it ever happening. I just don't think there's enough people who would buy it.

13. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It's an absolute crying shame that the most epic, visually stunning pre-reboot trek movie is being effectively consigned to the dustbin in this way. It would be a day one purchase for me too. I'd even take a blu ray of the DE with the extra effects just left at their native resolution.

Vger23 likes this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Edit back in the FULL version of the Kirk/McCoy argument scene ("And another thing..." / "Get out of here, Bones.") and I'm in.

srsly, why the actual hell was that scene so badly edited in the theatrical cut and the DE? It requires NO effects. Why didn't they just leave it alone? The SLV version of that scene is the only version that makes sense!

PhotoBoy likes this.
  15. Vger23

I wouldn't say that Blade Runner or Close Encounters have any different a modern following than Star Trek though...perhaps even less so, and those studios took the leap of faith.

PhotoBoy likes this.
  16. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Plus if it's done well, like as described in this thread it's not like we're being double dipped for something we already have. This film needs a definitive hi def release with the updated effects. The other TOS films are fine as they are, largely and could be included as is in a box set. I still don't own the blu rays of movies 1 to 10 in the hope of a decent release despite an otherwise decent collection.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That was, what, six-plus years ago. There just isn't the same desire for physical media now.

18. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Whether physical or digital, TMP needs a 4K presentation, preferably with all versions.

That model and those sets are just too amazing to not be in 4K.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  19. Vger23

Good point.

20. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

A remastered blu ray 4k special edition of the theatrical, director and SLV cut of TMP in one package?

Take my money now!

Pauln6, Galileo7, PhotoBoy and 2 others like this.