Star Trek: The Experience

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Britstan, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Britstan

Britstan Ensign Newbie

Did anyone here ever have a chance to go to the Star Trek: The Experience theme attraction in Las Vegas while it was still open? (closed in 2008).

If you got a chance to see it, was it any good? Should they reopen another version?

2. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Commander

Yeah I got to see Star Trek the experience back in June 2006. It was awesome! The Borg 4-D invasion was my favorite of the two rides, but I did the Klingon Encounter, too. I also had dinner at Quarks and talked to the Klingon actors. It was fun!

I had read a while back that they were trying to re-open Star Trek the Experience at another location in Vegas prior to the new movie, but it never happened. I think all the sets and contents of the Star Trek museum have been sold or auctioned off by now. So, considering that, and how long its been since Star Trek the Experience closed, I think the chances of me getting attacked by a shark, struck by lightning, and winning the lottery all at once, are greater than Star Trek the Experience reopening.

3. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

A work colleague of mine went, she said it was an amazing place!

She was apparently verbally abused by a drunk Klingon. Which is nice.

4. jim hadar

jim hadar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went back in 2001 and had a great time, too bad it closed, it was a very neat place.

I got into an "arguement" in one of the shops with a Ferengi when I told a woman not to buy anything from the Ferengi that was harassing her to buy some trinket from him. He went into a 30 second tirade about how "you hewmons are all alike" basically how we think that we are superior to Ferengi but really aren't. The actors knew their stuff, as he was very convincing.

We had a Romulan waiter at Quarks who I kept insisting was Tal Shir, he kept insisting in a mock paranoid way that he was not. My 6 year-old son was fascinated with the Bat'leth one of the Klingons had, and he let him hold it for a picture, he also offered Blood Wine which we had to decline.

The props, the makeup and the actors were top notch. The ride was great, as was being on the Enterprise D bridge, just a fun time for all.
    :techman:

5. heavylids

heavylids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always wanted to go to this, but could never afford the trip. I'm sure if the next couple movies are really successful something else might take its place at the Rio or some other hotel.

6. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Went there a few times over the years... IT WAS AWESOME! Essentially a "mecca" for Trekkers with loads to see and do. Split a Black Hole with the wife, we got pretty drunk! It was great.

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

We went there several times. It was a blast!

The Warp Core breach is the greatest drink ever.

:drool:

We had a Klingon in Quark's, and a guy was sitting at the bar and ordered a white wine. Oh, man! The Klingon was relentless! "Did your mother give you permission to drink, little man?" "Would you like some finger sandwiches with that?" etc. It was hilarious.

The last time we went we did the backstage tour. That was awesome.

I wish it was still around, as we go to Las Vegas frequently.

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved it. Miss it! It was awesome! I remember discussing Klingon politics with one of the Klingons there, while my father (not a fan) just sat there with his jaw open, not understanding. It was great.
    I also "accidentally" started an auto destruct in the shuttle when I started pushing buttons. Riker accused me of being a Klingon spy. Good times.
    Met a very nice Andorian fellow one of the last times I was there.
    [​IMG]

9. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never got a chance to get out there while it was open. What was in those Warp Core Breaches, btw, 1001001? I've heard they're fantastic.

10. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was awesome, and I wish it was still around.

11. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

That's the name of the drink we had! :techman:

Absolutely the greatest drink ever!

12. 1001001

It's every kind of Bacardi there is (about 10 ounces worth I think), mixed with rasberry liqueur and sobe energy drink in a big bowl with dry ice.

[​IMG]

13. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, it's a fish bowl! Nice! Love fish bowls.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I never got a chance to go, but I wish I had. Just interacting with the actors sounds like it would have made the visit worthwhile.

15. Brannigan

Brannigan Commander Red Shirt

I went here the spring before it closed (I was at a conference at the Riviera with a buddy and we were both Star Trek fans). It was fun, the Borg character was walking around and we got our pic with him. We weren't going to do the museum or rides, but ended up doing so. Awesome! The Borg 3-D invasion was so cool. We had two warp core breaches (1 before a conference, so you can guess how that went!). Anyway it was a lot of fun, and I am glad I got to go, because when we were out there, we asked if it was closing and the staff said no, not that they were aware.

16. infinix

infinix Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Big bowl of dry ice? you used a straw to drink out of it, I hope?

I wish I had been to the Star Trek Experience. It was always "I'll do it next year." until it was too late... :wah:

Can we start an online petition to bring it back? in the form of the movie? Like what we did for Firefly?

17. EnterpriseGeek

EnterpriseGeek Ensign Red Shirt

Always wanted to go but never made it

18. 1001001

Certainly. It's huge, and usually shared by several people.

19. Trek4Ever

Trek4Ever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went on two occasions: 2002 and 2005. Out of the two rides I liked the Klingon one the best. Overall the place was a Trek fan's version of Disneyland only with Trek stuff. They had these huge mock up models of the Enterprise A and D along with Voyager and a Klingon Bird of Prey hanging overhead.

The museum which was against a wall/queau was pretty neat. I also liked hanging out at DS9 and interacting with the actors. During lunch I got a member of our party to rub a Ferengi waiter's ears and the Ferengi loved it! She nearly killed me when I told her about what she did. One other thing I remember is drinking the Romulan Ale (blue colored beer) that turned my you know what a differrent color later on!

During the 05 visit I took a behind the scenes tour and found out how they accomplished the transporter effect for visitors, which I admit took some of the fun out of the trick (I also had to sign a confidentiality agreement for the tour).

20. 1001001

We did that too. Having been on that ride many times, we could never figure it out. It was fascinating to see how it really worked.