Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 2x04 - "Among the Lotus Eaters"

Hit it!

• Total voters
There's probably a continuity issue here with Star Trek 5 (which SNW acknowledges as canon via Sybok). Previous non-canon material said Rigel 7 was warp capable, with the Kalar being an oppressed underclass. This is clearly not the case now. However, in Star Trek 5 Kirk talks about singing "Moon over Rigel VII" at the campfire. Considering what SNW establishes, it's practically impossible for Kirk or any other Fed member to visit Rigel 7, much less to the point that a song of its moonlight is publicly known, unless they literally develop warp capability very soon after this week's SNW episode.

The premise was interesting. It was not a bad episode. But it did not really grab me. There was no WOW moment. It felt very paint-by-numbers. The scene with Ortega repeating over and over again "I am a pilot. I fly this ship" was a bit cringey IMO.

I don't like that they call all the helm officers "pilots" now.
That may perhaps be a particular thing to Ortegas.
I get the impression she thinks of herself as a fighter pilot rather than a "Helmsman'.

It's a quirk to her character.

There's probably a continuity issue here with Star Trek 5 (which SNW acknowledges as canon via Sybok). Previous non-canon material said Rigel 7 was warp capable, with the Kalar being an oppressed underclass. This is clearly not the case now. However, in Star Trek 5 Kirk talks about singing "Moon over Rigel VII" at the campfire. Considering what SNW establishes, it's practically impossible for Kirk or any other Fed member to visit Rigel 7, much less to the point that a song of its moonlight is publicly known, unless they literally develop warp capability very soon after this week's SNW episode.
There's a very obvious reason for the Federation to now step in and assist with the development of the citizenry of this planet.

It has been so contaminated by StarFleet personnel that to just go off and leave them to fend on their own, would be a crime.

So, by the time of ST:V, the planet is probably a Fed Member or at the very least a Federation Protectorate.

Last edited:
Spock tells us "Emotions are not Facts." Sorry Spock but this is untrue. Spock has never been taught that truth is accessed through the heart. He thinks emotions are the heart and that facts are truth. Both statements are untrue. The heart is accessed through self reflection, meditation, prayer, thus gaining insight.

Hard disagree. There is no 'my', 'your', 'his', 'her', or any other form of subjective truth. There is only Truth, and it is completely fact based and objective, regardless of someone's 'insight' or 'intuition.' Spock is 100% correct.

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie." -Miyamoto Musashi.

Hard disagree. There is no 'my', 'your', 'his', 'her', or any other form of subjective truth. There is only Truth, and it is completely fact based and objective, regardless of someone's 'insight' or 'intuition.' Spock is 100% correct.

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie." -Miyamoto Musashi.

There's a bit of nuance to this, but I generally agree with you...no matter what the postmodernists say there are some objective truths out there. Elevating all subjective experiences to the same level of truth is how we get flat earthers, antivaxers, election deniers, climate skeptics, etc....

There's a bit of nuance to this, but I generally agree with you...no matter what the postmodernists say there are some objective truths out there. Elevating all subjective experiences to the same level of truth is how we get flat earthers, antivaxers, election deniers, climate skeptics, etc....
What, you mean that our plain of existence is being heated up by hypodermic voting?
;)

Not a sign of Pelia this episode, guess she's stuck in Engineering trying to remember why she feels so old.
:rofl:

The episode is definitely TOS-like - I consider it's a compliment. Dragged scenes? Ehm. I would add ten minutes more (at least).
Pike is finally have the screentime he deserves, but M'Benga, La'an, Ortegas also have really great moments. Una, Uhura, Chapel, Spock, Batel are involved in the story. That's what I think an ensemble show at its best.
Ortegas saved the entire ship, proving that humans' emotions is a strength, not a weakness. Even if it's a fear. Feels for me as a hommage to Chekov's panic in The Deadly Years which saved his bold superior officers ;)

And yes, the whole story feels deep resonating to me. Tinnitus. Migraine. Partial memory loss. A necessity to stay functional despite of that. Panic attacks. Rage attacks. Hmm, I feel seen.

10 from me

However, in Star Trek 5 Kirk talks about singing "Moon over Rigel VII" at the campfire. Considering what SNW establishes, it's practically impossible for Kirk or any other Fed member to visit Rigel 7, much less to the point that a song of its moonlight is publicly known, unless they literally develop warp capability very soon after this week's SNW episode.
I've never rowed a boat, but I know how to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

I've never rowed a boat, but I know how to sing "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."
I doubt such a song would be publicly known only 28 years after boats were invented (and the timeframe of Rigel 7 achieving warp are probably far shorter than the 28 years between this episode and ST5)

If I'm really honest, I found this one a bit boring, just like the previous episode. They could have cut at least 15 minutes. More isn't always better.

I'm not buying Pike and Batel's relationship. Pike feels like he can share his delta radiation vision with Una and heck, even Alora, the overseer of the kid torturing planet Majalis (and if Pike is really so in love with Batel, why was he bedding Alora in that episode anyway?)

Yet Pike obviously isn't in a place where he feels he can share this with Batel (unless he somehow has offscreen). If you feel you can share personal information with just about everyone other than your supposed girlfriend, maybe you should start asking yourself why you can't share this info with your supposed girlfriend and whether said woman should be in the position of girlfriend.

Plus, the concept of Pike's supposed love for Batel leading him back to his memories feels very harsh when we now know that Batel's nowhere around in Menagerie and not mentioned, and she's not there to follow Pike to Talos 4, etc. Unless Batel is outright killed off, sounds like this relationship will end badly.

I doubt such a song would be publicly known only 28 years after boats were invented (and the timeframe of Rigel 7 achieving warp are probably far shorter than the 28 years between this episode and ST5)
Why assume that?
The planet's development had been completely compromised, they essentially are now stuck knowing all about the Federation and its capabilities.
For Star Fleet to just walk away would be unforgivable.

It's also possible that before the asteroid hit the planet the civilization was on the brink of discovering warp power.
After all 1000 years has passed, so there would be little left to indicate this and someone had the knowledge to be able to build the castle walls which blocked the radiation.

Last edited:
I gave it a 5. It was my least favorite so far this season so far. Liked that they visited Rigel VII. Hated all the forgetting, even though that was a main plot point. It became monotonous. It did remind me of a mid-season Voyager that I just wanted to get through to the end.

Back