Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x04 - "Memento Mori"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, May 25, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

40.2%
  2. 9

34.4%
  3. 8

17.7%
  4. 7

4.8%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

1.4%
  7. 4

1.0%
  8. 3

0.5%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    A submarine battle! :adore:

Great stuff.

The Gorn Morse code bit was silly.

Uhura's Song likes this.
  2. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

The weakest episode IMO. For some reason, the Gorn stuff annoyed me. I would have preferred to have an unknown antagonist without the name dropping from La'an, who equally is annoying. However, the space visuals were awesome, especially with the Enterprise and the Gorn ships trying to maneuver a la WOK. Classic submarine battles have always been my favorite. I give it a 7.5 score. Until next time...

3. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

If only they had a shield bubble. They could have extended it over the other ship

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This is what I've been waiting for since 2015.

Fucking 10.

5. Saumyajit

Saumyajit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Rated 9.

Solid episode, the best do far in my book. Only thing I didn't like was how they mind melded to figure out how to send a signal with a specific meaning for the gorn. It kind of stretched limits of credibility.

Otherwise the canon has been protected with no real contact. Visuals were great, more science fictioney than other episodes.

One small complain with the doctor. So far he comes across as uninventive and lacking in confidence and very much a support cast. The nurse seems more important than him in the sickbay. I don't know if that is intentional, otherwise we need an episode focused on him.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

*To elaborate: it was as close to the Oh Nine cold open (Which is, IMO, the best 15 minutes of Star Trek.) in episode form that we're probably ever going to see.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, this was a very good one, about on par with the pilot episode. Solid tension, action and plotting, some good stuff from La'an and Ortegas. The other characters shine well also. Not sure I like the villainisation of the Gorn, but we'll see.

My one quibble is a pet peeve of mine: why, oh WHY still in 2022 do fiction writers STILL use the bonkers and long-debunked "theories" about repressed memories and subconscious minds? This takes a minute to check.

It isn't moving faster than light, just really close to it. This is a real effect near the event horizon.

Uhura's Song and Trekker4747 like this.
  8. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Great episode but only weakness was what the end not addressing the colonists - wished there had been something there, even a line.

ThreeEdgedSword and Nyotarules like this.
  9. Belz...

Oh!! And I was right about the big red door. It IS an airlock, more specifically portside.

[​IMG]

Jedi Marso, Ar-Pharazon and GNDN18 like this.
  10. thribs

So did the brown dwarf shrink the Enterprise back to its proper size? :)
    It’s nice that they have a red shirt day. To remember their red shirts.

Saumyajit likes this.
  11. JLBTucker

JLBTucker Commander Red Shirt

wow... that was great best episode so far, solid submarine action. Those canon nitpickers will be happy since they never show the Gorn and the only person who has seen one and lived is to traumatized to remember much about them

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    Uhura's Song likes this.
  12. thribs

It’s canon. A cannon is a weapon. I’m sorry but that mistake just irritates me. :)
    I wish they created their own alien race for this. It would make the mystery more interesting.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  13. JLBTucker

BuT FaNZ SeRvIce

Yeah I make that mistake alot

14. Belz...

*A lot. ;)

Markonian, Jack Wolfe and Trekker4747 like this.
  15. JLBTucker

My subject of major was History, I've never been a good writer. Most common complainant in high school and college was. "This paper on Victorian era Great Britain's middle eastern policy is brilliant but your grammar is trash"

16. Belz...

*Complaint.

I know, I know. I'm evil.

Markonian and Jack Wolfe like this.
  17. JLBTucker

Believe me this is the internet, I've seen so much worse. Also this is Star Trek not English, youre supposed to be stupidly nitpicking the show not my grammar

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  18. Belz...

But this is the internet. I'm supposed to be nitpicking everything. ;)

Markonian likes this.
  19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Geez, all the arguing in this thread about when Kirk met Pike and if the Gorn here is a canon violation… what? Wait, something’s not right? Oh sorry:

OH N03S! NOT TEH CANNON!!!!!!111one!!!,!1on31!,!*

Ahem, better.

Anyway, really enjoyed this one. Loved the Run Silent, Run Deep-ness of it all. Liked the character development for Na’an, Uhura and Hemmer. Continue to much prefer Chapel here than in TOS. She’s actually a character and a hella fun one at that. The moment at the end where Una woke up and saw the IV connected to M’Benga was nice as well.

Only thing not granting it a higher score was the overabundance of technobabble. 8/10 for me.

*I seriously need to macro that shit. It’s getting tedious to type out.

20. JLBTucker

I'm just glad they shut up the nitpickers beforehand. Not showing the gorn was a deliberate move to get fans to be a little less annoying. I stopped nitpicking trek a long time ago, it doesn't really do any good

Ar-Pharazon and Campe like this.