Star Trek scriptwriters' work on other shows

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Talos IV, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Talos IV

Talos IV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've noticed solid scripts from Gene L. Coon and D.C. Fontana on other TV series. Coon was an established TV writer well before STAR TREK, and of course Fontana's writing career lasted for decades later.

This morning I watched a MANNIX episode ("The Crimson Halo") with an exceptionally well-written script by Shimon Wincelberg (aka S. Bar-David). The dialogue Wincelberg wrote for both "Dagger of the Mind" and "The Galileo Seven" was quite good, and his MANNIX script has crisp, creative dialogue too. He also wrote LOST IN SPACE's premiere episode -- whatever you might think of that series, "The Reluctant Stowaway" has some damn good writing in it.

Other scripts you've admired?

Scott Kellogg likes this.
  2. Scott Kellogg

Scott Kellogg Commander Red Shirt

I remember seeing Gene Roddenberry's name on an episode of "Have Gun Will Travel" It was about Paladin evading a posse while on camelback.

David Gerrold was story editor for "The Land Of The Lost."

I've seen Gene Coon credited on "Combat!"

Qonundrum and Spock's Barber like this.
  3. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

John Knuebuhl worked on the story for Bread and Circuses. He also wrote 8 scripts for The Wild, Wild West, and he created the character of Dr. Miguelito Loveless.

Henoch and Scott Kellogg like this.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Harlan Ellison, of course, wrote two memorable segments of The Outer Limits: "Demon With A Glass Hand" and "Soldier".

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

DC Fontana wrote Land of the Lost too, and He-Man...

Stephen Kandel worked on Wonder Woman...

6. Scott Kellogg

Scott Kellogg Commander Red Shirt

As someone else noted:
    DC Fontana was story editor for the "Logan's Run" series.
    David Gerrold contributed at least one story,
    as did Shimon Wincelberg
    and Harlan Ellison as well.

Harlan Ellison on the other hand wrote the pilot episode for "The Starlost."
    He later claimed that his script was mutilated, but I've read an adaptation of his original script, and no significant changes were made. My guess is he was just appalled by the production values and acting and didn't want his name on it.

Shimon Wincelberg also contributed an episode to Starlost.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Roddenberry wrote like 24 episodes of Have Gun Wil Travel. He liked to call himself "head writer" but he didn't have an official position on the series.

8. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Richard Matheson, of course, wrote several classic TWILIGHT ZONE eps, among many other things.

Robert Bloch was a regular contributor to ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS. (Stumbled onto one of his episodes on MeTV just the other day.)

publiusr and Scott Kellogg like this.