STAR TREK: PICARD Premieres with the Biggest Audience in the History of CTV Sci-Fi Channel

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Lorcan Kelly, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Lorcan Kelly

Lorcan Kelly Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is fantastic news guys and goes to show how excited people are for this new show.

bellmedia.ca/the-lede/press/star-trek-picard-premieres-with-the-biggest-audience-in-the-history-of-ctv-sci-fi-channel/

Dryson likes this.
  2. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Star Trek always delivers.

Lorcan Kelly likes this.
  3. Lorcan Kelly

This show really deserved it. I was really happy when i saw this today.

Terok Nor likes this.
  4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not exactly surprising. Even if its makers say it's not a sequel, the sheer fact TNG hit the popcultural zeitgeist and nostalgia are two obvious reasons for the big big ratings.

I'd love to see ratings are 1.5x higher than they are now, regardless if 50 million smokers are right or not. Right now I'd hypothesize the ratings are more likely going go down and continue to do so. save for very special episodes where other TNG cast members pop in to say hi where chances are a handful of people will return for that one week event.

5. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

I'm really happy for Sir Patrick (for the others as well of course but hey, he's my main concern, as always) that the show seems to be such a success. :)

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The history of CTV Sci-Fi Channel." Considering the channel only just launched September 2019, and this is the first high profile premiere they've had, that's not much of an accomplishment.

Okay, I was going to assume they were tallying back to the days of Space and decided to read the article, but after reading the article, Picard's premiere seems to have made equal numbers to the premiere of Stargate Universe on Space back in 2009 (and that was touted as a record breaker at the time), so it looks like they are just measuring back the past four months. Weird.

Now I will say that these are impressive numbers for Picard considering Crave TV (a Canadian streaming service) had the premiere available over twelve hours before it aired on CTV Sci-Fi. When I found that out on Thursday I thought Bell Media (who owns CTV Sci-Fi and Crave) were shooting themselves in the foot allowing that, but clearly not that many in Canada must get Crave.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get crave automatically as part of my cable package.

8. Doctor Tiki

Doctor Tiki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, Star Trek found its audience through syndicated TV, not network TV; then it was first to bring the show on DVD; I wouldn't be surprised to find the first bluerays from Star Trek, too.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I still have all my Two-Episode, TOS DVD's in a box.
    Those were fun days of collecting.
    :hugegrin:

10. Lorcan Kelly

Would be interesting to see if Amazon prime release viewing figures but not sure if they do that for any of their shows.

11. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's how the networks put their spin on the numbers. Watch what the US networks do when the fall season starts. They all will tout that they have the #1 show in America, but they'll all be using different metrics (total number of viewers, viewers in the 18-49 demo, etc.).

12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Has anyone compared the episode to see if there were scenes on Crave that were deleted for SCI-FI, in order for Sci-Fi to air it in a traditional 1-hour timeblock with commercials. I know on the Blu-Ray, some of “Discovery”’s episodes run for odd lengths that wouldn’t work for traditional broadcast with commercials (unless with the 12-minutes for paid commercials that the CRTC allows in a 1-hour timeslot, CTV airs a ton of PSA’s for those episodes in order to bring the show to the half-hour/hour).

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The official runtime for Remembrance is 44 minutes according to IMDB, that easily fits into a 1 hour timeslot with commercials. Indeed, on my cable's on demand, the episode is listed as 47 minutes, but that's likely taking into account the commercials they include there.

Besides, when Disco had an episode that wouldn't fit into the 1 hour timeslot, Space always allowed it to overlap, meaning the episode would end at ten after the next hour, or quarter after or whatever. They did the same with Doctor Who, which CTV Sci-Fi is continuing to do as well. So in the even Picard has an episode that wouldn't fit into the 1 hour timeslot, I imagine they'll do the same.