Spoilers Star Trek: Picard 3x01 - "The Next Generation"

Engage!

• Total voters
I thought about Shaw. I think he clearly just hates 'Starfleet Celebrities'. There's probably more than a few people in Starfleet who do.

I can imagine that having probably had to slowly climb the ladder towards captaincy himself that he'd resent having just such a celebrity retired admiral foist a celebrity friend (barely out of the academy) onto him as an XO.

I think he's just not impressed by all the adventuring bullshit and doesn't want any part of it. I see deadnaming, but equally I see someone who just wants a first officer, not 'the legendary X-B who rode back in Voyager all the way from the Delta Quadrant'. Hence Commander Hansen instead of Commander Seven.
Shaw needs to shave his beard down to a mustache; and get a night-stick. Then he's perfect as his part. ;)

I was watching a clip from star trek the search for Spock when they leave space dock and I will have to say it looks better than the Picard space dock segment. It looks more real and just seems to carry more weight. The Titan also wasn't rendered as good as we've seen other movies. With that said it was done pretty decent for a TV budget..

I was watching a clip from star trek the search for Spock when they leave space dock and I will have to say it looks better than the Picard space dock segment. It looks more real and just seems to carry more weight. The Titan also wasn't rendered as good as we've seen other movies. With that said it was done pretty decent for a TV budget..
Practical Effects vs. CGI. Practical Effects will always look better. I gave up on that one over 20 years ago.

It is the skeleton of Riker’s Titan:
Launched in 2402 under the command of Captain Liam Shaw. Work began on a refit using the original Titan space frame, however, with the development of cutting-edge propulsion technology, the Titan’s design changed mid-construction and a new ship took form.
Which is ridiculous. They clearly wanted it to be Riker's old ship and yet a completely new one at the same time, while also being a retro Constitution class. So it's apparently both new, very old and of medium age, all at the same time. For me, the Titan and everything around it (including its looks from most angles) is a big downer for this episode.

If they wanted it to be Riker's vessel, then take the Luna class vessel as it appeared in Lower Decks. Then it is his vessel.
If they want their favourite STO design, then use it but don't pretend it is Riker's vessel with that "original parts" thing (the frame of Riker's Titan is totally different from the Titan-A).

Only good thing about the Titan-A are the LCARS interfaces and the warp speed, which is appropriately high for something set post-Voyager and post-Prodigy.

I also disliked Seven disobeying orders. It would have been better if they had come clean with Shaw and he had relented, after seeing clean through their inspection bullshit. Now Seven should be court martialled along with the other two, but I doubt that will happen as they all have a big role to play.

Not big on Riker's apparent marital problems either, though that is probably related to real world reasons regarding filming opportunities for Marina Sirtis (and probably the wish to not have to contract and pay Kestra's actress :sigh:).

Also ridiculous - the pumpaction phasers that have like 5 shots. Crusher would have been better off using a modern assault rifle or automatic shotgun from the real world.

Otherwise it was enjoyable, the tension is nice, Raffi was indeed tolerable, Laris was handled suprisingly well, Shaw is a good character who takes no shit, and the weapon of doom du jour is at least properly impressive. The mystery box so far is looking good, hopefully it pays off.

I believe Klingons are due to turn up in the second season of SNW.

And no, they won't be the monstrous DSC Klingons. More like the ones we're used to.

Klingons need to piss off to Sto-vo-kor and never show up again. Discovery Klingons gave me some interest but that's wained now, so no Klingons. Plenty of other hostile actors out there. Don't need another story of "Oh, the Klingons use to be our allies but then Blarg-blarg the Barbarian declared it bad."

SNW can go do SNW.

I think we should see Klingons in DSC again at some point. Or, if they're not around anymore, let's at least hear about that. "They killed themselves in the Great Tribble War!" Whatever works. Love them or hate them, they're a Major Star Trek Race. And the last one we haven't gotten an update on in Disco yet.

I don't count the Borg, because that's not Discovery's story to tell, plus Picard and whatever spin-offs come out of it should have the space to tell their story.

So how does the inspection notification work? Did Picard and Riker just contact the Titan and tell them they were doing a surprise inspection? No notification from Starfleet expected. No one from the Titan mentions it to Starfleet command?
That's a good question. I think Shaw's attitude shows that he didn't believe it, from the start, but he was willing to play along for a while (but not doing anything going against his actual orders, from active duty admirals responsible for his operations).

Back