Star Trek Phase II- how can I watch this?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Chrisisall, May 28, 2010.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I just discovered this, and it looks SO cool, but when I try to watch it online, it pauses for 3 minutes every other minute... it's makin' me nuts! Is there a place I can just buy a DVD of it to play? I saw a place to download it, but it has VCD-PAL-NTSC-BIT-TORRENT-STREAM...all this means nothing to me-

HELP!!!!

Pressplayisall:eek:

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Dude! You just discovered us? Why not simply take a knife and plunge it into my heart?

I'm glad you found us. Yes, our delivery methods are clunky. The drawback of shooting in HD is that it requires a lot of bandwidth, so you're going to get a lot of buffering. You can click on "pause" and wait for the whole thing to load while it's paused. Once it's all downloaded, click play again and watch it without the buffering. Or you can watch the episodes on YouTube--although that's not really ideal either.

Or PM me. I can probably hook you up with something better.

And, of course, there's the Fan Productions forum with all the associated Star Trek Phase II topics. There's some good reading there.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. Chrisisall

I've only been posting here since I got the TOS Remastered & the new movie came out... sorry.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, you just posted on the other thread, and I figured anyone who so *gets* Trek, I should look at whatever they link to, so I clicked and WOW!!!!!
    D'oh!!! That's what my Son said to do.... he's right again.:shifty: Eleven-year-old know-it-all...
    I guess I'm just a bit impatient- the stuff just looks so gorram excellent!!!!:techman:
    I will peruse!

On the small bit we watched, my Son said, "OMG, they're DESTROYING the Enterprise!!! I don't like this!" (He hated that part in Star Trek III) I think he'll get into it though.

Thanks!!!!:techman:

4. GSchnitzer

Well, with an eleven year old kid, you might want to start wtih our Sulu episode "World Enough and Time" before you jump in with "Blood and Fire." (I'm not sure what "Blood and Fire" would be rated if we actually had these things rated officially.) I'm not sure I'd let my ten year old daughter watch "Blood and Fire" just yet. But "World Enough and Time" is fine.

And be forewarned: there are Star Trek fans who actually don't believe that I or we at Phase II "get" Star Trek. I don't agree, but I don't want to be dismissive of their valuable opinions.

5. Chrisisall

Well said, Ambassador Schnitzer!:techman:

6. Chrisisall

I'm starting with the first ep now, waiting for the download as I type. I *can't* believe the production values!!! If only the peeps in '66 could do some of this!!!:alienblush:

7. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

GSchnitzer, thanks for getting me going on that; I just watched the first ep, and it was delightful! I was wondering if there is a digital copy for iPod; or if there is a download I can Handbrake into one. I just watched the episode at the website. I didn't have any trouble with it loading, though.

8. Chrisisall

What did you think of the writing? Very not bad, as John Spartan would say!:techman:

9. Jeri

Well, I hope no one will take this amiss, but I was laughing with delight all the way through it. So many fun things! My eyes about popped out when I saw Barbara Luna -- and William Windom! The music, the colors, the energy of the cast and production crew -- it was pure pleasure.

10. GSchnitzer

Yes--and that's just the *crappy* episode. You should watch the good ones.

(We actually love *all* our children--including the ones that are somewhat handicapped.)

We're aware that our fan-based episodes can be a bit of an acquired taste. But if you can feel the love we pour into every frame, it's all worth it to us.

11. Chrisisall

Can you believe it's not a for-profit production???
    The very essence of our inevitable future of co-operative effort!
    OOps! Don't mean to piss off strident Capitalist Starfleet peeps with High-up Ferengi ties....:guffaw:

12. GSchnitzer

Jeri:

You can download our episodes in a variety of formats (including MP4 format) here:

http://phase2trek.com/home.html

13. Jeri

GS, thanks -- I did see that; thanks! ...I was wondering if there are any that aren't in pieces.

And yes, I can certainly feel the love; it's wonderful.

14. GSchnitzer

Not it pieces? Yeah we have them somewhere. I'll check with our IT guys and see if I can find who might be hosting the full, un-broken-down files. (They are just so darn huge and unwieldy.)

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I have the same problem. Their website is useless. Fortunately, there's this thing called "Youtube". There, you have to watch an episode in something like eight parts, but at least, you can watch it.

16. Jptrekker

Jptrekker Captain Captain

^^put them in a playlist and then turn autoplay on, voila!

17. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

They got William Windom? :eek::eek: I heard he hated Star Trek! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I may actually be interested now.
    (Apologies to the people involved; it's just not my cup o' tea, no offense intended.)

18. GSchnitzer

No offense taken.

I understand it not being your cup of tea. But you might want to taste the tea first before deciding that it's not yours.

We might also want to move these discussions of our silly fan-based production over to the Fan Production section instead of keeping them here in the TOS section.

19. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I did watch the Center Seat vignette. I'm not sure if that was meant to be a selling piece or not, but I resisted my usual impulse to watch everything in order (meaning that I'd watch the prototypical pilot first). But it's really just the concept itself; having other actors playing the TOS characters. If I want to see TOS, I'll watch TOS (there are still some episodes I've only seen once or twice). Unless the new actors were just brilliant, you'd never really be able to capture the true flavor of the show to my tastes, because for me, it's all about the way that Shatner, Nimoy, et al bring the characters to life. I don't believe for a moment that Spock would've been so wildly popular if he'd been played by Larry Montaigne or even Martin Landau. So, to see these roles filled by people who not only aren't the ones who made the roles great, but are also amateurs (no offense again, but they aren't professionals, right?), it's just not the same.
    So, I could never really watch the show as "further Star Trek adventures," but I do try to be open-minded (and fail sometimes, I'll admit), so I might just try to approach this more as just a loving homage.

I have already downloaded In Harm's Way, but I'm not even happy about the recasting for STXI, so there's nothing to fell bad about if I don't like your cast either. :)

20. GSchnitzer

I understand the "you can't recast and still call it Star Trek" notion. It's an important concern and not easily dismissed. But we took the position (rightfully or wrongfully, but we've made our bed and now we have to lie in it), that other actors can assume the roles and tell further Trek-ish adventures. We've seen Kirstie Alley followed by Robin Curtis. And we've seen the great character of Hamlet portrayed by different actors over the centuries. Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, and Superman have all been portrayed by multiple actors. We love Bill and Leonard and De and Jimmy--and we love Nichelle and George and Walter and Majel and Grace Lee, too. But we love the characters and the stories so much that we don't think these actors have a corner on the market anymore in how to portray the characters. We don't think the untangible "flavor" of Star Trek is so inextricably bound to the original actors; art design, props, sets, make-up, costumes, lighting, cinematography, writing, sound, visual effects, and music make up a not-inconsequential part of the Star Trek flavor.

Like I said: we understand it's an acquired taste and that it is simply unpalatable to some people.

P.S. Most of our actors are amateurs but some are SAG professionals; it's an odd hybrid model we have.