Spoilers Lower Decks General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by mdtauk, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

Having just finished watching all of Rick and Morty for the first time (first half season was a little rough, but it was all pretty awesome after that) I am now looking forward to this more than ever. I hope they don't take Trek so self serious that they can't make a little fun of it, just so long as they honor the value of Trek.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

please god!!! that boimler is a betazoid and not a boring human!

Jinn and fireproof78 like this.
  3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-trek-lower-decks-cast-cbs-all-access-1203274360/

Animation style revealed (visit article to see sample)

Looks largely good! But Google Glass and an iPad? That's already proof the show isn't taking itself seriously (60s and 80s Trek usually think ahead to new technology before it happens and are a positive trendsetter that don't latch onto already established fads) but that style of drawing IS excellent. Forget a thousand words as those are never the same in the end. Let's see the show!

4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean a PADD, that's be the staple for Trek since TOS?

This show is only set one year after Nemesis, I don't see the tech changing that much.

danellis and Oz Trekkie like this.
  5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Tosk likes this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, is Lt Shaxs the Chief Engineer or the Chief of Security?

7. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to wonder if the choice to set it only one year after Nemesis is basically because it allows them to use basically everyone from TNG/DS9/VOY in a cameo if they so desire?

I mean, it would have to be plot relevant of course, but considering it's supposed to be more episodic I could see them "going there" a couple times a season. Since it's all voice acting, they don't have to worry about anyone having aged. And since it's so close to where the shows left off, it's plausible most people would be pretty much the same as we last saw them, without much need for catch up.

J47 likes this.
  8. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, since most of them have black pupils, it looks like much of the cast is at least part-Betazoid.

9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Things that have been a part of Trek since TOS and TNG...? What an odd thing to be on about. :shrug::vulcan:

10. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I love the caitian doctor!

Kzinti, Nyotarules and The Wormhole like this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the Caitian doctor is as grumpy as she looks.

12. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

he is a Bajoran security chief without a doubt, the maths of the federation are very complicated for them.

13. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I would like them to have a mission in the Cardassian space and we can see Garak!

14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going over the Variety articles and images, and no real other sources, here are some points and hypotheses I want to make:

- The four main characters are Ensigns Brad Boimler, Beckett Mariner, Rutherford, and Tendi. Rutherford doesn't have a first name in any source, but looks like a cyborg. Rutherford is an engineer and Tendi works in the medical bay (Doctor? Medical technician?).
    - Mariner is holding a Bat'leth, so she might have some connection to Klingons (raised by them? just a fan?). She also rolls up her sleeve, which makes me think she might be a shuttle pilot or some kind of technical, low-rung job in the command division.
    - Boimler, almost certainly a human, has been described as a stickler for the rules and wanting to be Captain. He appears to be the main character. It's probably a bit of an ensemble though. Boimler's a real last name, but kinda rare, so maybe it could be a hint at alien parentage.
    - That's a weird hallway, presumably on the California-class USS Cerritos (Cerritos is a city in California), that Rutherford is standing in. It has at least six bunks, probably much more, spiraling away. The lower decks all sleep in giant barracks on the ship? We saw something similar on the USS Excelsior, but not as large. I assume these four might just share one room, and this is either a stylized depiction, or just some sleeper ship seen in an episode.
    - Commander Jack Ransom, voiced by Rebecca Romijn's husband (neat), could maybe, possibly, be related to Captain Rudy Ransom of the Equinox (RIP).
    - Lieutenant Shaxs is probably security, which leaves one to wonder who Rutherford's boss in engineering is. None of the Lower Deck officers are security, making me think they will do jokes on the revolving door of Shaxs' staff. Shaxs doesn't sound like a Bajoran to me. Should've ended on a vowel.
    - But then again, Ransom, as XO is probably Mariner and Boimler's boss, T'ana definitely Tendi's boss, and that means Shaxs should be Rutherford's boss. If the drawing is representative of who our cast is reporting too, maybe he's just a bulky-looking, intimidating Chief Engineer. As a juxtaposition, the joke could work, although his low rank (Lt.) implies security chief.

antinoos likes this.
  15. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

Looking at the small amount of backgrounds we have seen, the ship looks like its a Pre-Galaxy Class ship, with updated Nemesis coloured LCARS.

Holodeck is TNG styled.
    [​IMG]

The Corridor looks to be angled like the TOS Movies and TNG corridors (without the tan colours)
    [​IMG]

The View Screen feels like the Galaxy Bridge, (without the tan colours)
    [​IMG]

The barracks/ensign quarters look like the Defiant's but without separating walls.
    [​IMG]

The Bar/Mess Hall looks more like The Orville, or one of the Ent D lounges (not Ten Forward)

Tim Thomason likes this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't wait to see real-life cosplays of these characters and uniforms.

Very happy cat people are back in Trek.

Weirdly the art style doesn't look too dissimilar to the aborted Final Frontier animated series from the mid-2000's.

And I guess we're in for a decade of live-action recasting threads:lol:

BeatleJWOL, J47 and Jinn like this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

The animation looks like a cross between rick and morty and Bob's burgers.

18. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

Like I said, first impression of mine was generic, but it starts to grow on me.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I am not normally one to play the same-name-game, but are we thinking that Commander Ransom is maybe related to the dude who died in the Delta Quadrant?

Tim Thomason likes this.
  20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

that's my thought. 2380 is just 4 years after Rudolph Ransom died, so this guy could be either a son or a nephew if Rudy had any siblings.