Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 2x05 - "An Embarrassment of Dooplers"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Sep 8, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1 - An embarrassment indeed.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. No Grave Found

No Grave Found Admiral Admiral

Yes he was.

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  2. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's tons of character development in DS9. Almost every character winds up in a wildly different place at the end of the show than they were in the beginning.

Not every character has the same amount of growth/change and, in some cases, it may only relate to a relationship (O'Brien doesn't really change, but his relationship with Julian does a complete 180 from where it was in the early days, for example.)

But in almost every other Trek series so far, there's really no difference to Kirk in S1 vs. S3 or Picard in S2 or S7. (Picard's most significant character arc takes place literally in the last episode.)

DS9 remains a rarity among Trek series and is all the better for it.

3. No Grave Found

No Grave Found Admiral Admiral

No...Johnathan Archer was very changed after the events in ENT S2 - "Regeneration", and ENT S3 "Damage" in particular. They showed that change on screen in ENT S4 "Home".

Ghouleddie74 likes this.
  4. Ghouleddie74

Ghouleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Most Sincere Pumpkin Patch in the Galaxy
    One can say that not everything about Archer was better after 10 years in command of the NX-01 but he had definitely changed and become a lot less bigoted.

5. Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams Princess of the Dark Arts Premium Member

SO MUCH FUN! I laughed A LOT!

What they said. :biggrin: Plus, the chase scenes, the fabulous bar (I wonder how many places have a "Kirk drank here" sign? Is it like "Washington slept here"?), a starbase "mall" - with karts!, so many wonderful callouts everywhere I looked, Rutherford finally admitting he'd been doubting himself, and Mariner *finally* admitting how mad she was at Boimler and them making up. I thought the Doopler(s) were funny - but Richard Kind always makes me laugh. Just a joy from start to finish for me.

I see what you did there! :lol:

6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The duplicating dooplers reminded me of Mr. Meeseeks XD
    Being stranded on Rubicun III must be great (if you know the rules)
    The Cerritos model saucer is misaligned at a funny angle in 2 scenes ;)
    Funny that DJ Okona still carries his guidance module around! XD

7. Paul755

Paul755 Captain Captain

Its not just Archer, all three of Archer, Trip and T’Pol are very different people in the finale than they are in the first season…and for Trip I don’t just mean him dying.

Ghouleddie74 likes this.
  8. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except not funny.

9. ToyBoxComix

ToyBoxComix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The jokes and stories are great, but I really enjoy all the character work that they're doing this season.

10. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Commodore Commodore

Imagine if the Borg assimilate the Dooplers and figure out how to genetically engineer / control the duplicating bio mechanism.

They would be friggin near unstoppable.

11. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commander Red Shirt

Best one this season for me. First 10.

Also, that's Quark mentioned three episodes in a row now and a Deep Space Nine model. I recall someone elsewhere wondering why DS9 wasn't getting any Easter Eggs... there you are chum! Maybe an Armin Shimmerman cameo on the way?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You really don’t need the spoiler tags. Its already marked as a spoiler thread.

13. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commander Red Shirt

Excised!

14. Andyliini

Andyliini Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Someone else might have pointed this one out as well but... Was that supposed to be Alex Kurtzman in the wheelchair? It really did look like him.

jackoverfull and Andru like this.
  15. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

The important question, of course, is which Federation official decided to have the trade negotiations take place on Starbase 25 as opposed to, say, Veridian III. Also, the Dooplers should have warp capability, so why not travel to a planet like that in a tried and true environment?

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

I'd give it a 9 for the Boimler/Mariner story, but the Doop story seriously underwhelmed me and dropped it 2 points. It was great hearing Richard Kind in Star Trek, but even for a comedic cartoon in a very not hard sci-fi franchise, that was a lot. How did he replicate with clothes?

Maybe they're relatively new to warp, and have only achieved warp 2 or 3, and didn't want to go into suspended animation and leave years before every one else?

17. Ghouleddie74

Ghouleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Most Sincere Pumpkin Patch in the Galaxy
    Remember that the Evora had just achieved warp drive and become a Federation protectorate just prior to INS and the Evora delegation were traveling aboard the Enterprise-E, so I could see the Dooplers being a recent warp species and accepting an offer to travel aboard a Federation vessel rather than one of their own native warp-capable ships.

18. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t think Starfleet knows how a +1 works. What if someone wanted to bring a loved one who wasn’t in Starfleet?
    It was a very strange party

19. Michael

Michael [ˈmɪçaːʔeːl] Moderator

^ And I don‘t know if you know how a bouncer at a club works. They don‘t like your look or your face (or the class of starship you serve on) and they won‘t let you in. It‘s certainly a particular stereotype of bouncer, at the very least.

20. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

Why would Starfleet need a bouncer?