Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 2x04 - "Mugato, Gumato"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Sep 1, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1 - Let's TOS this one.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Licenced to Post Premium Member

[​IMG]

"The USS Cerritos is dispatched to a planet to investigate an unexplained sighting of a dangerous Mugato.

The title is a reference to the confused naming of the Mugato in TOS: "A Private Little War". The creature was named a "Gumato" in the script, but DeForest Kelley could not pronounce the word "Gumato", so it was changed to "Mugato" (which Kelley and William Shatner proceeded to pronounce "Mugatu"). However, Janos Prohaska was credited in the episode as "Gumato". - Memory Alpha

2. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

They really should have expanded the title to "I say Mugato, you say Gumato..."

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's call the whole thing off.

Redfern likes this.
  4. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

BOFF or DOFF as a shout-out to Star Trek Online (Bridge Officer or Duty Officer, respectively)

Captain Fine likes this.
  5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commodore Commodore

Beeee! It's Lower Decks day.

Excited. :D

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wasn’t really a fan of how this episode started (my father was with me and watching his first episode) but as it went i started to really like it. I loved Rutherford and Boimler bringing the negotiation to what the Farengi do best (one of my favorite scenes in DS9 was Quark and Sekonna discussion the marquis situation). However the whole conspiracy theory things didn’t work for me mainly because it felt like a retread to what we already know, which is Mariner isn’t interested in being noticed.

Were the two characters who first saw the Mugato Denobulans? The puffy cheeks gave me that clue and I would love to see what the Denobulans are up to in the 24th century. Heck, this series can also do a Xindi story.

I give this one a 7.

jackoverfull likes this.
  7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Why are they wearing bandages at the beginning? Those injuries would have been healed with a dermal regenerator.
    This episode felt very Futurama. Swap the characters and you’re there

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

"No, I...I think he likes to watch" is the hardest I've laughed at any joke in any episode of the show so far. Everything from the setup to Boimler's delivery felt very Rick and Morty, and it was so surprising it took me completely off guard.

9. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First episode this season I’ve loved. Pretty much all landed for me, especially the Mugato mating scene.

The kind of deep cut references like Mariner calling them “Last Outpost Ferengi” or whatever still grates on me a little, but otherwise, this was a real great episode.

Mathieu, jackoverfull, Hawku and 2 others like this.
  10. Sarcastic Vulcan Salute

Sarcastic Vulcan Salute Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This episode was saved -- as many are -- by the antics of Dr. T'ana. Other than that, and that it was a rare episode that gave Boimler a win and Mariner a loss, it was unremarkable.

jackoverfull and Charles Phipps like this.
  11. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me, starting up the episode: "Whoa, this has 'sexual content' in it?! Cooool!"

Later: "Oh, it's mugatos fucking.....sigh."

12. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty mediocre all around. Fitfully enjoyable here and there, but felt like a whiff. Lamest, most disposable B-story in quite a while.

The rumor-mongering bartender was fun, though, and I'd like to see that character return.

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I liked it more than previous weeks and the Doctor is now my favorite character after the box gag and this week.........

14. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really liked this one..! Great intertwining of A B and C plots..! Didn’t really like the ‘Last Outpost’ joke, ‘cause it didn’t work for me as an ‘in-universe’ joke, but asides: brilliant stuff, and Rutherford is just so likable and funny..! Great episode!

Captain Fine and KennyB like this.
  15. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Yes I feel like they got back to the level they were at ending season 1......Happy to see the Denobulans......I was debating if they were Denobulans or Cardassians......hard to tell in animation.....then PUFF!

SolarisOne, jackoverfull and Roald like this.
  16. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This episode fails for me because we know Mariner DID do undercover black ops.

TENDI has done undercover black ops.

Its not a big deal.

17. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering why that strange looking Mugato Animal guide had a Australian accent, yet looked like a Tellerite.

Charles Phipps likes this.
  18. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The captain's log intro, the briefing, the A/B plot, the peaceful resolution, the con artist alien getting their comeuppance at the end, it all felt like a classic Star Trek episode to me which I really liked.

Markonian, dupersuper, Vger23 and 7 others like this.
  19. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being a rabid fan of M'Ress and Caitians in general, this observation makes me smile.

KimMH, Charles Phipps and KennyB like this.
  20. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Why did previous Tellarites have American accents?