Spoilers Star Trek: Lower Decks 1x07 - "Much Ado About Boimler"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Commander Richard, Sep 16, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. 9

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. 8

29 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. 7

11 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. 6

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  6. 5

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. 3

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. 2

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  10. 1 - Clearly the quality isn't all there.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

2. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want the dog to be a permanent cast member. Tendi's reaction to it is adorable.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They still do Cas9 gene editing, but on protein bonds (?)
    Hovering Jellico-type babysitters XD
    The new captain has Pike's hat and a MEGO Gorn figure? XD
    Ominous and odd NX-75300 Osler - is that a Starfleet ship?
    Saul Rubinek reference...?
    Pike's chair technology didn't move a bit further in >100 years XD
    The tentacle thing reminds me of vox sola

And next week: A T'Plana Hath type, a Ferengi shuttle, a Jem'Hadar fighter, a worker bee, and a K'Tinga!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    jackoverfull, Nx-007 and SolarisOne like this.
  4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, it was ok. I guess the season trailer was a little deceiving, because I thought I saw the Encounter at Farpoint Aliens but this was not it. It was just a singular alien with a lot more tentacles. I did love the story with Tendi and the Dog though, and we got some neat Trek references like Jellico, Saul Rubinuk, Pike's chair. I do have a hard time believing that Starfleet would just cast aside it's freaks and wouldn't cure them, but I think in this show I have to think of the Starfleet in the live action is different than the Starfleet here. I think it's because it's animated.

Right now I'm thinking about a 6, but if I wake up tomorrow it could be a 7.

5. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I assumed they were going to treat them, once the planet turned out to be real — Boimler just got better first.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. Ghel

Ghel Captain Captain

I would put it around a 7 as well. It had its amusing points but was one of the weakest thus far. I assumed that the plant was a place that would work on a cure for the officers as well as being a resort. The young/old man simply assumed that there wasn't going to be any help because of the length of the journey.
    There were quite a few fun references but my personal favorite was the creatures from Thresh.old

jackoverfull likes this.
  7. tomalak301

Thinking about it, it's not really casting them aside. It's probably a place they go for more experimental study. In a way, it is paradise.

8. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Close captioning has: "Saul Rubichik"

We see another California-class starship, the Rubidoux, and it's registry of NCC-12109 suggests the class may be older than previously thought. It is a command level ship, seeing how it has a red stripe. Rubidoux is a neighborhood in Jurapa Valley, a city in the Greater Los Angeles Area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubidoux,_California

The Oakland might be another California-class starship, as it is named after a major city in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The Osler was an interesting new design. It might be named after William Osler, a Canadian physician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Osler

The uniforms worn by the Cerritos senior crew were I think the same as the ones worn by Picard's team in Chain of Command.

9. tomalak301

They did say they were doing a major California theme with their ships this season.

10. NCC-73515

[​IMG]

The most unusual Starfleet ship ever?
    And what kind of tunnel does it fly through?

And next week: Some kind of ship museum or store?

[​IMG]

Markonian likes this.
  11. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The poll isn't working again.

Loved the Chain of Command references, with the top three officers inexplicably sent on a "covert mission" of planting seeds. Looks like foreshadowing for next week's real covert mission featuring Ninja Tendi.

Anthony the Hyper-Evolved Human was great. Threshold reference for the win.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nolan North was one of the voices in this episode. Was he Young/Old Man?

13. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mariner betraying her friend like that was terrible. At least be competent for the mission.

Trekker4747 likes this.
  14. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That seems to be a low level gene editing tech, something a ensign would mess with on her off time.
    I bet you it's part of "My First Gene Editing" kit =D.
    Gotta learn the basics before you learn the newer stuff.

Also, our first TriPaB (Tri-(Pedal & Brachial)-oid) StarFleet Officer.

Definitely very different from most of us BiPaB's

It's almost like they designed it to be a evil villains ship, but with a few StarFleet Aesthetics.

Talk about misleading as all getup.

And what's with the extra Red Stripes on the main hull?

And the evil laugh that the TriPaB had was his "Normal Laugh".

And Substitute "Captain's" or other important positions seems to be a thing.

15. NCC-73515

Arex was the first one we saw

jackoverfull and KennyB like this.
  16. Lakenheath 72

Along with the ship museum, the shuttle approaching the Spacedock has a new registry, plus possibly a name. We also get a new ship model next week.

17. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

18. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And seriously, forgetting your Tricorders?

Isn't that the one thing everybody is supposed to take on nearly every away mission?

19. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This was definitely my least favorite episode of the season. I'll rewatch it later, but some of the schticks are starting to get old. Mariner's endless "don't promote me!" self-sabotage with no (that I can see) hint behind the why is a bit tedious at this point, and its amusement value was limited to begin with.

The Boimler plot was ok until the end, when we got the most trite Gen-X type cynical crap from Boimler: damage me so I can go to a spa planet where two women, one of whom gave a vague indication that she found me attractive might... what? Fuck him? I can't stand 'do anything to get laid' type motivation and it's never funny. TV comedy did that so much in the 1990s and 2000s, and I am glad we've moved away from that crap. I know in this story it's harmless, but ugh, if I have to see someone betray a friendship for it...

Luckily, the references (except the Jellico one, which annoyed me for some reason) were fun. Tendi and Sam were wonderful as usual. I liked The Dog.

Going back to my own diversity schtick, the pattern of most named characters having Anglo-Saxon/European names is getting on my nerves. Also, with Shaxs's kissing T'Ana (admittedly she's a cat so it feels weird) last week all eight primary characters have been involved in some heterosexual attraction/pairing, with no hint of anything else. Bleh.

20. Lakenheath 72

Thinking back over what was said, it seems the writers are moving away from Mariner and Boimler being about the same age, for Ramsey described the amusing Academy story as taking place a long time ago.

It's still not quite clear why Beckett arrived at the decision to be a perpetual ensign. She excelled at the Academy with the potential to be a captain faster than anyone else in her class.

Has there been any character development so far for the main characters?

jackoverfull likes this.