News Star Trek IV Remastered Coming To Theaters Next Month

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by AutoAdmin, Jul 9, 2021.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

This year is the 35th anniversary of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home and to help celebrate it, Paramount and Fathom Events...

Continue reading...

2. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I've Fandangoed a ticket to one screening at least. Looks like at least two theaters in the area are putting it up on proper 2.35 screens. So if I could clear time for just one other screening that would be ideal.

Good to see my "other" favorite ST film finally getting the Fathom treatment. I'll never understand how this picture became so underrated.

3. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This film is underrated? Since when?

Qonundrum and Kor like this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ll take a pass on this one. TVH is ok, but nothing about it screams “must see” in the theater.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I'm curious about this remaster mentioned in the headline. TVH is not my favorite Trek outing, but I would like the chance to see Kirk and co. on the big screen. I kind of wish they had done an anniversary showing of TSFS.

Kor

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

If they’re doing this right, ‘remastered’ probably refers to the presumably superior digital master used in the September disc releases. (It’s worth repeating just in case that TOS Remastered is called that because it started with new, HD masters, regardless of what else they contain in terms of VFX or audio changes. It would be better to start calling it TOS-SE.)

7. Cancel Culture

Cancel Culture Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I too am wondering exactly what is remastered.

8. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

They made a new master, ergo it's remastered.

9. Cancel Culture

Cancel Culture Fleet Admiral Admiral

That wasn't really what I was asking, but thank you.

In asking "exactly what is remastered," I asking what sources were used, not what does remastering mean. I was more interested in knowing things like:

Is the point that this is a whole new transfer to digital, if so, what was the source, did they just go back to a printing negative for, say, the 70mm distribution, or did they actually go back and scan the master negatives, what's the digital resolution, did they strictly use the 70mm original release as the source, or was it actually the 35mm version, or is there a slightly different edit, and what about the VFX, were there any changes, etc.

Sorry, I don't work professionally in the business, so some of my questions may be off in terms of correct terminology.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Qonundrum likes this.
  10. Indysolo

Presumably they would not use any 70mm elements as that was a blow-up from 35mm. The press release only says, "original elements."

Cancel Culture likes this.
  11. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish BillJ Premium Member

I am going to skip this. I have a 65” 4K HDR set, I imagine the September 4K release will look pretty good on it.

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. Indysolo

Less chance of contracting COVID that way, too, which is why I'm skipping this.

13. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish BillJ Premium Member

I’m fully vaccinated, so I’m generally not too worried about COVID, but it wouldn’t be fun sitting in a theater for two hours with a mask on.

Indysolo likes this.
  14. Indysolo

I'm fully vaccinated, too, but the delta variant is alarming and LA's numbers are going up. I don't want to be any part of this.

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'm fully vaxxed, myself, but we'll see. I had fun seeing TMP in theaters.

Qonundrum and Lord Garth like this.
  16. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

Obviously that can't be true.

What's your game, sister?

:shifty:

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'd always wanted to see it on the big screen, so for me, it was fun. :)

1001001 and Indysolo like this.
  18. 1001001

1001001 Pull Up a Groove and Get Fabulous! Moderator

Definitely going to get tickets to see ST:IV

Now that should be proper fun.

;)

19. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any chance of Paramount adding back Shatner's narrated Captain's Log prologue that featured on the International Prints?

It was recap of Spock's death and events from TSFS, which used to be apart of every version I saw up until the first DVD release. Ever since the film just starts with the Challenger dedication, where it had been 4-5 minutes longer before.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    jaime likes this.
  20. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm double vaxxed but if I were to go to the cinema, I don't think I would have much difficulty wearing a mask throughout. I mean, some really go too far with that civil liberties, being gagged or suffocated thing. If I'm in an enclosed space for a couple of hours, I can manage it to protect them from me.... with the obvious exceptions of lowering it for eating and drinking. While I might not get seriously ill now, I don't like the idea of passing it on to somebody who could.

I've seen cosplayers in full gear and helmet on the whole time on occasion, and they must've been boiling. At the same, fascinated about seeing a Star Wars picture from an Imperial Stormtroopers' point of view I guess... A bit of cloth over my nose and mouth? No sweat.

Bad Robot likes this.