Star Trek Games

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Smitty, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love computer games and pretty much am a Steam junkie. One thing seriously missing of course is Star Trek. I have not played one since "TNG A Final Unity" and the Starfleet Command games.

What other Star Trek games are there that you can still buy and run with latest Windows etc? Is Star Trek Online any good?

2. Count

Count Commander Red Shirt

Basically any Activision Trek game will run on Windows 7 or 8. So Armada 1 & 2, Elite force 1 & 2, Bridge Commander, Away team. Interplay's Starfleet Academy does too, but it's sequel Klingon Academy doesn't wtihout fixes.

So for my recommendations, Bridge cmmander will most likely be like Starfleet Command for you. If you're into adventure probably the Elite force series (but they're FPS). Armada 1 and 2 are raw command & conquer style strategy games.

3. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

STO's okay in small doses. It's free to play, so no harm in giving it a try.

4. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Will they? I can't get Armada 1 to run - just get the splash screen then nothing. Any suggestions? (Windows 8.)

I was getting a memory error too until I tried running it in compatibility mode (XP SP3).

5. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Grab the unofficial (but still good nonetheless) 1.3 patch if you haven't done so already. Should fix a lot of issues.

6. Dobian

Dobian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't play all the Star Trek games, just he ones that appeal to me as the kind of games I like to play. So the ones I have played and really enjoyed are the tactical simulations Starfleet Command and Klingon Academy. I have all the Starfleet Command games - SFC I, Empires at War, Orion Pirates, and SFC 3. I finished SFC 3 several months ago. It was the only one not in my library and I found a boxed copy on ebay for I think $42, which was a steal considering I've seen it listed for twice that. Klingon Academy is one of my favorite space combat simulations ever. It's cool to be able to warp around solar systems and orbit actual 3D planets. Great campaign story too.