Star Trek: Excalibur begins production on 1st webisode

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain_Nelson, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Captain_Nelson

Captain_Nelson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This past weekend (June 8th-10th) Star Trek Excalibur began shooting its series opening webisode.
    All the shots planned for this first weekend were completed on June 9th, one day early.
    Congratulations to the Cast & Crew!
    One more day of filming is scheduled for early July to complete this webisode short
    (If any one plans to be in the Las Vegas area and would like to be an extra 12-18 extras are needed for that last day)
    Behind the scenes pictures are being posted on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Trek-Excalibur

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

3. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I am looking forward to seeing them upon completion.

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Facebook link doesn't seem to work.

5. Barbreader

6. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. Captain_Nelson

Captain_Nelson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The first film shoot went well, we finished everything scheduled for two days in just one, second (and final) day of shooting is tentatively scheduled for July first (we are in need of about a 12-14 extras)
    Posted a Picture from the shoot in another thread a short time ago.

8. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their Kickstarter attempt to raise funds seems to have been unsuccesful, but their website announces their first episode will be broadcast on September 8th of this year. Does anyone know any more details?

9. Barbreader

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Their Facebook page no longer exists. At least not from the link they provide in the original post of this thread.

11. Bixby

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Maybe they just need a good spelling grammar editor for that banner and haven't been able to find one?

13. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

14. Barbreader

15. Bixby

Hey, this came out of nowhere, but after a few months with no other new ST fan prods, it made back-from-vacation doldrums go away...

So a few comments:
    1) ''directed by Samuel T. Cogley'' ? :wtf: what, was Alan Smithee too busy?

2)This vignette might have been a great opportunity to showcase the new captain and show the kind of leading man he's going to be. Apart from borrowing a bit from Wrath of Khan (Kirk's old-time glasses, Nelson's old-fashioned book), the film doesn't give us much information apart from liking old novels and nursery rhimes, and being a soft-spoken sort.

That could be ok, but not exactly what screams ''leader''. A little more thought on what will make Nelson a captivating character in future installments seems a priority.

I look at James Sikking as Captain Styles from Star Trek 3. He had perhaps less than 3 minutes of screentime and gave us a memorable super dick...

3) Not a fan of the synthesized main theme... the music during the short was a lot better, though...

4) I like the FX, it's obvious you're going for the same feel as Space: Above and Beyond and Battlestar Galactica.

Looking forward to more...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I had a chance to watch the webisode today. It is off to a decent start. It is giving hints as to what one hopes is an excellent series. I found the quirks in the captain interesting and it will be fun to see where this goes.

I am looking forward to the full first episode and introduction of the crew.

17. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

Not bad- but the first exchange with his ship seems odd to me that his own crew does not get him enough to humor his nursery rhyme fetish the same for the yeoman at the desk – unless she was not human how could she not of heard the early bird gets the worm (I would give this a grain of salt in the 60’s TV show but the woman Commodore shows the modern mentality)

It felt forced to have this jolly sage as a captain- who is clearly not connecting with the yeomen trying to illuminate, but that is just pacing

Nitpicking – buy some wigs for your extras or swap out the uniforms if I saw Ensign Carter walk by in the back ground one more time I was going to scream. I would expect more ship traffic around Earth and for the file footage I would of like to see the action from a flight recorder. Kill the BSG drum beats or soften them up., I realize Gabe worked on BSG, so this might be his style, but I would tone it down, also But nitpicking aside very good

18. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Definitely off to a good start. The only thing I didn't really like was the theme music. It sounded like it was from a video game. Other things that kind of stuck out in the film was that a few shots needed to be color corrected, and the editing could have been a bit faster in a few spots. The acting was good, and the ships were top-notch!

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just checked out the You Tube episode. I thought it was well done. Curious to see where the story goes next.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Congratulations on your first episode. I'm glad you finally got it made, and I look forward to more.