Star Trek: Enterprise

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by David Brennon, Oct 21, 2011.

1. David Brennon

David Brennon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is a very brief thought: While in the review thread for the new Romulan War book, I remembered that we've recently passed the 10 year anniversary mark for Enterprise without an anthology of short stories. Am I the only one who finds this upsetting? I know the novels haven't had the same excited fan base that say DS9-R has had in the past, but I for one would be happy to see a collection of Enterprise short stories.

2. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 10th anniversary of the Voyager finale passed not too long ago with no fanfare either. I would love more ENT material but the fans and readers just aren't there. I don't think CBS or pocket see any profit in ENT or VOY.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We did get a Voyager anniversary anthology several years back in Distant Shores; it was for the 10th anniversary of the show's premiere. And of course Kirsten Beyer's VGR novels are still coming out to considerable acclaim. So it doesn't make sense to conclude that nobody sees profit potential in VGR.

The lack of an ENT anniversary anthology was probably due more to the editorial changes in recent years. The four anniversary anthologies we got were Marco Palmieri's projects, as were quite a few of Pocket's other Trek anthologies.

Also, it seems that in general we aren't getting as many trade paperbacks per year as we used to.

4. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Actually Janeway didn't die. She went back to the Delta quadrant to be with her Kazon lover and Archer has to go get her. Porthos will of course save the day when he talks the Ruffians out of destroying the Enterprise.

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh. OK...

6. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Granted, Beyer's novels are doing well as they should. But VOY is the only series that Art Asylum/DST never made figures of. Plus the VOY fan base is heavily divided over Janeway's death.

But then, ENT never got a Companion reference, which would have been nice. I haven't seen any complaints over the direction of the ENT relaunch. Everyone seems to like how TATV was corrected/compensated for and Trip being alive.

Of course, Christopher has the best knowledge about what's going on in the publishing world.

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the enterprise relaunch very enjoyable looking forward to the new book.
    I am still confused as to why they had to kill off janeway like they did.
    as for the voyager relaunch I have yet to get to them. though I do have them all on my nook.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, alot of people have been disappointed by the first Romulan War book. That's the main reason I haven't bothered to read it yet. I do plan on reading eventually since I own it, though.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed it. Can't please all of the people all of the time...

10. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

I liked it...i hated the anti-bush overtures in it...

I read a time to kill/heal - thought it was clever how David Mack translated the ongoing Iraq war into something in the Trek universe without making it obvious...

The whole thing about the Praetor and the Praetor's father and whatever else? Oh for fucks sake...we get it you like Obama and you don't like Bush, but jesus christ...

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No you're not the only one who wanted to see an Enterprise 10th anniversary story anthology I was really disappointed all of the other series got some kind of story anthology I want to see more Enterprise novels in the future there's been enough TNG era books the last few years give other series like Enterprise a chance to have more books come out .It's long overdue we got other Enterprise era books.I liked the last Romulan war novel alot more than those boring Typhon pact books I recently finished reading.

12. JB2005

I too would have liked to see an Ent anthology...with a dozen or so writers penning short stories it may have energised them to submit full-length novels...*sigh*

Bring back Marco *raises banner*

13. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was surprised we didn't get one this year. *sigh*

14. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love anthologies. we so need a enterprise anthology big time.

15. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

As he posted in another thread, it had nothing to do with the Iraq war. There was no allegory intended, it was just supposed to be a good story. (Granted, there's always "death of the author", but it wasn't intentional either way.)

16. JB2005

^ I should clarify: my personal take on it was that it seemed at least partly inspired by events of the Iraq/Afghanistan wars...not an allegory as such, more like real life inspiring art...

17. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, no. What David Mack said was that Nerys Ghemor had no business trying to pretend that he/she knew from reading one of Mack's novels that Mack intended

for the assassination of Federation President Min Zife in his book to be a way of fulfilling a George W. Bush assassination fantasy

However, Mack has given other interviews wherein he has indicated that the events of A Time to Kill and A Time to Heal were indeed inspired by the United States's invasion and occupation of the Republic of Iraq in 2003, and that Federation President Min Zife was based in part upon former United States President George W. Bush and Chief of Staff Koll Azernal was based in part upon former United States Vice President Dick Cheney and former United States Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

If I'm understanding Mack correctly, then, his point was not to claim that the events and characters of his books weren't inspired by real life, but that being inspired by real life does not mean that he is advocating for everything that happens in those books. That he can, in other words,

depict a character based upon Bush as being in the wrong without that meaning that he's intending to depict another character as being in the right by assassinating him. He can have villainous characters who victimize other villainous characters without meaning to say that that's a good or just thing.

18. JB2005

As opposed to BTRW where the characterisation isn't even subtle...

19. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know there is a thread about the new Ent novel, but since this thread is titled Star Trek: Enterprise I'll pose this question: does this new one signal the end of Star Trek : Enerprise? I hope not but I could see that happen.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of the people in the other thread seem to be treating it as the last, but I don't remember ever actually reading any where that it was.