News Star Trek: Discovery Magnetic Badges

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Aug 17, 2017.

1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

QMX is offering new magnetic badges based on those to be worn in Star Trek: Discovery. There are four different styles of...

Continue reading...

Long Syntax likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I really like the look of these. And the price seems reasonable, too. I wonder how they look in person. And I'm curious why they didn't include the rank pips on them.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have their TNG badge and badge from the Abrams film. Both are really nice. I am glad they left the rank pips off of them.

My daughter asked what I wanted for my birthday. I sent her a link to the QMX website!

Michael likes this.
  4. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Because the number of combinations would be tough to justify for production.

5. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Too bad. I'd have bought one had it had the pips.

6. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Maybe they could offer separate magnetic rank pips that you can attach to the badge?

7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hm, that they bothered to even make the obscure medical insignia lets me think the number of variations wasn't really an issue. But sure, they would have to produce them in smaller quantities which would drive the price up a bit. But still, it's a shame, because otherwise they would almost look screen-accurate.

Yeah, that's sounds like a good idea. :techman:

8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Or at the very least just assign a rank to each badge type, like Captain on the command insignia, lt com on the sciences, etc. Seems silly to ignore the integration of rank entirely when making the replicas.

Michael likes this.
  9. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Although I'm not a fan of the pips being on the badge in the first place, this is a good idea!

Do the cadet badges have pips on them? I would assume not. But also, would cadet badges have a department insignia on them? I would also assume not. If so, these badges are all wrong for several reasons.

But damn, they look good!

10. cultcross

The cadet badge looks like it has bars behind a la Future Imperfect

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One can always get out a drill and carefully put the actual holes into the insignia. Not the easiest thing to drill multiple holes in a straight line the same depth, but not impossible.

This remains one of the few things I don't like about these new uniforms - you shouldn't have to lean in THAT close to someone's chest to figure out what rank they have. Really, only the Captains are easily distinguishable and the Cadets after that. Perhaps they're meaning to make a statement that rank matters less in Starfleet (Gene Roddenberry has been on that track before, stating EVERYONE'S an officer, etc.) but really, on a ship of hundreds, if you don't know everyone by name, you'll at least want to identify everyone easily enough by rank.

Mark

12. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

Do the bars signify what year they are?

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The TNG cadet uniforms had (vertical) bars instead of pips as well.

[​IMG]

14. cultcross

No idea, but it's a fair bet. We've only seen the one badge so it's hard to extrapolate a system.

15. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

From what we've always seen, though, that does seem to be the expectation in StarFleet (think of Worf apologising for not knowing Gilbert and Sullivan).

This isn't necessarily an expectation that would be carried over to other vessels etc. though.

dJE

16. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

got mine yesterday, the size means they're sort of hollow on the back, but QMX always does good work
    [​IMG]