Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Day of Honor: Armageddon Sky by L.A. Graf

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Damian, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the Day of Honor Omnibus and am currently reading through it and just finished up "Armageddon Sky". The novel takes place in 2372, during the Federation-Klingon Empire cold war (one of the only novels to take place during that period if I recall) and a Federation transport goes missing. The Defiant goes to investigate and discovers a planet inhabited by exiled Klingons who were sent there to die. The planet is under continuous bombardment by comets and the people on the transport are being held prisoner by one of the factions. It turns out one of the factions was supplying a drug to the Cardassians, one they were misled to believe was to help cure an illness among the Cardassians (but the 'illness' was simply a ruse). The Cardassians actually want to create a biological weapon to use against the Klingons.

The Defiant encounters a Klingon vessel guarding the area commanded by our old friend Kor. Obviously their is tension between Kor and the Defiant, but there is also tension with the Cardassian vessel sent to make its pick-up, who accuses Sisko of being in cahoots with the Klingons. Eventually you end up with a temporary alliance between Sisko and Kor as it relates to the planet.

Meanwhile an away team is sent to the planet and Dr Bashir is kidnapped. There is also an indigenous species involved with the story. Where does the Day of Honor come in this time? In 3 ways, one is at the beginning of the book in a holosuite, but more significantly are 2 later events, a fight between Sisko, Odo and Worf vs. Kor and two of his crew. The other is on the planet when Kira challenges a Klingon to battle on the planet.

I enjoyed the book. It was nice to read a story during the Klingon-Federation cold war. There was a period about 1/3 of the way in when maybe the story slowed down a bit, but it picked up nicely in the 2nd half. While you had basically 2 stories running parallel they were interrelated and I didn't get the sense one story overwhelmed the other. The ship and away team were balanced pretty well here. Overall I'd rate the story above average.

DS9forever likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Easily my favorite of the Day of Honor books.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of the day of honor the ds9 novel is my favorite book of this miniseries.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the one I remember the least about. Like, nothing in your synopsis sparked a memory in me at all.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Like Steve, I don't remember a thing about this one. Except, isn't this the one that Sulu makes an uncredited cameo in?

6. Damian

Nope, sorry, no cameo in this one.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not explicitly, but there is a retired Starfleet officer traveling incognito under the alias "George" and very strongly hinted to be Sulu.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  8. Damian

Ah, ok. I actually didn't pick up on that. I remember the character but sort of forgot about him during the meat of the story until the end when he was mentioned again. I thought it was a bit odd they indicated he was some important character but Graf didn't elaborate any further (I thought maybe it would be a character that would pop up in a later Day of Honor story, something that has been known to happen in these series books--now I know ;) ).

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Cometary deluge is a cool sounding term.