STAR TREK CREW

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by STEPhon IT, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's my understanding there was a comic series about Number One, from THE CAGE and her career, as a starfleet officer. Does anyone have this series on file and would be kind enough to share it or post it here--if it's acceptable? I can't find the series anywhere and I would love to read this series. Can anyone help?

2. Bibliomike

Bibliomike Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Jinn and BillJ like this.
  3. STEPhon IT

Sigh. I know it's on amazon, and that's not what I asked.

4. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dude...... It's not for free in the real world. Basicly, you're asking for an illegal download. You then asked if it's acceptable. Someone very kindly let's you know it's not, and then lets you know of a way to still be able to read it....

and you reply with a "sigh"?? Bad form sir, bad form!!

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would think you should be smart enough to know that it isn't kosher to ask about stealing people's work.

JonnyQuest037, Paris and Mage like this.
  6. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Even setting aside the moral and ethical issues for a moment, why would you go somewhere where Trek authors and editors post and have posted for years and ask for a download of a Trek publication? That's like talking to a friend about shoplifting in front of the store manager.

TheAlmanac, Kilana2, Paris and 2 others like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want a digital version, for some reason there isn't one. I've been wanting to read it, but since I only do digital comics I haven't been able to. It's starting to look like the only way I'm going to get to read it is to break my rule and get the Trade Paperback.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Definitely worth it. :techman:

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually did check out a new comic shop that opened in my home town a couple weeks ago, but I forgot about Crew until just now. I'm hoping to get back there because I also forgot to look for Futurama comics, which are also not available digitally, so I'll try to remember to look for Crew too.

10. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

So, you asked someone about how you could do something illegal?

11. STEPhon IT

Uh, no. Not if they own it. WTH???

12. STEPhon IT

Thank you for answering the question. I'm not interested in owning but interested in reading it, if someone owned a digital copy and would share it. I didn't think it was illegal for someone to share unless I attempted to sell it. Which I doubt anyone would want to. But if there isn't a digital copy. No harm.

13. STEPhon IT

Maybe it's uncommon for this forum to have women on it. Probably better to address me to my forum name than assuming I'm a guy... which I'm not. And blindly assuming I know the rules about a person owning material and what he/she can do with it, Mage.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Buying a reading copy of something doesn't mean you now have the right to distribute it on-line to all and sundry, let alone post the complete text on the internet. That's piracy.

15. STEPhon IT

And that's all some had to say, then 1 calling me a guy, and then others go all Def con 5 on me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

A suggestion: why not see if your local library system has a copy of the graphic novel? That's how people traditionally read books if they don't want to pay for them--and authors don't mind because we like library sales.

17. STEPhon IT

COOOL. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.:):vulcan::)

18. STEPhon IT

Well, if you saw it that way? Just shows me how blind you are.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I call everyone dude, including a lot of my female friends. I don't do genderbias. As for copyright rule.... Everyone knows it's illegal to download stuff like movies and such. Even books, only if they are free to begin with. And you knew this one wasn't.
    Lastly... My biggest issue.... when someone KINDLY told you it's not legally possible, you posted with a *sigh* and a semi-snarky reply. Please don't try and be the offended one here.

Now, your high horse is parked in the back if you're looking for it.

20. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a fundamental difference between borrowing a physical copy of a book, and borrowing a digital copy, in that the former involves physically moving a physical object that can only be in one place at any given time, while the latter does not.

Which is to say that digital lending libraries of in-copyright material are the one situation in which I support DRM.

Now can we all just drop the hostility, and agree that the OP should have given this a bit more thought, and that some people address everybody as "Dude," regardless of gender, social standing, or anything else?

I've had a somewhat similar situation myself, some years ago, when I was on an Apple board, looking for software to pull in video from non-copy-protected DVDs, one of which was with the blessing of the copyright owner (my best friend), and the other of which I WAS the copyright owner. Because I'd left out those critical details, all of the responses assumed I was looking for software to defeat copy protection (and I actually downloaded one application that could do just that, but couldn't do what I needed it to do!), and the thread was locked, and the responses suppressed, by Apple, under that same assumption; when I started a new thread, I was very explicit about not only the nature of the DVDs, and about what I was NOT looking for, but also about the fact that I'd report any improper referrals myself.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.