Star Trek: Cayuga - 19 - 'Warriors'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by admiralelm11, Apr 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek: Cayuga
    19 - ‘Warriors’
    By Jack Elmlinger

(Special Notes from the Author): (1) - Ensign Sayvok is imitating Andy Kaufman by reading The Great Gatsby -- All of it. (2) - The Kzinti were first created by Larry Niven as part of his Known Space series. (3) I would like to offer a special commendation to David Metlesits (thefirstfleet). He uses the Kzinti in his Polarisverse series.

“‘Tom,’ I inquired,’ what did you say to Wilson that afternoon?’ He stared at him without a word and I knew I had guessed right about those missing hours. I started to turn away but he took a step after me and grabbed my arm.’”

Sayvok stood up on a stool illuminated by a single light. He had been like that for hours, calmly reading from a hardcover book.

“What’s he reading?,” Alice Polcheny asked as she sat down next to a small cluster of officers. The performance had been scheduled for the last night that the two crew would share time together for a while. The Cayuga’s Mess Hall was crowded with personnel from both ships.

Kyla Briannon smiled at her while Commander Survek, the Juneau’s First Officer merely nodded before he returned his attention to Sayvok.

Entranced by the Vulcan’s performance, Leonard Huang didn’t greet her but he did proffer her an answer. “I have no idea,” he said, marveling at the engineer. “He’s incredible. Like no other Vulcan that I’ve ever met.”

“Most of the people around here don’t go for performance art,” she agreed with him, peering at Survek in the hope that he could offer them some insight.

“‘I couldn’t forgive him or love him,’” Sayvok continued with his recitation,”’ but I saw that what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confusing. There were careless people Tom and Daisy -- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together and let other people clean up the mess they had made…

“‘I shook hands with him; it seemed silly not to, for I felt suddenly as though I were talking to a child. Then he went into the jewelry store to buy a pearl necklace -- or perhaps only a pair of cuff buttons -- rid of my provincial squeamishness forever’.”

“I met him on Earth,” Huang told Polcheny, his eyes still focused on the stage,” at the Tokyo R&D facility. A local university was holding an evening of poetry readings and I went for the novelty of a Vulcan reading Japanese haikus.” He bit his lip and breathed,” Damn.”

“Captain’s Log, stardate 56826.5;

While Councilor Bokam stays aboard the Juneau to continue their dialogue with the Tholian delegation, the Cayuga is proceeding on course towards a planet in the Gianwu system. Spotted by a Cardassian survey vessel, fifteen years ago, it is home to a pre-warp civilization. I hope that we’ll be able to flesh out the Cardassians’ sparse cultural report.

“In shipboard matters, the time for crew evaluations has come upon us again. At this time, last year, I was on my way back from Intooine and Commander zh’Tali handled the evaluations on her own. Being less determined than she was, I’ve enlisted Commander Riker’s and Doctor Moru’s aid. One thing that concerns me about Aimee's promotion. The most cursory review of her file shows that she had earned a promotion to Lieutenant Commander, even considering her brief stint away from the ship. I’m… hesitant to bring up the idea myself since I fear that it smacks of favoritism…

“Bridge to Captain Pozach.”

Pasko’s voice jolted her away from her thoughts. She closed the log and straightened up in her Ready Room chair. “Yes, Lieutenant?”

“We’re approaching Gianwu now but our sensors are showing another ship already in orbit.”

The doors at the rear of the Bridge opened to admit Pozach and she took over the center seat from Riker. “Magnify,” she ordered and as Gianwu II expanded to fill up the main viewscreen, a brown fleck grew to become a ship. It was a bolted together collection of basic components: engines, a Bridge compartment, cargo bays, and very obvious weapons turrets.

“The ship is warp-capable,” Riker reported from the Ops position. “Their weapons consist of chemical missiles and plasma blasters. I’m searching our database for it but it definitely isn’t used by any Federation or Cardassian world.” His panel chimed in with new information and he looked up with surprise. “It’s a Kzinti assault ship.”

Pasko glanced over at him. “That hunk of junk?”

“Mister Riker, hail them.”

Riker shook his head. “There’s no response, Captain. Though they have begun de-orbiting.”

“Keep hailing them. Maybe they don’t realize that there’s a young race down there.”

Pasko kept the Cayuga directly above the descending Kzinti ship for nearly ten minutes before the viewscreen revealed a massive feline face.

“What?!,” the Kzinti demanded with his slitted golden eyes showing malevolence.

Pozach smiled charmingly at him and leaned forward in her chair. “I’m Captain Jea -- “

“Your device profanes the Hero’s Tongue, ape!,” the felinoid spat back at her. “Speak quickly, lest your offence compound itself.”

Pozach frowned back at him. “There’s a civilization down on the planet below us. They haven’t advanced very far enough technologically and as such, they are protected under the Prime Directive. I am respectfully asking you what your business is on Gianwu II.”

The Kzinti let out a stuttering hiss that almost sounded like an amused chuckle. “The hairless ape dares to give me orders?! Your Prime Directive means nothing to me, Human. I am Lrrt-Captain, Warrior of the Karrak House of the Kzinti Patriarchy. I have been charged with harnessing the resources of this world and bringing its people to heed.” He leered at the Captain from the viewscreen. “Interfere, Human. I wish to taste your flesh.”

“That ship is eighty or ninety years behind us, technologically,” Aimee said, referring to the schematic displayed on the Situation Room’s monitor screen. “Those plasma blasters are powerful but in a stand-up fight, we’ll have no problem putting the Kzinti down.”

Pozach accepted the information with a nod. “Be it as it may, I’m not David Metlesits. I’d like to avoid combat if possible.”

“Naturally,” Pasko added dryly.

“Captain,” Commander Riker said,” I’ve studied both the Starfleet and Cardassian files on them. The Kzinti were predators who were well-known before they were sentient. They think as well as we do but not like we do. Based on the mission logs of the USS Polaris during the 23rd century, there can be no peaceful accord with them because the Kzinti don’t believe in them.”

“There has to be some way that we can convince them to leave on their own,” Moru insisted.

Riker threw up his hands. “If we don’t challenge them or challenge them and lose, we’ll be seen as prey and get attacked. If we challenge them and win, we’ll be seen as a threat and attacked.” He shrugged his shoulders with a sigh. “They’re like Klingons. The Kzinti fight. It’s what they do.”

“I’d like to think that we’re better than that,” the Captain said with a smile. “Here’s the plan. Once the Kzinti disembark from their ship, Maguire will sneak aboard and sabotage it.”

The Chief Engineer smirked at this plan. “Remember what the Cardassian black marketeers hit us with? I’ve been waiting to screw someone else with the thing.”

“After that, we’ll tow them well out of the Gianwu system with our tractor beam.”

“What will keep them from coming back once they repair their ship?,” Ntannu asked.

“They won’t,” came an answer from Riker, a glimmer of amused respect coming across his face,” because once we insult these Kzinti by making them fail, they’ll come after us before finishing their assignment. They have to. It’s their only honorable recourse.”

“I think we can suffer some harassment for the sake of the people down on Gianwu II.” Pozach glanced over at Commander Riker. “I’ve read the same reports on the Kzinti too,” she told him. “I want you to assemble a cultural survey team and proceed as we previously planned. There’s no reason for the Kzinti to keep us away from our mission.”

The away team materialized inside of a dark alley. A quick tricorder sweep proved that they hadn’t been seen before Riker led them out onto the main street.

“It’s been so long since I’ve done one of these missions,” Crewman Taylor said, scanning the street excitedly. It was formed with broad stones and filled with many Gianwuans going about their daily lives. “Four years of working triage has almost made me forget why we’re supposed to be out here.”

“It’s fascinating,” Riker agreed with him. Irritated, he scratched at the feathery prosthetic attached to his cheeks and jaw “I can’t believe that we’re supposed to hear through these things. Let’s get this mission over with. Taylor and Collier, get your biological information. Hobbes, grab some scans of their technology while I mingle.” The away team dispersed to carry out their task while he muttered,” I don’t want to spend any more time on this dirtball planet than I have to.”

As a cultural anthropologist, it was his job to observe the Gianwuans’ society which was in one word, boring. Half a dozen lordlings ruled over the impoverished citizenry in comfort, much like Earth had been during the Dark Ages. The males worked to gather money and resources while the females raised the children, performing domestic chores. The women weren’t even remotely attractive and that fact irritated him more than anything.

A hushed silence fell over the street. Riker took a step closer to Collier who was already looking. At her sudden gasp, he caught sight of them. Five Kzinti stood at the end of the street. They were snarling quietly and surveying the Gianwuans. Slowly, they began to encircle the crowd that had formed to gawk at them and gossip.

“They don’t have any weapons,” Collier said, hypnotized by the grace of the Kzinti. They reminded her of Captain M’Roaki of the Juneau and her species, the Caitians.

“They don’t need them,” the commander said, slapping his chest to strike at his hidden combadge. “Riker to Cayuga. Why the hell weren’t we told that there were Kzinti in the area?”

There was a pause and then Ensign Novack reported,” Scanners aren’t picking up any Kzinti lifesigns within twenty kilometers of your position, Commander.”

The lead Kzinti stepped forward, sniffing at a Gianwuan man who stood entranced by him. The felinoid bellowed at him, dispatching the Gianwuan with a swipe of his claw. Blood sprayed from the alien’s chest and the crowd dissolved, running away in panic as the rest of the Kzinti dove in, their claws and teeth flashing as they attacked.

Horrified by what she was seeing, Collier stepped back into Riker. For a moment, he forgot about the murderous Kzinti. Then frantically, he pounded on his combadge. “Get us out of here! Get us out now!”

A voice called out of nowhere. “And you’re the runts that your mothers couldn’t be bothered to drown!”

The Kzinti turned away from their slaughter as Lieutenant Hobbes’ combadge translated his words and spat them back at them in the snarls and hisses of the Hero’s Tongue. As they turned to face him, the science officer ran for his life.

“I have no idea how they’re avoiding our scans,” Aimee Maguire snapped, stepping away from the engineering station and walking across the Bridge to the Ops position. Pushing Ensign Novack aside, she took over the station. “I’ve got Connelly and Sayvok brainstorming down in Engineering about how they’re jamming us, but they aren’t getting anywhere.” She slapped her hands flat against the panel. “Get me an example and I can figure something out.”

“Until we can track them down, I’m having Ntannu deploy as many of his security teams as possible to try to keep the Kzinti away from the settlements. So far, the Gianwuans are staying put where they are, but I don’t think that’ll last.” Pozach stood up from her chair, stretching her muscles. “I want you to beam down there and take care of the Kzinti ship. I suspect that the longer that we confound them, it’s more likely that they are going to attack the Cayuga directly.” She tapped Ensign Polcheny on the shoulder and motioned for her to stand. “Take Alice with you.”

“Me?” The Ensign’s eyes widened in joyful surprise.

“Her?,” Maguire asked her irritably.

Pozach shrugged, taking Polcheny’s place at the helm. “We don’t have many people to spare and while we’re in orbit, a body at the helm isn’t exactly critical.”

“Oh, thank you, Captain!,” Polcheny bubbled with astonishment. “I can’t tell you how much this means -- “ Her words were cut off as Maguire dragged her off of the Bridge.

“An away mission,” the Ensign enthused as the turbolift doors opened before them. “I don’t get on many of those. Especially with being a helm officer and all.”

“Perish the thought,” Maguire said before she gave directions to the turbolift computer.

“Real dirt underneath my feet and a horizon!” She clapped her hands with joy.

Both women stepped into the transporter room and went to the equipment lockers. The Chief Engineer took a minute to affix her tool kits and her holstered hand phaser to her belt. While Polcheny checked out her tricorder, she pinned her braid down close to her head.

“Put us within twenty meters from the Kzinti ship,” she told Petty Officer Mbanu.

Polcheny still hadn’t stopped talking, even after they had stepped onto the transporter platform. “But I also wanted to talk to you.” The world faded to blue and silver before they reappeared in a lush forest clearing. The Kzinti ship sat in the sunlight, silent and alone. “About… you know… personal stuff.”

Frowning, Maguire opened up her tricorder and began to scan the area. “Stuff?”

“Yeah,” she said evasively. “I… I mean… I just can’t say it.”

“That does make it harder.” The engineer headed towards the ship and Polcheny quickened her pace to keep up.

“It’s about Sean and how we’re involved romantically.” Alice took a deep breath before she continued,” And I figured since you the most experience of being romantically involved with anyone that I know --”

“Maybe you should stop there.” They reached the ship’s airlock and after a quick pass with her tricorder. With a disdainful snort from the engineer, both doors opened and they stepped inside.

“I don’t think that Sean thinks I’m attractive,” the helm officer pressed on, hoping for some advice from the older woman. “For a bunch of nights now, I’ve been sleeping in his quarters and … and…” She trailed off for a moment. “He hasn’t noticed me… or acted like he cares.”

The interior of the alien ship was as spacious as it was required by the massive bodies of its Kzinti crew. Red lights illuminated the quiet corridor ahead of them. Following the data on her tricorder, Maguire traced a power conduit. “Well, Sean’s a pretty religious guy. Maybe he’s got some prohibitions against sexual activity.”

“That’s silly! Where would you get all of the little religious people from then?”

Maguire pulled off an octagonal panel off of a bulkhead. “You want to make little religious people?”

“Maybe.”

Maguire examined the power systems and tapped her combadge. “M’banu, I’m in position.”

Instantly before them, the black marketeers’ sabotage device materialized on the floor before them. With a few deft movements, she attached the device and resealed the panel. “Look, if you really want my advice. I would just talk to him about it.” She snorted and led her towards the airlock. “If you don’t do it now, then there’ll undoubtedly be more talking la--”

She stepped outside of the ship and froze in mid-step. Three gigantic Kzinti were emerging from the forest. The largest of them with an almost tabby coloration hissed at the other two when he saw them.

“Oh, zh’Tali is never around when you need her,” Maguire muttered as the largest Kzinti moved forward, dropping from two legs to four legs with liquid grace. His amber eyes narrowed and raping snarls emerged from between his sharp teeth.

“What’s he saying?,” Polcheny asked, captivated by the felinoids.

“Back away slowly.”

Frowning at them, the helm officer said,” That seems to be a very silly thing for him to be saying.”

“Just run, you idiot!” Maguire bolted back inside the ship. “Mbanu! Mbanu, get us the hell out of here!”

“We seem to be spending an awful lot of time running away from these guys,” Pasko remarked with a smirk.

“Because I’m sure that a big man like you would have just stood them down,” Maguire scowled from the Bridge engineering station. “I swear the damned thing shredded my jacket!”

To Captain Pozach’s eye, her uniform appeared to be undamaged but she let the comment slide. “How are you looking down on the surface?”

“Lieutenant Ntannu reports that there have been no more Kzinti contacts around the village in the past hour,” Riker reported. His skin was still tinted green from the undercover prosthetic and he rubbed at his cheeks. “In fact, the warship is powering up its engines.”

“Get ready,” Pozach told Maguire. “Sean, see that they meet us quickly. Mister Riker, send the Kzinti a reminder that Gianwu II is protected by the Prime Directive and that they’re not to interfere.”

“No response,” he reported,” but they are charging their weapons.”

Pozach leaned forward in her chair. “Warn them one more time.”

“Waste of time,” he grumbled underneath his breath.

“We’ve got a bit of time to spare,” the Captain replied before she sighed. “I trust that there’s no response?”

Riker looked over his shoulder at her. “They’ll be within weapons range in eight seconds.”

“Aimee.”

With a vindictive grin, Maguire stabbed a button on her panel. On the main viewscreen, the Kzinti vessel stumbled in space at the same time that blue electrical energy flared over its hull. The engineer’s malicious chuckle filled the Bridge.

“Kzinti power emissions are at zero power,” pronounced the Ops officer. “The ship is traveling solely on momentum.”

“Sean, catch them with a tractor beam and set a course for the nearest Kzinti system.” Jeanne grinned and added,” Good job, everyone.”

“Stupid. So incredibly stupid.”

Brandon Hobbes turned away from the stars streaking past his window and glared. “Is that all that you’ve come here to say?”

“Well, I think that ‘stupid’ pretty much covers it well,” Tom Riker snapped back at him, “You used to have much more sense than to challenge a bunch of eight-hundred pound killing machines to a game of Tag.”

“Like that time that you insulted the mothers of that entire gang of Nausciaans?”

“I was too drunk to know what I was doing. Plus I thought that they were Betazoids,” he reminded him. “I don’t want to see you hurt, Brandon! Is getting yourself killed a part of your mission to do good?”

Hobbes stepped away from the window and dropped down onto his bed. The sterile bandages wrapped around his chest and arms gleamed in the pale light. “I can’t save myself by sacificing others,” he said, sounding tired. “Not anymore.” He motioned to his computer screen where a commendation of heroism appeared upon it. “Captain Pozach seems to approve of my actions.”

“Jeanne Pozach is a naive little woman who would let you die before she did anything to save your life.” Hobbes stared up at him, too drained to bother with a response. “Damned fool,” Riker said and then he was gone.”

Long shadows filled the corridor and Riker sauntered down it, reading door plates at he went by. Finding the one that he wanted, he keyed the door chimes. After a few moments, the door slid open and a drowsy Roslyn Collier stared back at him, quickly becoming more awake in his presence.

“You want me,” he told her. It was a question, a suggestion, and a command all in one sentence.

Collier cocked her head to one side and considered him with a wry smile. Then slowly, she stepped back inside her questers, letting him in.

The End…

2. Galen4

Galen4 Captain Captain

Sol III, within the universe of United Trek
    This is some damn fine work!
    You've been posting fast and furious so I'm not fully caught up yet.
    But looking forward to my reading!

3. admiralelm11

Thank you. It's been keeping me busy during Lockdown.

4. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting run in with a clearly volatile species and a creative solution to deal with their attitude.

I was only slightly confused as I missed the fact that the Kzinti ship had landed on the planet. I had somehow asssumed it was still in space.

Riker remains a pretty unlikeable oaf here, and Hobbs doesn't seem a lot better.

5. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

NOTE: The Kzinti appeared in The Animated Series, and are a major empire in the Star Fleet Battles universe.

6. admiralelm11

I know nothing about the 'Star Fleet Battles' universe. I just wanted to use a species that hadn't been used since the Animated Series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.