Star Trek Board Games/Table Top Games

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Nightcreature, May 23, 2022.

1. Nightcreature

Nightcreature Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't remember seeing a topic about the best Star Trek board games out there now.

I've played Star Trek Five Year Mission at a board game cafe which was pretty underwhelming.

The top two Star Trek board games from what I've read are Star Trek: Fleet Captains and Star Trek: Ascendancy.

Supposedly, Fleet Captains plays out more like episodes from the series whereas Ascendancy plays out like a civilization type game where progress through an entire history of race after they discover warp.

What are your best experiences with Trek board games and which ones are your favorite?

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

A Klingon Challenge (or whatever the TNG game was called)

3. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I own a whole bunch of Star Trek board & card games...

Some of the ones I've enjoyed:
    Star Trek Chrono-Trek - a time-travel card game! Players try to either alter or keep the timeline intact by adjusting events to change the outcome of key moments in Trek history. Link.

Star Trek Panic - a co-operative game where players protect the Enterprise from attacks coming from all directions. Very hectic and fast-paced! The first time we played, the Doomsday Machine ate us... :vulcan: Link.

Star Trek Fluxx - a card game where the rules change as the game goes on, never plays the same way twice! There are decks themed for the original series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager, plus extra card packs with Enterprise characters. Link.

Star Trek III: Struggle for the Throne - This one is older and bit harder to find, and despite the name it doesn't have much to do with The Search For Spock... This a a game of Klingon power politics and intrigue, where players scheme, plot and stab their way into becoming the next Emperor. Link.

Stevil2001 and dupersuper like this.
  4. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a few TNG CCG cards, but never played :wah:

5. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I have boxes full of Star Trek CCG cards. It was fun while it started, but it's a little depressing to think I spent thousands of dollars on bits of cardboard which are now just tucked away in a cupboard.

6. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

This is absolutely corect. I've played a lot of both and they're both really fun. I will say Ascendancy is much more 'polished' than Fleet Captains, which is quite a budget production in terms of card quality and model quality.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I got CATAN just for the little ships

8. Nightcreature

Nightcreature Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Both are good but I went with Fleet Captains for a few reasons.

It seem that Fleet Captains is much more thematic compared to Ascendancy so many things that happened in actual episodes can happen in Fleet Captains whereas Ascendancy is essentially a 4X Star Trek game which is also fun if you are looking for that. I'll eventually play and buy both.

I agree with the budget production comment.

Also, for Fleet Captains the Romulan expansion (my favorite race) is out of print so I found a decent deal on Ebay and bought it. I didn't want to buy Ascendancy first and later Fleet Captains only to have to pay hundreds of dollars for the out of print Romulan expansion.