Star Trek 2010

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Man of Steel, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[LEFT]As we say goodbye to 2010, what has been your favorite Trek event of the year? Book or otherwise?

[/LEFT]

2. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    My Trek event of the year is friends I made on this forum :D :techman:

3. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well 2010 was quite disappointing. The only highlight was Zero Sum Game, (I have just received Shattered Light

My favourite comic was Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor

I hope 2011 is an improvement on the book line and the comic story lines

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Having a Trek book commissioned and written. Strike off another ambition from the list...

5. Man of Steel

2011 ambitions for you David include but not limited it to.

Skydiving
    Rock climbing
    Drag Racing
    Jump off a high rise building

Also, get drunk, dance around England naked declaring your love for Trek. (Try doing that while crashing Prince Willi's wedding):devil::evil:

And anything else that screams "Let's do some death defying shit to play around with my life.: :devil::lol:

6. Lonemagpie

Skydiving - Not a chance. unless the plane is on fire and plummeting to earth.

Rock climbing - depends where it is. I've done some before. ETA - then again, that was before the left shoulder went, so I doubt I'd be able to now!

Drag Racing - that'd be cool.

Jump off a high rise building - somehow I doubt it

Also, get drunk, dance around England naked declaring your love for Trek. - That's normal convention behaviour. Come to Redemption 11 in February... (http:/www.smof.com/redemption)

(Try doing that while crashing Prince Willi's wedding):devil::evil: - And steal Harry's thunder?

And anything else that screams "Let's do some death defying shit to play around with my life." - I'd love to go pirate-hunting off Somalia.... I do enjoy duelling with live steel, of course.

Though, really, I was thinking more of ambitions along the lines of "write a Star Wars novel" or "write some James Bond in whatever medium" or "get a screen credit on something..." (Pysch or Murdoch Mysteries for preference.)

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was cool to actually read some novels in the year they were published in 2010. In half a book's time I'll actually be up-to-date on the Voyager corner of Treklit!:eek::D I've enjoyed all the 2010 books I've gotten this year. The Needs of the Many was an unexpected highlight (Gorn/baseball chapter aside)

2010 was also the year I finally started buying stuff online, and thus I've read books I'd dreamed of owning since I was a kid, like the old Best of Trek's. I've also got The Christmas of Treklit coming up in 4 days time!:)

8. Man of Steel

Well, I left a few out.

Mountain climbing,
    Ski Avalanching down a snow peak mountain (i'm to chicken to attempt this. Well, that and I don't know how to ski)

Para sailing while having an apple shot off your head :)

Here's one: Write my biography. Believe me that's a novel unto itself. :)

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

If you count the expanded Sorrows Of Empire as a 2010 book, then that's obviously the clear highlight. Damn near perfect.

If you don't, really the only treklit published this year I can be unequivocally positive about is the Wardilmore story from Seven Deadly Sins. I had major problems with everything else all year.

Not a banner year for Trek.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. If not, then The Children of Kings would be my highlight.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Star Trek Online was my favorite Trek event of the year. I'm also happy I read Destiny and the Borg trilogy that preceded it. Those were all fun books. I also enjoyed reading the Voyager relaunch though I'll never forgive Kristen Beyer for killing of Dr. Kaz who was one of my favorite new characters. I suppose my next years resolution will be to read the DS9 relaunch in its entirety. I've had the books for months but I've never set aside the time to read them all in a row.

12. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

At the beginning of the year I said to myself that it was time to get back into Trek literature, as I hadn't read anything beyond Unity by S.D. Perry and the first two Voyager relaunch books.

This year, I've caught up on the TNG and VOY relaunches, will catch up on the ENT relaunch next week, and have discovered quite a few 'new' authors in the process of catching up on 4+ years of book releases. Destiny was THE read of the year, of course; there's nothing quite like it. Greater than the Sum, Full Circle, and Losing the Peace were all highlights.

13. Man of Steel

Defiantly Sorrows of Empires.

Also:

1) The Vanguard books that came out this year

2) Troublesome Minds. Say what you will but I really enjoyed this one.

3) Kristen Beyer's VGR books were great to.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Can I just say that The Children of Kings was so damn good? More Dave Stern TOS right away!

15. Lonemagpie

Mountain climbing - see my reply on rock-climbing

Ski Avalanching down a snow peak mountain (i'm to chicken to attempt this. Well, that and I don't know how to ski) - I'd be up for that, if someone's paying the air-fare...

Para sailing while having an apple shot off your head :) - I'd have to do the shooting

Here's one: Write my biography. Believe me that's a novel unto itself. :) - I think I've seen the comic book version already....

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last Vanguard book was published in December 2009, so I'm not sure where you get "books that came out this year" from. I guess there was the Distant Early Warning reprint in the COE trades, but I wouldn't really count that as 2010.

Another 2009 release.

And again both were published in 2009.

Do you live one year in the past or something? :vulcan:

17. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I count Sorrows Of Empire as a 2010 book because I read it in January and I feel exactly the same way except for the fact that I liked a couple more stories in Seven Deadly Sins.

I have hopes for 2011. A couple Vanguard books and novels by Ward, George, Bennet and Beyer. Man, I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to a Voyager novel.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Agreed.

19. Man of Steel

I know the year they were out but I bought em this year so for me they are new :)

20. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Shattered Light was probably the best this year, IMHO. The TYphon Pact books were second.