Star Trek 2009 differences between theatrical and home versions of the movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by captainkirk, Nov 20, 2021.

1. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

So this is something that's been on my mind since seeing the movie on DVD for the first time but I've never bothered to ask anyone about it until now. There were two lines of dialog I remembered from seeing in the theater that aren't present in the physical media releases or the streaming version. For a while, I thought maybe I'd just imagined them, but then I read the movie's script, and there they were:

[​IMG]
    This is the one I most distinctly remember. In the final cut, it goes straight from "He's beautiful." to "George you should be here."

[​IMG]
    And Uhura's line here is gone completely.

Am I imagining things? Were these lines and maybe others in the theatrical cut and then removed for all subsequent releases for some reason?

jackoverfull likes this.
  2. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I can't speak for the 2009 movie, but I know sometimes the differences between the theatrical and broadcast/media cuts are somewhat odd. For many years, I enjoyed watching a copy of TWOK that had been taped off a broadcast, and added back in some scenes which provide story context but were cut from the theatrical version. Like the scene of Kirk's inspection where Peter is established to be Scott's nephew, which is a nice bit of continuity and really makes his death later have more impact.

It wasn't until years later that I learned this particular scene was not part of the original theatrical cut, which has always struck me as odd since to me it's a key part of the overall story and it's only a small portion of the running time. Likewise the home versions of TUC omitted the briefing scenes for Operation Return, and some parts cut out the extended fight between Kirk and the alien at the prison camp.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't recall either line personally.

Did you perhaps read the novelization? Both lines are contained there, and I've certainly had times where I'd swear I heard a line in a film that I actually only read. It was hard not to in the '80s when you could read the novelization over and over but not own the film itself. :D

4. captainkirk

Nope, I haven’t read the novelization of any of the Star Trek movies.

As I said, I thought I’d just imagined the lines until I saw them in the script. But the thing is I’ve never seen any mention of alternative cuts of the movie, so I’m still super confused.

5. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it in theaters several times and my memory says those lines weren't in there

BillJ and Search4 like this.
  6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm with the crowd that says the lines were never in the theatrical release.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm 90% sure Uhura's line is in there, just VERY quiet/under hear breath as it cuts to McCoy.

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. captainkirk

I can only assume that I must have imagined them since they're fairly predictable lines in those situations. Or I crossed into an alternate universe after seeing the movie in theaters, one with a slightly different edit.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

It's certainly possible they exist in a version of the script and either were cut from the final version for time, or were simply not filmed at all. I've seen some scripts of TNG and DS9 eps where some scenes have extended dialogue, and personally it would have been cool to actually have it included.

10. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

If my memory serves the first one was in one of the trailers...?

Therin of Andor likes this.
  11. captainkirk

I know we see baby Kirk in one of the trailers, but that’s during Pike’s line in the bar. The only deleted footage I know is the trailers is the Klingon stuff and an alternate take of Pike.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, I don't recall the "he looks like you" part, or the "and you never will." I saw the movie in theaters several times. But it's been a while since 2009, and the memory fades.

Kor

13. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t think the lines were there. And if they were, the film coming out in 2009, someone would have likely made note about that time.

14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Those lines were never in the theatrical release. I'm semi-proud/semi-embarrassed to say that I saw Star Trek 2009 11 times in the theater that year, and I've got a very good memory.

Richard S. Ta and saddestmoon like this.
  15. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

It sounds like you are experiencing "The Mandela Effect."

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The Mandela Effect is when a group of people all share the same false memory.

BillJ and saddestmoon like this.
  17. Phoenix219

I am aware, but, this type of "personal M.E." comes up incessantly on message boards. I've heard this exact anecdote many a time, but with different movies/deleted scenes in question. (I am a member of a couple Mandela Effect facebook groups, not because I believe in an odd, supernatural, universe hopping explanation, but because I am still intrigued by the entire thing, and am endlessly entertained with the outlandish things people come up with. But I digress.)

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That already has a name though. A false memory.

Before The Mandella Effect was popularized (or maybe coined, not sure when that happened) I used to call it Darklighter Syndrome due to all the people who swore that the Biggs on Tatooine scenes were in the version of Star Wars they watched as a kid. :D

BillJ and CorporalCaptain like this.
  19. Phoenix219

As far as I know, the "Mandela Effect" was coined in 2009 by a woman named Fiona Broom, who had a popular blog about the subject. I understand that the "official" definition requires multiple people to have the same false memory, but was using the current "popular" term that "believers" use while discussing their single, disjointed memory. Star Wars comes up a lot, everything from 3PO's silver leg, to the "I am your father" quote. I'm not sure if I had seen the Biggs one before, but that is right in line with what a lot of people insist upon, as per my experience. Lots of insistence on seeing cuts of movies or deleted scenes way before it was possible. For the most part, I am in the groups just to learn trivia, debunk nonsense, and get a little entertainment, although there are a few that are seriously hard to find the cause of the false memory. Most of them are extremely logical, and make a lot of sense, and have a lot to do with pop culture and parodies, and I find it all very intriguing. Although. How many people here remember a damn cornucopia associated with Fruit of the Loom??

Tosk likes this.
  20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't remember either of these lines, I saw the film four times in the theater. Did you maybe go to an advance screening or some other special showing before the broader release?