Star Trek 101?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Baerbel Haddrell, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I have just got my new TV Zone (#221). According to this Star Trek book list the title of David Mack`s trilogy is "Columbia". I assume, this is an earlier title.

What makes me wonder is the announcement of "Star Trek 101 by Paula M. Block and Terry Erdman", a paperback. It is announced for October next year, meaning US release September.

I am curious. What is this book about?

2. Larki_Toran

Larki_Toran Lieutenant Red Shirt

AFAIK, it's about everything. Information about all the ST movies, all the episodes, all the books... more or less a guide to all things trek.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Paula herself discussed it - was it here, or in a print interview? - a few months ago.

Essentiallly it's a primer about Star Trek (ie. American education courses that introduce a topic, and give a broad overview, are often called "Politics 101", or "Communications 101", etc; deeper studies have different codes) aimed to give people an overall handy reckoner of brief information about Star Trek.

The model is something like "'The Lord of the Rings' for Dummies", which I already have, and is a great addition to my more web-oriented "For Dummies" guides collection. So you can expect trivia, premises, characters, episode guides, etc, all in one book.

4. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting. [Speculation Mode] I seem to recall mention that Destiny would deal with elements from Trek's past. Given the scope of time and space we've been lead to believe Destiny will involve, perhaps the events therein will show or relate to how and why the NX-02 Columbia winds up crashing in the Gamma Quadrant, as shown in that calender image. [/Speculation Mode] Then again, might be total coincidence.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I gather that Star Trek 101 is meant in part to remedy the absence of series companion books for ENT and the animated series. Although I assume its material on those series would be more concise than a full companion would have, since it covers all the series.

Or maybe it's a tribute to Star Trek's new owners, the Columbia Broadcasting System! :D (Which is what CBS stands for, if anyone didn't know that.)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Columbia? I thought it was like Corporate or something. I just looked it up on wiki and apparently it's been called the Tiffany Network. :guffaw:

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh yes, "the Tiffany Network" was its nickname for quite some time, as a reference to its quality and prestige at the time. It was founded by the same company that was behind Columbia Records, which was named for the site of its headquarters, the District of Columbia. Which was named in turn for the poetic name for the United States, which was named for Christopher Columbus. Who was named after, err, umm... Lieutenant Columbo? No, he was on NBC...

8. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting. My current pet theory is that it will in some way involve the Ascendants. And a high body count. But mostly... a high body count. :rommie: