ST1: Terrifying Transporter

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Beam Brain, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Beam Brain

Beam Brain Ensign Newbie

Star Trek: The Motion Picture. There is not much motion or emotion on this. Growing up on TOS I was thrilled when they answered Star Wars with a Trek movie but I didn't expect it to be so yawn.....

My Observations:

• Yes We See The Enterprise: They spent forever showing the ship off. I get it, they redesigned it but Kirk was chomping at the bit to get out there and Scotty takes him on the grand tour and then when it left dock, they focused on it again. Too much.
    • Holy Horrible Transport Batman!: The transporter accident was well done (that sounds sadistic, doesn't it?). That leaves scars on one's brain. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to form with body parts connecting to the wrong locations....YIKES! That part was hard to watch.
    • Phasers Channeled Through The Main Engines: What could possibly go wrong? One would think that if they lose the mains the phasers shouldn't work. They must have overlooked that when ST2 came out since the phasers fired on aux power. Who doesn't like hearing Chekov call out in a distorted voice "Torpedo Away!"
    • Like Father, Like Son: Both Decker Sr and Decker Jr went out with a bang. So much for carrying on the family line. Oh well, Decker Jr Jr would have gone out in a blaze or glory too. After all it runs in the family. But why would Will trade his life for melding with a machine? I wouldn't want to serve on a ship he is commanding.
    That is my lame input on the first one. One step closer to getting my 14 posts in....

jackoverfull likes this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

FYI, you don't need to start threads to get your 14 posts in. You can just reply to threads you find interesting.

Kor and Beam Brain like this.
  3. Beam Brain

Beam Brain Ensign Newbie

Well that helps Thanks!

jackoverfull and XCV330 like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

seems like a really bad design choice. No redundancy.. no worse, the opposite of redundancy. "

"Crap. The windshield is fogging up and the car is starting to slip on patches of ice. I'll turn on the defroster and drive more slowly"

"NO! BELAY that order! The defroster is now coupled directly to the cylinder heads which feeds back into the traction control and then into the fuel tank. you'll kill us all!"

Kirk clearly was not involved in the design review. I feel like ADMIRAL (in my best Montalban) Kirk tore someone a new ventilator shaft after this was over and got that particular snafu fixed.

I like that bit. You can hear his relief at getting SOMETHING to work at that moment.

he had a chance to be with Ilia again?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What does one have to do with the other? This isn't just a machine but a machine who possess, in some way, his lost love. Why would he not engage in that opportunity to experience that love again, and to share it with a new life form, boldly going as it were? Unless Decker has long lost loves all around the galaxy I don't see the problem with his being in command.

Commander Troi likes this.
  6. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it wasn't just a machine. It was Ilia, the one being in all the universe who he had been aching to "join with" for years but had never been able to because of her Oath of Celibacy (tm), and, according to novels, the certainty of having his brains scrambled from the experience if the Deltan oath was broken. But now as a merged superior being, they would be perpetually "joined" for all time in sublime, ecstatic bliss.

Kor

jackoverfull and Commander Troi like this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, as polarizing as TMP can be for some people....it is probably the least "plot hole-ridden" of the entire movie franchise. Other than the silly notion of the Enterprise being the only ship between V'Ger and Earth, it's pretty solid from an internal consistency and logic standpoint.

8. Maurice

Only “starship”. Earlier drafts of the script had the light cruiser Aswan in position to intercept first, but it was immediately destroyed.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I take it they were replaced with Epsilon IX?

10. Maurice

That was pretty much always there.

BillJ likes this.
  11. Alisa K

Alisa K Ensign Red Shirt

Yup. Sums it up pretty well.

jackoverfull likes this.
  12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Any drawings of that craft?

13. Maurice

No. It was not to appear on camera. They would get a message from it before V’ger annihilated it.

publiusr likes this.
  14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

[​IMG]
    Sonak Night Fever
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

15. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course it's too soon, it won't even happen for 251 years.

17. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I feel the same way about TMP as I do about TNG Season 1, in that I don't like the stories but I like the look and feel of the universe. I think the opening Klingon battle is great and always liked Epsilon IX just floating out there in the middle of nowhere.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That was up there with Cygnus in terms of complexity. I wonder.

You saw more vehicles and stations in TMP than before or since:

Orbital Office
    Dry dock
    Epsilon Sensor Picket
    Vulcan Shuttle
    Work Bee
    Sky Tram
    Ktinga
    Enterprise
    V’ger.

Now, I think there is a story to that malfunction. Too early to be a Cartwright/Morrow conspiracy….could something else have been going on?

I blame it on the base….maybe those two got ‘noticed’ by….

Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
  19. Falconer

Falconer Commander Red Shirt

But WHY did they keep the transporter accident in the movie? Wasn’t it originally to explain why they were stuck with such a young Vulcan (Xon)?

Not to mention, “It wasn’t your fault, Rand” — no-one was thinking it till you said it, dude!

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes. In "In Thy Image", a Commander Ronak (not Sonak) is killed in the transporter, meaning that young Lieutenant Xon is assigned as his replacement.

It adds some danger to the story, emphasises that the ship is not really ready, and also sets up McCoy's displeasure in transporters later (an in-joke for regular TOS fans not anticipated by general audiences).

Jack Wolfe likes this.