ST:2017 - Former Guest Stars IN Reoccurring Roles (or lead roles)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Long Syntax, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was musing about the upcoming Trek in 2017 and was wondering what actors people might like to see either as recurring or more permanent roles. I think it would provide some continuity without being overtly fan-wankery.

I for one would like to see Jeffery Combs in almost any role, preferably in a more permanent reoccurring role a-la DS-9 or ST:ENT.

ADz83 likes this.
  2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vaughn Armstrong, of course.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Really, just about any star/guest star in a new role would be welcome, and a nice "easter egg" for the existing fans of the franchise.

Having previous characters reappear is something that I would prefer was used sparingly.

Naturally a place must be found for William Shatner.

5. XManRCJ

XManRCJ Ensign Red Shirt

Louise Fletcher, but playing sweet mother/grandmother of one of the mains. Total 180 from Wynn.

6. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the new captain could commune with the previous captains who would be played by the original actors. :B

Zonker and ADz83 like this.
  7. Long Syntax

Having Shat in the series (or first episode a la McCoy in TNG) sounds interesting, but how to do it well is the question. They could have a sceen where they're reviewing an old 21st century TV broadcast and have a priceline commercial appear - interesting cameo :guffaw:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Zonker likes this.
  8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Use one of the stars from a previous show in a role that is completely unrelated to his/her former starring role.... for example, Robert Picardo as a sinister and vicious Section 31 agent.

Kor

9. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ken Jenkins (Dr. Kelso) as the CMO? :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Tony Todd and Geofrey Combs, definately

11. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if the show introduces nanites into the equation as a futuristic technology, it might be helpful to have Dr. Stubbs onhand as an expert.

12. Jeffe525

Jeffe525 Commander Red Shirt

I really hope they set the new show about 25 year after NEM. That would allow us to see the occasional Admiral Riker/Troi, Captain Harry Kim, Governor Worf, The Doctor, and maybe a rebirthed Data via B-4. I agree that these characters should only be used sparingly, but I think it would help maintain that big-universe feel we've become accustomed to. Plus, I for one would love to see how some of my old-time TNG-era favorites are getting on in life, if only as a cameo or part of a one-off subplot.

I also agree that they should find a couple of minor recurring spots for Armstrong and Combs. They have become ST staples and were both great in ENT.

As far as as Shatner goes, eh... I mean, Trek has become a multi-generational thing now, both in plot and in real life. We know Kirk is dead, and we should assume that everyone from ENT and TOS is long dead (except for Spock, who is stuck in some past weird universe - plus Nimoy is dead). So IMHO we should let the past remain the past, and move on. To quote Kirk (ST-IV), "Let them die."

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, seeing more of the same characters we already know would give the feel of a "big universe"? That's quite the opposite and even has a name in fiction these days, " small world syndrome".

14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

None of them should appear, not even once!

I'd have no problem with the actors showing up in new roles but forget the old ones, it's a big universe.

15. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

Spock's cameo in TNG was done very elegantly, very convincingly. I felt that LaForge's cameo was shoved into Voyager. I'm not opposed but make it convincing and don't over use it as a device.

16. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Let the past remain the past, and move on".

We can presume that the TOS and ENT characters have long since aged and died, and lets leave it at that. I prefer to remember the characters as their younger selves.

17. ADz83

ADz83 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think cameo's of previous characters are essential to the new series being a success. It needs good continuation and should be set 18 years after Dominion War. No reboots or JJVerse crap.

18. Long Syntax

ADz83 likes this.
  19. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1.) Patrick Steward as a retired Picard, who appears in the last five minutes of the pilot episode and gives a short, powerfull speech in honour of the maiden voyage of the new ship and crew, shakes hands with the new Captain, and then leaves to his wine fields.

Then: NO cameos for the first 2 seasons of the new show! Let them find themselves! After that:

2.) Jeri Ryan as Annika Hanson . After the (inevitable) first Borg episode, Starfleet seeks advice from the former Borg on the new kind of Drones our new crew has encountered. Annika is less than thrilled, and had hoped to finally having left this part of her life behind her, but is now exposed to her past and conflicted feelings towards the Borg (and humans!)

3.) William Shatner. A bunch of Orion space pirates have gained acces to a DNA-probe of the legendary Captain Kirk and have cloned him in hopes of gaining iside from his legendary intellect and tactical experience. Instead, Nu/Old/EvilKirk has taken over the whole pirave hierarchy. Let Shatner ham up the scenery!

4.) Kate Mulgrew. As a grumpy, cynical Admiral Janeway, that orders our new crew on a questionable mission. The tension rises, as our Captain wants do the morally right choice, but is ordered to to the questionable thing that benefits the Federation.

5.) Jake Sisko, as a valiant journalists on the frontiers of known space, whose endearing writings focuses on the needs of the socially deprived, who are forgotten in order to benefit the people at home.

Zonker and ADz83 like this.