Contest: ENTER Spring 2016 Fanfic Contest - The Captain's Table

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Bry_Sinclair, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Seeing as how the contests always sparked some really good stories, I'm going to take a punt and try to relaunch them for any and all who wish to enter.

The theme is going to be very broad, encompassing the novelverse tavern known as "The Captain's Table", an elite drinking establishment open to Captain's only, though spans the centuries and is run by the enigmatic Cap. There are only two things you need to keep in mind with this:
    1. The protagonist must hold the rank of Captain (or equivalent),
    2. If possible stories should be in First Person, though other perspectives will also be acceptable,
    3. The Captain must tell a story about a significant incident (good or bad) in their past.

Other than that your POV character can be from canon or your own fiction, the story they tell the other patrons can be about anything, but they are the focus of it. Maybe they saved a planet from certain doom, maybe they hunted down the most dangerous criminal in the Romulan Neutral Zone, maybe they recount their wedding day or the birth of their first child. The story they tell must be of importance to them.

RULES:
    - Stories must be your original work and cannot have been posted here previously (all new/original works).
    - 15,000 word limit.
    - Remember to post a link to your story in this thread.
    - Submission date: Sunday 31st, July 2016 at 23:59 (BST).

Any comments, questions, queries, etc, just ask.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    soornge and Kuri like this.
  2. atpatp

atpatp Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Okay, I will write something, I need to work on my "show don't tell" anyway. But how solid are you on the submission deadline? Haven't been to the forum in a while.

3. Bry_Sinclair

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I might push it back by a few weeks, just in case inspiration grips anyone this month. So let's say no later than the 15th of June.

4. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

It must be 1st person? Do you have a link to Captain's Table examples?

5. Bry_Sinclair

I'm afraid I don't have any links. I've got a couple of the books, which gave me the idea for this theme.

I did think that part of this being a challenge is also one for the writer, to experiment with something new. Though the amended closing date is tomorrow and no entries have been submitted yet.

If it'd help anyone out there, I'll remove insistence for first person perspective and extend the deadline again. Let me know, otherwise my attempt to revive the Fan Fiction Challenge has failed and I leave it to someone else to take up the gauntlet.

6. atpatp

I am almost finished with my story. It adheres pretty close to the rules. Although I am running a few days behind. As soon as I entered the contest I ton of writer's block hit me like a, well, ton. Mainly in the form of lots of work IRL.

I could use a few more days, although I am embarrassed to ask for another extension. I will try to finish it tonight.

Of course it's not a contest if no one else posts. Should I post my story anyway? It's pretty suckie. Lol

7. Bry_Sinclair

I'll extend the deadline again (see original post for new closing date).

@atpatp you could be a trend setter and get others writing, so I'd say get it posted!

8. atpatp

Excellent! I will start editing tonight. Thank you for the extension, once again!

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  9. Kuri

Kuri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

@Bry_Sinclair I think that's a great challenge! I can imagine an entry starting something like...

"Yoho! Gather ye round space-dogs, an I'll tell ye how I lost me leg!" :biggrin:

Unfortunately my current (and first ever) trek project violates all of your rules except the word limit, so I'll have to bow out this time. :confused: I wish you luck and look forward to reading the entries, though.:techman:

Kuri

10. CaptainGold

CaptainGold Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's late but I will try and get one in! thanks for reviving this favorite thread!

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  11. atpatp

12. Bry_Sinclair

@atpatp, I've not had the chance to get it read yet, it's on the "to do" list (through from what I've skimmed so far it looks intriguing), however as the sole entry you win be default.

Congratulations!

Your prize: devise the next writing challenge.

Good luck to you.

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

It's a shame there wasn't more activity. I had an idea and started writing a story in the last week of the contest but didn't get it remotely finished. However, having started it, I want to finish it now. So, it might show up here in the forum eventually.

Congrats, @atpatp! I'll re-open the winning entries thread so you can post your story there.

14. Bry_Sinclair

It was worth a punt. Hopefully the next theme might inspire more.

15. atpatp

I am not sure if I should start a contest. Since technically I didn't win anything. But more to the point, with zero contestants this writing challenge is pretty much dead? If someone shows interest, reply and I will start the Fall/Winter writing challenge.

16. soornge

soornge Commander Red Shirt

usually write in the fall for winter hobby : would be up for a contest or just some good places to post fan fiction maybe the most reputable would be awesome

17. brianwdaugherty

brianwdaugherty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd love to participate in another writing challenge, should one come along.

18. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

OK, ignore my new thread above, as I didn't see this. Since I'm back, and a prior participant and one time winner of the contests, I would like to weigh in and say that I would love to be involved in these again. They were a really nice way to keep creativity flowing in ways to stretch one's boundaries...and to keep writing in months when regular muses appearance was a bit thin.

SolarisOne and brianwdaugherty like this.