Sports in Trek Lit

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Aug 8, 2016.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I believe that game was called "Velocity."

2. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm currently reading TNG: Exiles by Howard Weinstein. An early scene has Riker, Geordi and Worf in the holodeck playing football and then rugby. Riker and Geordi are introducing Worf to ancient contact sports. I remember in TNG: Grounded by David Bischoff, he starts the book with the crew playing beach volleyball.

3. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The alternate reality-set Starfleet Academy book "The Assassination Game" featured Kirk playing velocity against one of the Varkolak visitors. And, I believe, nearly getting beaned by a disc, if not actually.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Garak and Worf played soccer (A Stitch in Time and in the Starfleet cadet novels) if I'm not mistaken.
    Garak was a goal-keeper.......;)

And Kathryn Janeway's former boyfriend Mark Johnson used to be a good distance swimmer.

Ah, and Picard winning the Academy marathon.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't Parrises Squares, I know that much, because that's a team sport (requires 2 teams of 4 players each). It was probably squash or springball.

6. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

8. retroenzo

retroenzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Surprised nobody's mentioned these yet but Sisko was a fan of baseball, and Archer loved water polo.

Plus Voyager has catered for sports in 'Drive' (motorsport - or at least the 24th century equivalent) and 'The Fight' (boxing)

9. retroenzo

retroenzo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

(Apologies - I can't edit or delete my post but I just realised this thread is about Trek literature and not Trek episodes...)

10. Brefugee

Brefugee Living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Having the replay of the All Ireland Hurling Semi Final on in the background (the wife is watching) has just made me wonder, has Hurling ever appeared in Trek lit?

11. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I want to say Diane Duane included an Irish sports game in one of her books but cannot say which one. I have a memory of Kirk talking to someone in Ireland.

And continuing my vague memories, one of the Dominion War novels mentioned a sports competition taking place, possibly football World Cup, though maybe Quadrant Cup? Riker, Crusher and others discussed it at the Starbase they visited.