Sports in Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by BlueStuff, Jun 7, 2019.

1. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which of the various sports of today do you think are still being played, whether professionally or recreationally, in the future that Trek gives us? We know that Sisko has a keen interest in baseball but I can't recall if pro baseball is referred to solely in historic terms, or if it's mentioned as still running into the 24th century.

Furthermore, I'd love to know if the World Cup, Wimbledon finals, the NBA/NFL/NHL etc are still being contested in the world of Trek or if they're discontinued at some point in our fictional future, and if so, for what reasons. What do you think?

2. nutshell

nutshell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Sisko baseball episodes were awful.

We know there’s rick climbing (if that’s a sport). I like to think there’s still football/soccer. The Olympics or some variation thereof are probably still around.

3. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Tennis has been played by hand since the 12th century and with rackets since the 16th century...maybe it’ll be played with a hover-ball in the 24th.

Janeway competed in tennis as a teen in VOY executive producer Jeri Taylor’s once “semi-canon” biographical novel Mosaic.

4. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Golf between Scotty and a Klingon was featured in the book "How Much For Just The Planet".

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jai alai.

Kor

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It was established that professional baseball was largely extinct by the 24th century. Sisko's passion for an archaic, all-but-forgotten pastime was treated as a personal eccentricity.

Kind of like modern-day folks who are into medieval ballads or jousting or whatever. Baseball has become a historical curiosity, despite Sisko's best efforts to keep the flame alive.

GNDN18 and Markonian like this.
  7. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Worf attended a bat'lith (sp?) competition, Kirk spoke of Klingons maintaining a dueling tradition.

Charlie X showed Kirk teaching Charlie beginning lessons in martial arts. It would be easy to imagine Kirk engaging in fighting as a sport.

Picard fences, as does Sulu as one of his ever changing hobbies.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Baseball is alive and well on Cestus III at least. I wonder if colonial sports are a Minor League type of thing, or something completely off the professional radars?

One of Julian Bashir's career options was tennis. We don't know how that would work in a moneyless or at least salaryless society, but the sport clearly carried some prestige, perhaps akin to today's.

It takes money to turn sports into entertainment today. Perhaps this bit goes away in the future, actually facilitating rather than killing sports-based entertainment? It's just that there would be so many sports to choose from that even soccer might be a marginal thing, with barely fifty billion followers. (Or, in a society without labor or wages, with barely fifty billion practitioners.)

Timo Saloniemi

9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Horse riding - Picard, Kirk
    Swimming - Mark Johnson, Janeway's Ex.
    Soccer - Worf

10. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

If Baseball had become a very niche activity I would expect other team sports like American Football, Hockey and Basketball would have as well. At least in the forms we know them today.

If tennis is around, I would expect golf is as well.

11. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Football, The World Cup, got a mention in Enterprise when Archer was trying to break the ice with Reed over breakfast

saddestmoon likes this.
  12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's not forget Archer's love of water polo.

Kor

saddestmoon likes this.
  13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^ I was trying to....

saddestmoon, Seven of Five and Kor like this.
  14. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Much as I like Archer, water polo is a shit sport for a Captain to like

15. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Boxing gloves … on a stick!
    D8DEFC1A-2182-4221-A79C-6BEF225521E0.gif
    It might have helped the duck:
    33EB35A7-70A7-40FE-A899-1929AB6A7961.gif

The Old Mixer likes this.
  16. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

Track and field are apparently still around, as Picard spoke of having competed in the Academy marathon. He also fenced -- another sport.

17. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Don't forget Anbo-Jyutsu, branded by Riker's dad as "the ultimate evolution of martial arts," and also a way for parents & children to settle scores with one another.

18. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

O’Brien and Bashier played racket ball. Picard was also shown playing this sport.

19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not real sport, but imagine pro wresting in the future. A meek everyday human versus a gigantic Nausican, and the storyline is that the Vulcan champion was critically injured in his last match but his Katra now resides in the meek human who is defending the title on his behalf.

20. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Padded bo.

GNDN18 likes this.