Spock on Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by JustKate, Sep 22, 2008.

1. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Leonard Nimoy made an appearance on National Public Radio's (always hilarious) news quiz Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! on Sept. 20. (Can you make an appearance on radio? Oh, well.) He played the game known on Wait Wait as "Not My Job" in which he had to answer questions about Dr. Spock.

He was, of course, a hoot, as was the host Peter Sagal, a self-professed fanboy. You can hear it (Nimoy's segment or the entire show) here: http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/

I strongly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of Nimoy. And who here is not?

There is also a funny photo of Nimoy teaching NPR elder statesman Carl Kassel how to do the Vulcan Salute. The show will be archived but I don't know if the photo will be.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

He had to answer questions about famous baby doctor Benjamin Spock?

3. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Ah, I see -- you thought I made a boo-boo. Yeah, Leonard Nimoy, originator of the role of Spock on Star Trek, did have to answer questions about baby doctor Dr. Spock. The game "Not My Job" is a regular feature of Wait Wait, and the guests are always having to talk about stuff that's...well, not their job. So you'll have, say, Jimmy Carter of the fab gospel group the Blind Boys of Alabama answering questions about former President Jimmy Carter, or Kevin Clash, the voice of Elmo, answering questions about famed cable jerk Bill O'Reilly (my apologies to any of O'Reilly's fans, but surely he likes being a jerk?), or Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell answering questions about the marginally talented singer Madonna (sorry, Madonna fans, but I can't make an apology here).

It's a hoot, I tell you, a hoot. Even when Leonard Nimoy isn't the guest.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

That was great. I, too, listen to this show all the time but missed it this weekend.

The host, Peter Sagal, really is a Trekkie. He knew off the top of his head that Theodore Sturgeon wrote Amok Time. He was also very willing to make himself the butt of the jokes. Very good.

Sagal did make one mistake. He said in the new movie this will be the first time somebody else has played Spock. In STIII, didn't Nimoy's son play a teenage Spock on the Genesis planet?

5. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Dunno if Adam did, but there were about five different Spocks in that movie.

6. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

Thank you for the head's up. I love WWDTM, but I missed it this week. I'm looking forward to hearing the replay.

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think we get that show around here. Too bad, I really like it!

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Darn. I was expecting a new kind of slashfic. :(

9. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

Down, boy.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I get it! :lol:

11. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    JustKate:

Thanks for posting this! It's one of the funniest mistakes average people make about Spock, calling him Dr. Spock -- hell, even Joan Collins called him that in an interview I saw, on some anniversary show on TOS. That, and the infamous mispronounciation of Star Trek as Star TRACK! :guffaw:

Red Ranger

12. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    For anyone interested, there is a funny reconciliation of Mr Spock and Dr Spock in a Farscape episode (2d half of season 1). John Crichton says something along the lines of "Is there a 'What to Expect When You're Expecting a Leviathan Baby' reference book by Dr Spock... Mr Spock ?" as both would have to contribute their expertise.

13. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I remember that! Farscape cracked on Trek a number of times, like when Crichton referred to Moya as the Federation starship SS Buttcrack! :guffaw:-- RR