Spock/Burnham

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Dave Steinman, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dave Steinman

Dave Steinman Ensign Newbie

So one of the burning questions since the finale has been "Why did Spock never mention he had a sister?"
    I think the answer is pretty obvious...he doesn't really consider her his sister. Vulcan logic would dictate that, to him, she is merely Sarek's ward. Not a relation to him at all. I'm sure he doesn't dislike her or anything like that. He just doesn't consider her his family. Plus remember..., he was Kirk's first officer, and they probably knew each other from Starfleet Academy, yet Kirk didn't even know Sarek was his father until Journey To Babel. Spock never brought up Burnham because...a) she wasn't really his sister...b) it was nobody's business, and...c) Spock was never one to blab about the details of his personal life anyway. In short...nobody ever asked and he never volunteered the info.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, after a rough start they'll be BFFs by the end of the season and it'll be common knowledge they're brother and sister.

People here will insist that Spock constantly spoke of her in TOS every time the camera was off him and there's no contradiction:rommie:

BillJ likes this.
  3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Spock/Burnham sitch reminds me of this exchange from Futurama:

Ipji: So I said, "Your request for a date is most flattering Leela, but I'm afraid I must decline. These office romances never work out. After all, that is how I met my horrible wife."
    Leela: But you never wore a ring, I didn't know you had a wife.
    Ipji: And my wife doesn't know I have a job, I keep my personal and professional life separate.

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The producers mentioned again in a recent interview that this will be addressed at some point during the show's run. They've already addressed part of the relationship between Burnham, Sarek and Spock in Lethe, so I imagine we have more to come.

5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

in before the Spock/Burnham slash fic afficionados... slash ficionados?

6. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Spurnham?

7. alex08060

alex08060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Probably a fallout with Spock, she love Sarek a lot and they rebounded together during season 1 while Spock still doesn't like his father. He might probably consider Burnham has betrayed him by sticking up with Sarek.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I think it's c)

Zonker and Tim Thomason like this.
  9. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

He didn't mention her because she is an unconvincing invention after the non fact.

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

SPAM

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock went twenty years without mentioning his brother, and indeed if Sybok hadn't hijacked the Enterprise Spock may never have talked about him. I don't think it's unreasonable that he never mentioned a sister who apparently never visited the Enterprise during Kirk's command.

12. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

You get right out of here if you are going to use logic! This is for OUTRAGE!!!!! :D

13. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

He never mentioned he had a sister because he never knew he had one until recently.

It's an easy thing to overlook.

UncleRogi likes this.
  14. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The sad part is Sarek in his dying days in TNG conveyed (through Picard) how much he loved Amanda and Spock.

No mention of Burnham ever. Yet this show portrays Burnham as the chosen one and his best accomplishment.

Of course, at some point they'll 'update' the TNG era as well.... so it's all moot.

PhotoBoy likes this.
  15. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really. He never talked about his own father until he had to and never talked about sybok. It is hardly a mystery and a stretch that he wouldn't talk about burnham.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's certainly in short supply in this forum.

GeekUSACarl and KennyB like this.
  17. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

It wasn’t Spock. It was a Klingon altered to pass as Spock. "Spoq" if you will.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I guess I wouldn't mention Burnham either if she was my sister. :guffaw:

19. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Spock stopped speaking to Michael after she tore the head off his Jonathan Archer action figure and fed it to the family sehlat.

UncleRogi, Zonker, Nyotarules and 2 others like this.
  20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I remember right, there was just as much grumbling about Spock suddenly having a brother back when TFF came out.

BillJ likes this.