Speculation on DC's Major Superman 2010 Event?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been talked and teased about for a few months now, this event seems to be the crux of what Johns has been building towards for the last several years that he's been on Action Comcis. I really have no idea what it could be, they can't kill off Superman again can they? Perhaps the dissolution of Lois and Clark's marriage? That would create outcry from fans I think similar to One More Day. An event similar to the Imperialex war? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm really excited for it.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm only moderatly curious and that is because I'm aware of the legal action earlier this year.
    I've not followed Superman for some time with regularity. I'm vaguely aware of the Kryptonian elements in the book of late.
    It'll have to be broadcast as big to get me to pick it up.

3. Admiral_Young

Perhaps a spoiler warning should be added in regards to discussion of previous and current Superman storylines?

4. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Out of left field guess: a reboot to get around the rights issues...

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I can't imagine that. They've invested too much and Superman is so much a part of the DCU that it would mess up virtually all of DC's other titles; they might as well close up shop.

Similarly, if they decide to "reimagine" Superman in any permanent way, DC is finished. Superman and Batman are utterly untouchable - expected tweaking notwithstanding. But if they were to, say, turn Superman into a villain or something, they'd be killing themselves. (As it is, if they ever canceled either Action Comics or Detective Comics, I'd be seeing that as the beginning of the end).

I could see something like Superman and Lois divorcing. One subplot that's been going on for years is the attraction between Superman and Wonder Woman. Perhaps some infidelity?

Only thing is that's really too soap-opera. I'm sure they won't make him gay or anything - that would just be stupid after years of him fawning over Lois (not to mention WW).

If I had to make a guess. And I'm not spoiler-coding this because I'm not referencing any storylines currently underway. Ever since Day 1 (as in 1938) a lot has been made about Superman never killing anyone intentionally. It's been a recurring plot point, and in the aftermath of WW killing Maxwell Lord DC - rather admirably, I thought - spent an extensive amount of time discussing Superman's philosophy and how other DCU characters agreed or disagreed with it. The current World Against Superman, which has him leading the Kryptonian military (that's not a spoiler because it's splashed all over the covers) has reignited some of that discussion.

I think Superman is going to pull a Maxwell Lord on somebody. And while to an extent that's a retread of the whole WW-as-killer subplot that dominated Infinite Crisis, it would have a fresh approach because this is Superman we're talking about.

Alex

6. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depending on its current canonical status, it has already happened. In the Post-COIE retcon of the Legion's history, Superboy was revealed to have been from a pocket universe set up by the Time Trapper. Superboy then sacrificed himself to save the true Earth and his own. A pre-villainous Silver Age Lex then accidentally released 3 PZ Villains, who wiped away the world. Calling on True Superman to help them, the alt-heroes were still killed to a one. Superman used Gold K to depower them (it didn't affect a Kryptonian not from their 'verse). They then vowed to regain their powers, and one day repeat their crime on True Earth, taunting Superman as being unable to kill them. Finding their crimes abominable, and their threat a credible one (they had powers greater than his, when they had them) he exposed them all to Green K and watched them die. Several months later, a guilt-ridden Superman took on an alternate personality.

Well, as I said, its canon-status is doubtful, but it has been done before.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm only up to Volume 2 of the New Krypton trade but I know that Superman leaves Earth to live on New Krypton so I'm guessing the big event would be his return to Earth along with a massive alien invasion (the Kryptonians?).

8. Admiral_Young

The Kryptonians have done nothing to endear themselves to the humans so far...not to mention the rest of the galaxy either. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of big war between Krypton and Earth. The status quo has been changed pretty good with the Kryptonians, one that seems to be accepted widely by fans, I think anything else major though would serve to push them away. I doubt that Superman would have an affair with Wonder Woman. He loves Lois. Wonder Woman knows this and it I think succuming to any feelings would go against her Amazonian sense of honor and loyalty, not to mention sisterhood. It's a possibility though.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, they can blow up Krypton again, right?

10. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lois dies.

11. Admiral_Young

General Zod kills Lois? I could see that happening. The start of an alternate Kingdom Come maybe?

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lois dying? Yeah, I can see this. I think it would have more of an impact than them trying to off Supes again or killing somebody like Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, Pete Ross, or Lana Lang. And Lois's death would definitely alter Superman forever. But I wonder if the writers would be that bold, and especially make it stick?

13. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We all know that a major death won't stick. It's not how the comics work. Everything gets reincarnated/rebooted. We can probably count quickly the major characters in an ongoing series that have died and never come back to life and it will be less than 20.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I doubt they'll kill off Lois or get rid of the marriage--if anything, they'll announce she's pregnant.

But my guess for the big 2010 event will be the re-establishment of Superman as the last surviving Kryptonian...

15. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the risk of spoiling myself, what divorce?

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I couldn't agree more on the issue of: LOIS DIES!!!!

That will get the biggest set of :rolleyes::rolleyes: from me possible.

Lois is as major as they come a supporting character who isn't "super". They'd have to pull off a something as lame as the Aunt May "resurrection". Its one of the reasons, among many I'm sure, that Betty Ross/Banner has yet to be revived after so long ago being killed off.

17. Admiral_Young

I'm guessing what the poster suggested about Superman being the Last Kryptonian...something drastic would have to happen to New Krypton for that to happen.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I said it first! FIRST! :scream:

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could be wrong; but back during the re-introduction of Brainiac, I vaguely remember Johns claiming that Brainiac's re-introduction would be spread over 3 acts with a culmination in the big, upcoming Superman event. If so, then that would mean Brainiac will have a significant part in whatever this big 2010 thing is.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And Supergirl.