[SPECULATION] After The Fall - the next major event?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Danlav05, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I hope this thread stays in the speculation zone and doesn't stray into 'ideas' - if it does I apologise.

The Fall has just ended and TNG/DS9 novels continue to be published.

The year in 'Absent Enemies' is 2385 - just two years before the destruction of Romulus in the 2009 movie.

I'm wondering if the next big event will be set around those events, perhaps introducing Nero and closing Ambassador Spock's arc? The year after next is conveniently Star Trek's 50th Anniversary, so will they take that opportunity. Yes, the Countdown comic have already covered this but that's part of the Star Trek Online universe which is plainly different.

The Novelverse has far more interesting development than the hastily cobbled together 'Path To 2409'.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

We will be losing Spock, so his story really neds to be wrapped up - Romulan reunification, Saavik, relations between him and McCoy/Scotty/Uhura and Chekov, all of that and more.

It doesn't have to be all neatly wrapped up, but these issues need to be addressed in some way.

Spock's just too big a character to just 'slip away'...

3. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, prime_Spock does depart to the Abrams verse...
    but there always are unspoken possibilities ;)

4. Danlav05

I think Spock will need closure in some way because in the 2009 movie we see a man who seems very much at peace with himself; particularly with his human side.

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I must say, I'm hoping the author(s) involved in the Great Send-Off For Spock really pull out all the stops. I want to see the definitive conclusion to his life's journey as portrayed in the novel 'verse. I want to see Spock's final thoughts on his parents, his stepmother, Kirk, McCoy, the other TOS characters, Saavik, the Romulans, the Remans, the Watraii, Reunification, Khitomer, Charvanek, Shiarkiek, Xiomek, Pardek, Donatra, Tal'aura, Pike, V'Ger...I want it all. Won't you give me all, authors? Is that too much to ask?

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

"I just want the ultimate Spock story, the pinnacle of a character that's been beloved for fifty years across hundreds of episodes, films, comics, and novels. That's not too much to ask." ;)

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would be interested to learn what Saavik's current status is. Assuming they're still married (are they?), how would she cope with Spock's disappearance?

8. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I'd be very happy with a Spock trilogy in the vein of DRG3's Crucible series, but in line with the continuity of the novel 'verse that has been established over the last decade plus. I imagine that a 50th Anniversary of Trek Spock trilogy would probably sell quite well :techman:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  9. Danlav05

The Saavik as Spock's wife story was only covered in Sherman & Schwartz's series wasn't it? Unfortunately one of those authors is no longer with us, so it will be interesting to see another author take up that plot thread.

Also with the Uhura/Chekov still alive thing, that's going to be interesting to see if that happens - of course Chekov is alive at this time in the Renegades pilot, so they could tie in.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, whatever the Next Big Event is, I'm just really looking forward to seeing the new President zh'Tarash in action. I'm really curious about her.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

What do you want in chapter 2 ?

I think their ongoing marriage was mentioned in either Cast No Shadow or The Unspoken Truth. Anyone confirm ?

Are we ever going to find out what happened to Sulu ?

Did he really make President ?

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

As Cast No Shadow takes place in 2300 and Unspoken Truth takes place in 2286-87, while Vulcan's Heart takes place in 2344, I assume you must be mistaken :confused:

13. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree that there definitely should be some big stuff for the 50th anniversary, and a novel dealing with Spock and how he wound up in the Abramsverse is a good candidate. I would hope it wouldn't be all we would get however. And I would hope that it won't simply be centered on TOS. In a way, it's an anniversary for the whole franchise, since TOS started it all.

Maybe we could see really big novels for several characters. If there are plans to have Picard retire, a great novel about Crusher, Picard, and son and how his years on the Enterprise wrapped up, as well as setting the stage for his next stage of life might be a good choice.

Anybody else have ideas beyond the ultimate Spock novel?

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

If they pull out all the stops and have all the people in Spock's life for a 50th anniversary novel event, then it's going to be ironic foreshadowing considering that none of them could possibly know that he will disappear.

I personally would appreciate a new Myriad Universes work that creates an iteration of the Shatnerverse which is compatible with the multiverse of the current novel continuity.

15. Danlav05

You mean sort of a 'What if Kirk didn't die on Veridian III?'

As for the '50th whole franchise' thing I mean the Spock story would be part of another multi-book event like Typhon Pact/The Fall, incorporating TNG, DS9, Titan etc. Romulus is destroyed and then what? Nero appears, has a scuffle with the Enterprise/Aventine, Spock gets involved and goes through the black hole. The last book would be the aftermath (even though we now he isn't actually dead!)

FOR EXAMPLE (Speculation not ideas)

1. TITAN - Captain Saavik is temporarily assigned to the Titan; goes to Romulus shortly before destruction and rescues Spock. Unification is complete.
    2. DEEP SPACE NINE/ROBINSON - Nero starts wreaking havoc with the Nerada. Maybe gets hold of the Red Matter?
    3. THE NEXT GENERATION - Picard retires; Riker & Troi return the Enterprise respectively as Commanding officer an Counselor. Klingon heavy?
    4 VOYAGER - set on Vulcan; involves the creation of the Jellyfish. Spock reappears.
    5. AVENTINE - Closing Spock & Nero's 24th Century story. Saavik, Picard, McCoy and others guest.
    6. THE NEXT GENERATION - After the closure of the Black Hole.
    This is rough but it gives you an idea of my thinking. :)

EDITED BY MODERATOR: Sorry, when you get that specific, it's story ideas - stick it behind spoiler code please.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the line just got crossed here. Big time.

17. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

So am I the only one who hopes Spock's disappearance forever is mentioned offhandedly in a new DS9 novel?

18. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Yes, I agree.

General rule of thumb, people, if you're getting specific about what's going to happen in your idea, then spoiler code it as a story idea please. Or just keep your suggestions general for discussion.

19. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Same here, personally I don't think it needs a massive novel or novels outlining what happened.

Maybe an ickle ebook would be better for it.

20. Danlav05

OK sorry will do