Sorry ladies, bad news...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Scout101, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Scout101 is off the market. Asked my girlfriend of 3 years to marry me over the weekend, and she said yes! (obviously, otherwise this thread would be a lot more depressing :p )

Went out for dinner for our anniversary, and walked around the city beforehand. Stopped in front of the big Christmas tree in the middle of the city, and popped the question. Thankfully, I'd managed to keep it a secret, so got to enjoy her shocked reaction as she tried to choke out the word 'yes' :)

Stupid work computers block all of the photo sharing websites, so as for a picture, best I can do is link to the place I bought the ring, and it'll show up there:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-engagement-ring-setting-platinum_6905?filter_id=1&collection_id=236

Hit the "show with diamond" option, and pick "princess cut". It's got a 1-carat princess cut in there, looks pretty nice if I do say so myself. Platinum band, pave-cut diamonds around the top half of the band, etc. About 1.25 carat total weight, very sparkly.

Anywho, to keep this thread from being a few 'congrats' posts, followed by a quick death, thought I'd open it up a bit, and see if people wanted to share engagement stories, or chat about rings (what, where, etc). I found Blue Nile to be an excellent place for the ring, as the quality was fantastic compared to normal jewlery stores (way better color/clarity options for way less money) and the prices were much better. Was a little sketched out by buying something like this online, but the service was great, and the ring looks amazing, so it would be highly recommended. Blue Nile did very well :)

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Hey!! Serious congrats on getting the nerve up!

Good thing you didn't ask her at center court of a basketball game. :eek:

3. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations!

I have no engagement story of any kind, so you're just going to have to put up with me spamming your lovely thread by wishing you love and happiness.

*Hugs*

4. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Congratulations! Hope you'll post here about your 50th anniversary. :D

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

GG! Congrats, man!

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Congratulations Scout. May you have many sexless years with your good bride.

7. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Grats, dude! I know that I pop the question, I am going to have my bro hiding and taking pictures for posterity.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^sorry, not terribly religious. Much sex will be had (at least in the short term). :p

Of course, there's the old joke about why brides are smiling so much in all the photos: they realize they've given their last BJ :lol:

9. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

dude, bummer.

my condolences.

seriously, I hope you both are miserable which is the best one can hope for a married couple. May you have a quick death.

Congratulations, really! That's wonderful!

10. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Congrats!!!

Eh, I'll be fine as long as Aaron Douglas and Gerard Butler are still single. :D

11. Elmo Dukat

Elmo Dukat Guest

Hey, congratulations! That's great. It sounds like it went the way you imagined, which is important when popping the question...the "surprise" factor is the way to go!

SPOCKED asked me when we'd just woken up, on Christmas morning of last year. Needless to say, I was surprised. :D He didn't have a ring for me yet, but then on Valentine's day he surprised me with a gorgeous three diamond ring that had been in his family from probably the 1920s or so. :)

12. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Congratulations. How romantic, proposing in front of a Christmas tree. That's just wonderful!

My engagement ring story is slightly different: it was purchased about 18 months after my wedding ring. We'd decided to get married after having lived together for 17 years. I saw the wedding ring I wanted ahead of time. The engagement ring was bought 3 days before the wedding, I think. I've always been a bit unconventional. :lol:

13. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

That's fantastic news! Congrats! Were you nervous at all?

I've known several people who ordered engagement rings online and they have all had good experiences, though they were meticulous in their research. We know several jewelers, one with really good prices, so my husband purchased my ring there.

Are the two of you probably going to have a large wedding, or a smaller one?

14. blablover5

blablover5 Admiral Admiral

Congratulations.

I'm much too lazy to type out my story again so here's a link to it.

Now I can sit back and laugh at all the horrors you'll get to go through in planning this thing. He he he.

15. Krieg1981

Krieg1981 Commodore Commodore

Congrats, my friend! My engagement story is much more low key......her and I were laying on the bed, and she rolled over and said "will you marry me?". I said "sure"! I know, it lacks drama, but I still smile when I think about it!

16. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well we didn't have a normal engagement in the first place-- we hadn't even met face to face for the first time when got engaged. We just sort of decided one night over the phone: Wanna get married? Yeah? Cool.

When we met face to face the first time it was so much a perfect match, that we scrapped the idea of living together for a year first, and ran off and got married 4 days later.

No regrets.

17. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ What a great story! :techman:

18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Congrats Scout, ya big stud you.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Congratulations!

I proposed to my now-wife on January 6, 2006, while she was in town visiting (at the time, we lived about 90 miles apart). I cooked a three-course meal of freshly tossed Caesar salad with homemade dressing, some fresh garlic bread, and chicken fettuccine alfredo (by which point I'm sure she knew something was up, because at that point, I rarely cooked). After dinner was done, I took the plates back to the kitchen and returned with a plate of pumpkin pie ... upon which was sitting a diamond solitaire engagement ring. I got down on one knee, looked at her and said, "Well ... would you?"

I bought the ring from Kay Jewelers, as I hadn't been living in this city for terribly long, but we bought our wedding rings from a local jeweler (Shamrock) who did a wonderful job of matching her engagement ring to the wedding band.

We got married on July 14, 2007. Congratulations, again! :)

20. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Congratulations!

Learn when to say the following and you'll have a long, successful marriage:

Yes, dear.

Whatever you say, sweetheart.

Whenever you're ready.

Will save you a lot of headache down the road. :lol:

On our first date, after the dinner and movie bit, we went to a park and swung on the swings. I took her there to propose to her, and fortunately she said yes and hasn't yet realized she could have done a lot better. :p As they say in football, I outkicked my coverage.

Hope you have a long and happy life together.