So what is Stargate Universe?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Galactus, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I gave up watching TV for the past few years so I am clueless about what is going on. I just caught a preview of something called Stargate Universe so I wanted someone to explain to me what is going on with Stargate without giving me any spoilers. The last thing I think I watched was Stargate Atlantis when Ford returned or something like that. It is all hazy now. I am sure it was Season 2 or something. Do I need to watch Atlantis before Universe?

Couple of quick questions?

Why do they have transporters now?
    Does the world know about the Stargate program? I am guessing not based on the preview. If this is the case are there now a hidden world government that the public doesn't even know about complete with space travel? Seems like they are more advanced than Star Trek and on par with Star Wars.
    Please tell me this is not a BSG copy. I have the feeling it is though.

I really want this to be good cause I miss the space adventures and I really like SG1. I haven't had a space show to like since ENT went off the air and it never was the way I wanted. That ending just killed it for me.

Ok one last thing, what is up with SyFy? I get why they did it and it makes perfect business sense, but I can't believe they did it. I guess it is like having a network called FX that shows no sci fi or fantasy. Can't wait until they change Cartoon Network to something else.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

No.

All of the Earth ships were upgraded with Asgard transporters sometime around SG-1 season 8 or so. Additionally, Earth has pretty much all Asgard tech at this point.

No.

Last time we checked most of the major governments were cooperating on this. The Russians had a BC-304 for a while but it blew up. I think the Chinese might have one too now.

3. Galactus

Thanks. I still don't see how that is suppose to work. Earth's governments are exploring space, fighting aliens, and most of the planet has no clue. I don't see how they could keep something like that a secret. So are the Asgard still around?

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Asgard race was exterminated by the Ori in the SG-1 finale, Unending, although some other Asgard showed up in the Pegasus Galaxy on Atlantis during the fifth season, but I haven't seen that two-parter yet.

5. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    I never liked that whole thing. Eventually the G-men will become the new Go'uld(they pretty much already are). They have a technology a thousand years ahead or more and don't see any reason to give any of those benefits to the little people.

6. Lindley

Tell me about it.....

7. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

That's one of my major gripes with the Stargate franchise at this point the premise of the Stargate program going public would create so many interesting stories a series would practically write itself.
    Correction, the Korolev was destroyed in a battle with the Ori the ships destruction wasn't the fault of the Russian crew.
    Correction, the Asgard committed suicide in the finale their decision had nothing to do with the Ori.

8. Lindley

Like I said, it blew up.

9. Galactus

Yeah I missed the finally season of SG-1 too as well as the movies. I guess I should close that chapter out before I jump into Stargate Universe but I just know I will not like it.

10. Lindley

A lot of us are iffy about it.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'll defer to you, as it's been a while since I saw the episode. Looking it up, it appears they sacrificed themselves rather than let the technology fall into the Ori's hands (as well as any other enemies).

12. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Erm, no again...but just slightly:) The Asgard reached the end of the genetic abilities to clone bodies for themselves without the bodies suffering degradation, and choose to end their lives.
    Giving us the sum total of their knowledge and the magical Asgard core that should be replicating things to benefit all mankind, instead of hoarded by the SGC...due to the inane agreement struck by the participating nations in the IOA not to allow advanced tech to be used by any naation on Earth to avoid fighting over it.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Right, right. I'll watch that episode again...sometime...maybe. Thanks for the correction! :techman:

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Just like real life!

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Yep the Sun Tzu.