So what are you reading, now? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Raise the Titanic....especially since it was written BEFORE they found it!!

When they cast Matthew McConaughey in Sahara (never seen the movie), I thought....wow, that was the EXACT person I had in my head when reading these books LOL.

Currently going through Cross by James Patterson, I'm in the minority I think, but I love his books.

Also just finished Masters of Noir Volume One.....FANTASTIC set of short stories by masters such as Lawrence Block and Ed McBain.

Currently going through Cross by James Patterson, I'm in the minority I think, but I love his books.

For Patterson, the only two I've read have been Alex Cross ones (Kiss the Girls, Along came a Spider) and I enjoyed them both. I keep meaning to get around to some of his others, but haven't yet.

Reading TNG: Perchance to dream. it is pretty terrible so far(112 pages in). As far as the bridge crew is written.

Love Raise the Titanic....especially since it was written BEFORE they found it!!
And virtually every detail Clive Cussler surmised about the sinking and the wreck of the Titanic turned out to be true when they did find it.

When they cast Matthew McConaughey in Sahara (never seen the movie), I thought....wow, that was the EXACT person I had in my head when reading these books LOL.
Well, I wouldn't bother to watch Sahara. Not a good film, and Mr. McConaughey really doesn't convince as Dirk Pitt. Though neither did Richard Jordan in Raise the Titanic.

(And now I understand why, in The Buried Age, I threw in a reference to a new, mysterious species called "Ferengi or Varangi." I couldn't remember what gave me the idea for that variant form. I guess it was Rosetta.)

Just a linguistic note: German-speakers pronounce V's with an f-sound. I don't know if the author of Rosetta had that in mind, but it's just an odd bit of trivia.

(Germans also pronounce W's with a v-sound, so Volkswagen is Folksvagen. )

Just finished Immortal Coil today and just enjoyed it beyond measure. :adore: Up next is The Battle of Betazed, which I HOPE to be pleasantly surprised by, but am steeling myself otherwise. ;)

Being a anime geek I liked the in-joke in Immortal Coil. *lol*

Finished the first two Crucible novels, McCoy and Spock. Liked the McCoy one best, especially the alternate tale set in the past.

Just finished Immortal Coil today and just enjoyed it beyond measure. :adore:
I just read it a couple months ago to and I have to agree with you. I've always been a fan of Trek AI stories and this was one of the best.

Reading Seize the Fire right now.

Just finished The Best and the Brightest and LOVED it. Seemed pretty simply written, but I really got into it and the characters (who should be drudged up and used IMO).

And virtually every detail Clive Cussler surmised about the sinking and the wreck of the Titanic turned out to be true when they did find it.

Well, I wouldn't bother to watch Sahara. Not a good film, and Mr. McConaughey really doesn't convince as Dirk Pitt. Though neither did Richard Jordan in Raise the Titanic.
I enjoyed reading Raise the Titanic when I read it years ago, especially with a retired James Bond, IIRC. Sahara was a good film on its own merit, as a film. But as an adaptation of a book, I don't think it stands up to scrutiny.

Now reading Helmut for my Pillow by Robert Leckie. Back to Star Trek after this ones done.

(And now I understand why, in The Buried Age, I threw in a reference to a new, mysterious species called "Ferengi or Varangi." I couldn't remember what gave me the idea for that variant form. I guess it was Rosetta.)

Just a linguistic note: German-speakers pronounce V's with an f-sound. I don't know if the author of Rosetta had that in mind, but it's just an odd bit of trivia.

(Germans also pronounce W's with a v-sound, so Volkswagen is Folksvagen. )

That's not always the case: in the cases of, for example Vulkan (Vulcan/volcano) or Vase (vase) the sound for the 'v' is the same in both German and English.

oh, and I forgot to mention the non-Trek stuff I'm reading...Doctor Who: Timewyrme Genesis, Study in Scarlet, and The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (lol we'll see how long that one lasts, but it's actually amazing).

Reading a OLD Trel novel, Strangers From The Sky. Not bad, though the middle has a WHAT THE Frack! moment, at least to me.

In addition to reading, I'm also listening through The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. Quite enjoying it.

I finished Supernatural: The Unholy Cause the other day and started on A Less Perfect Union from Myriad Universes: Infinity's Prism.

After burning through 19 Star Trek TNG books in a row. I'm going to the TOS books, and gonna start reading those for the first time ever, in order. I got all numbered TOS books, as well as most of the unnumbered hardcover TOS books about 4 months ago, at a used bookstore for about $150. it'll be my first time reading any of this material.

Cussler wanted Hugh Jackman as Pitt, which I feel would have been perfect.

Also, just finished Rough Beasts. Can I ask if you're a Dune fan, Mr. George?

Finished rereading Dominion War Book 2 last night. Still reading Seize The Fire, and since people are discussing Cussler have also started Spartan Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back