So, should I watch...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by NrobbieC, Sep 2, 2012.

1. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Avengers and Dark Knight Rises?

The characters of Avengers don't really appeal to me, I never felt motivated to watch their solo films and the first Dark Knight was almost as boring as Twilight. It of course wasn't as bad, but its up there on the worst film list.
    But I like to consider myself open minded and there are obviously fans out there so would you recommend them? If so (or not), why?

2. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Avengers is pretty fun... the Iron Man movie was pretty hilarious and worth watching, just for the character growth Tony Stark goes through... it's pretty nice to see how he grows from the weapons developer / playboy in the first movie, to the millionaire philanthropist we see later on...

If anything, and i'm trying not to spoil it here for you, i'd recommend The Avengers simply for The Hulk... now i'm not a Hulk fan in the least, his movies have sucked, and to be honest i find the character boring and unimaginative personally, but he actually stole the show in Avengers... i think that was actually their crowning achievement, making The Hulk into a likeable character lol

I won't really comment on Dark Knight and Rises here, because honestly i'm with you on the two movies... Begins was pretty fun, but my enjoyment of the movies died half way through Dark Knight, and Rises pretty much killed it off for me

M

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Avengers was fun, but I'd recommend watching the solo films first. So, unless you can watch all those, you should skip it.

If you dislike the Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises is very similar in tone.

So, no, if you come with such negative baggage, you shouldn't waste your time.

4. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Based on what you've read, it sounds like the answer is 'no'. The Avengers is ridiculously fun but you really should see the solo films (the two Iron Man movies, Thor and Captain America) first so that you really get to know these characters. I think it'll help with the plot, as well. So if you don't have the motivation to watch the solo films first, I don't think you'd appreciate The Avengers.

If you haven't enjoyed the first two films in Nolan's Dark Knight series, why bother watching the last one? Save yourself some time and watch something you think you might enjoy instead of forcing yourself to watch something just because it's popular. If you don't like The Dark Knight you won't like The Dark Knight Rises.

5. NrobbieC

Thanks for your honesty and insight guys.

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

You forgot The Incredible Hulk. ;)

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

Though I don't know why you skipped Iron Man, RDJr is fascinating to watch.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched The Avengers without having seen any of the films except of Iron Man 1. And it got me interested in all the other films.

The Dark Knight Rises is hard to appreciate and to understand without having seen at least Batman Begins. A couple of friends of mine who had forgotten about Batman Begins were pretty irritated by the end.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It puzzles me a bit when people say the Hulk stole the movie. The Hulk had a couple of big laugh moments, sure, but didn't do much else beyond smashing stuff a couple times. It was Bruce Banner who stole the movie. We cared about the Hulk because we cared about Banner.

And really, the parts where the film sold the idea of the Hulk most effectively were the parts when the Hulk wasn't onscreen. This was a really brilliant thing that Whedon did. He spent a lot of time building up the legend of the Hulk, showing how people reacted to the idea of it. He introduced Natasha as this utterly fearless, confident, tough superagent -- and then showed her utterly terrified the moment Bruce Banner raised his voice. That sold the idea of the Hulk as a devastating destructive force far more effectively than all the CGI in the world could've done. It was the potential of the Hulk, as seen in Bruce and the way everyone else reacted to him, that was really the scary part. That was what made it effective when he finally made the scene. If anything, maybe his actual presence was a bit of an anticlimax after all that great buildup.

10. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yeah, i was including Banner / Hulk together as one character, i didn't mean Hulk as a separate entity to Banner

M

11. Christopher

I guess I'm used to the convention of treating Banner and Hulk as separate personalities, as they tend to do in the comics and animation.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you dont like characters, dont watch movies about them.

13. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Iron Man is the only one of the Disney-Marvel films I've actually watched, and I didn't care for it. Robert Downey Jr. is fun in the movie, and he's a fun actor, but it felt a bit like Pirates of the Caribbean: A fun actor doing a fun performance in an otherwise forgettable blockbuster.

14. Christopher

I kinda felt the same way about it. Take away the brilliant improv of Downey and the cast, and you've got a pretty ordinary, by-the-numbers superhero origin story. So it was enjoyable to watch, but after it was over, I felt unfulfilled.

But Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers are all very good films.

15. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree. I found The Dark Knight needlessly dark and depressing, and while The Dark Knight Rises does follow in that vien, I thought it was the better film of the two.

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No really. I hadn't watched any of the solo films before, and I still enjoyed The Avengers and had no problems following the story. They explain everything about the characters' backstories in the opening part of the movie - and amazingly, they did it without making it sound expositiony.

Ditto on both accounts. Personally, I thought The Dark Knight was one of the best films of the last few years, so I'm probably not the best person to give any recommendations about The Dark Knight Rises, which I mostly liked but which IMO had serious flaws and was much weaker than the first two films in the trilogy.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

If you didn't like The Dark Knight then The Dark Knight Rises is likely not for you BUT since you did like Batman Begins it might be worth seeing.

I can't comment on The Avengers as I haven't seen it and feel no need to.

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd recommend seeing at least Thor prior to seeing Avengers, but I think you can get by without the others, and possibly without that one as well.

I found TDK a great improvement over BB, but TDKR I'd say pushed things a bit farther than I would have liked.

That said, if you don't have an interest in seeing any of the films, I'd recommend not seeing any of the films. If you want relatively light superhero action moodwise, go for the Marvel stuff. If you want significantly darker, follow the Batman films. But you'll probably just end up dissatisfied if you go into them expecting to feel dissatisfied.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I meant it's more enjoyable with the backstory. Plus, you have to be able to get through the other movies. If you hate the characters as much as the original poster, I don't know why you would like the Avengers either.

20. NrobbieC

I never said I hated them, I said I wasn't motivated to see the movies. Disinterest, not dislike. It was Dark Knight I hated.

It could be that the trailers weren't very good, for example