So many horrible characters aboard the Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Hespen, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hespen

Hespen Ensign Newbie

I liked the original star trek from way back in the day, I enjoyed the older movies, TNG and deep space nine. But Voyager is the first star trek series with so many uninteresting characters.

Neelix
    Extremely annoying

Commander Chipotle
    Annoying, serves no purpose in the show. Constantly gives janeway bad advice. Native American angle is extremely boring. They should just replace his face with a freshly made chipotle and just play some mexican music in the background, maybe a drum with a buffalo running in the background. That would be far more interesting lol.

Tom Paris
    Serves no purpose, annoying. If he wasn't on the show there would be no difference in anything.

Torres
    All she does is complain, it's annoying as hell.

Harry Kim
    Serves no purpose, annoying, the most boring character in all of star trek.

I think if they removed the above five characters the show would be a lot better.

Janeway, Tuvok, seven and the Doctor are very interesting characters. Kes was becoming interesting as well but then they removed her.

I'm just shocked at how badly they dropped the ball with this series.

2. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I find Kim the worst, nothing special about him just another star fleet officer in my view he does not deserve to be there.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Commander Chipotle? That's a new one. :guffaw:

He might have been a much more interesting character just chowing down burritos on the bridge.

I don't agree with the original post, specifically Torres and Paris, but Commander Chipotle made me grin.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Chipotle":lol:

That's original enough to suggest that you might possibly have an answer for a recurrent mystery in Voyager commentary.

How can the half-dozen Harry Kim episodes be such a problem? Cutting them out of the show wouldn't make it noticeably leaner or faster paced.

How could a token character who spent little time on center screen possibly be so boring? Unless the viewer has a remarkably short attention span, an interesting character is almost certainly going to appear by first commercial break, if not sooner.

If the Harry Kim character is such a nothing, how come he can't be ignored? The same question applies to Garret Wang for those who think they see some apocalyptically bad acting.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I like the characters. The characters were not the problem with Voyager. The problem was the writing.

The thing about Chakotay is, if the laws of probability worked the same way for Voyager as they do in real life, he would be giving very good advice.

I liked Chakotay when they put him in strictly 'tactical decision' mode like in Shattered and Displaced, but the problem is they rarely ever did that. Neelix, yeah he's annoying but he played a crucial role in the show to maintain its tone.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's a pretty weak group of characters. Pretty telling that the only ones who became worth a damn were a hologram and someone who didn't even join the show until halfway through its run.

7. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I think they had a great group of actors, but yes they were not as well written as they could have been. They were underdeveloped, and I think the reset button at the end of each episode was one of the biggest reasons for this. If everything turns back to the beginning and there are no consequences, how can we expect the characters to grow?

That said, I did enjoy Tuvok, 7 of 9, and the Doctor, of which the latter two were the most well written and sufficiently developed on the show.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Chakotay and Kim suffer from having actors who really had no interest in their roles to begin with. Get rid of Beltran and Wang to start with, and then Chak and Kim have a chance.

As for "Development"...how much development did Kirk, Spock and McCoy undergo in the original series? How much did they grow? No one complains about that.

9. Udat

Udat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All Trek has annoying characters, need I mention Jake Sisko, Wesley Crusher etc etc. Whilist Chakotay and Harry were bad I could alway tolerate them, Paris and Belanna were cool. But thats just me.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You didn't like Jake? I thought he was criminally underused, and Loften played him well.

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enough! Enough with all this awful VOY bashing!!

So many mean posts, and here it is almost Valentines day!!

:(

12. Captain Picard.

Why don't you like Wesley?:confused:

13. teacake

Yeah, Wesley has that cool sweater.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

And there was that time he saved everybody by doing that thing he did.

15. teacake

That THING...... :adore:

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

What was wrong with Jake? I found him to be everything that Wesley was not...is it just because he was the kid on the show?

17. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

What is it with people appearing to proclaim their hatred of Voyager in great detail year after year? Is there some kind of Voyager Hate Club I don't know about? Does one get bonus points for how creative they get with their hate and how much they write about how much they hate Voyager (like frequent flyer miles)? What kind of parties do they throw? What kind of get togethers? Where is the Voyager Hate Convention held? Do they get Garrett Wang to appear so they can throw rotten produce at him? Do they get Robert Beltran to appear where they can simultaneously scold him for acting out such a boring character & cheer him for his dislike of the writers/producers? Do they burn effigies of the Transwarp Salamander from "Threshold"? How many card carrying members of the Voyager Hate Club are here at this site?

Sheesh. And here I thought with time, the hate might ebb.

18. Captain Picard.

I am not really a huge fan of Voyager myself mainly due to some of the characters but the story lines are good. But I am not a Voyager hater:)

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Nah. Haters gonna hate. Boredom. Ennui. Lack of imagination. Any of above. I could go piss in the TNG forum every day but it's hardly worth the effort.

20. teacake

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering..

See, it's because they fear Voyager. FEAR. It has led to the hate. They saw her, all full of contradictions and ludicrous moments and comic relief and color, so very much color.. and they freaked out because no one was telling them what to do. Where was all the pious pontificating of TNG? Where was the gloriously grey (brief) ethical moments of DS9? Where was the solemnity befitting the exploration of space?!

They saw A Briefing with Neelix and they shat themselves. We are supposed to be having SPACE and HUMANITY and STRIVING FOR BETTERMENT fuck yeah and what the hell is all this?!

SPACE IS SERIOUS KTHX.

You know what I think we should have seen on Neelix..one of those propellor hats. Those little yarmulke shaped thingies in four corners of color with a propeller on top. They really missed the boat by not doing that at least once on the holodeck.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013