So if the new you know who is British.. (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WraithDukat, May 14, 2013.

1. WraithDukat

WraithDukat Captain Captain

Is he currently growing in a peetree dish at The Centre for Life in Newcastle?

2. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Seriously, he doesn't have to be British. He started working for a super secret organisation in a time period where plastic surgery can actively change your species (let a lone just your race).

I mean, this guy was the most famous War Criminal in the Star Trek verse for a long time period. Anyone even partially knowing of Eugenics would recognize him so having him run around doing super secret secret agent stuff just doesn't seem particle.

So they completely changed his identity. Or, well, at least that's my head cannon explanation.

3. WraithDukat

That makes sense, it's a good way of putting it, nice one :techman:

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm more worried about why Carol Marcus is suddenly British. WHY?

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You don't have to be from a certain place to pick up that place's accent. Spending time just living or studying there will do it.
    If it really bothers you think of it that way. Unless it's explicitly stated in the movie she's British?

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's "Petri dish", named after its inventor, Prussian physician Julius Petri, who was actually Robert Koch's assistant.

Small world.

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

All the smartest criminals are British.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's clear that when Prime Spock changed all their destinies Carol was forcibly relocated to Britain for her formative years.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Ha, that's actually a pretty good explanation for the change. Cool. :bolian:

10. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

And here I thought he had an Italian accent.

You know, like da Vinci on Starz.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

This sentence literally makes no sense to me. As in, I can't understand what is being asked, or whether anything actually is being asked.

12. BigMovieGeek

BigMovieGeek Commander Red Shirt

Gillian Anderson is a great example of this. Her accent shifts completely depending on whether she's in the UK or America.

13. WraithDukat

The Centre For Life is a genetics lab in the North East of England.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

How do we know the prime Carol Marcus wasn't British by birth?

Sure the nuCarol Marcus might have a British accent but as others have already said you can pick up a language by living in a country, so as I said above it's equally plausable that in the prime time line Carol was born in Britian but grew up in America.

It's never been stated onscreen where Carol Marcus was born. Just as San Fransico has Starfleet HQ, London might be where the Science HQ is.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Yes, that's the one part of your post I understood. After spending more time on your question than I should have, I figured out you meant "So if the new you-know-who is British...". The hyphens are critical for understanding this sentence fragment.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, a person doesn't have to be British to have a British accent.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Just look at Jean-Luc Picard, he was from France, but I think most of us would agree he spoke with a British Accent. (Don't know why they just didn't change the character background when Stewart was cast in the role).

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the future, England conquers France and India. All problems solved!

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like there is a deleted scene explaining it.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZjRdH45jo[/yt]

19. jadcox@mindspring.com

jadcox@mindspring.com Commodore Commodore

Perhaps he and Carol Marcus went to the same advanced weapons school, where a part of the education process involves developing a British accent?

20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

As it has been said more than once around this board, an European learning to speak English in Europe is much more likely to catch a British accent than an American one.

When I speak in English I have a pretty god-awful Italian accent, but I already tend to pronounce things a bit British-y. Should I improve my ability to the point of fluency, I will probably develop a full-blown general "British" accent. That doesn't negate the fact I will still be Italian.