So, definitely no novel for late April??

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was checking the Upcoming Productions on Memory Alpha and there was nothing for late april. I know that we were supposed to have the first Discovery novel at that time, but that was moved to a later slot.

Nothing seems to have filled the void, so to say. Did I miss something?

Also still nothing for July I just noticed....

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Looks that way then. Maybe @Defcon can confirm or deny.

3. Mage

Bummer. :( Oh well, the savings will be helpfull during moving. ;) ;) Also, one less book to move. :D

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think all of the schedule shuffling for the Discovery novel and KMFB's next Voyager book have left us with the gaps this month and in July.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The lack of an end of April novel is something that can be explained.

The Original schedule was:

End of March: Voyager: Architects of Infinity
    End of April: Section 31: Control
    Middle of May: Discovery: Desperate Hours (of course we didn't knew the title back then)

Then the Voyager novel was delayed, and the editor(s) decided to move Control a month forward and probably figured that no replacement for late April was necessary, as the Discovery novel was right around the corner anyway. Of course then Discovery was delayed and with it @David Mack 's novel leading to the gap month we are in right now.

No idea about the late July and late October gaps, but I guess at least one of those could be filled with the Discovery novel once we know the start date of the TV show.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I thought the July gap was because of the second delay for Architects of Infinity.

7. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, well. With reading the entire KJV (including the Apocrypha Supplement) for Lent, I haven't had time to crack Section 31: Control anyway, and I've picked Ben-Hur (yes, Lew Wallace's original 600-odd-page opus from 1880) for Easter, so I've got enough that I probably won't even notice the lack of an end-of-April ST release.

BTW, could somebody correct the spelling on the thread title?

I almost forgot: I was also planning on getting Colson Whitehead's The Underground Railroad, which seems to be a rather surreal alternate-history piece in which the Underground Railroad was literally that. As well as a political piece by a fellow CSULB alum.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Voyager was delayed to the end of September at first and now has switched places with DS9: Original Sin to take the late December spot.

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the three empty months is easily explainable. Having two may or may not be. But since there are actually three blank spots, there must be something more up here than we've been told yet. I really look forward to Margaret being on Literary Treks soon so we can have a chance to find out.

10. Mage

Sorry, English isn't my native language. I'm Dutch. And although my English is pretty good, I do make mistakes every now and then. ;) ;)

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Haven't you brought this up recently and got told there is nothing to worry about? From the causality of how this happened, I'm not worried at all and your continued "the sky is falling" is rather amusing to say the least.

12. hbquikcomjamesl

Not passing judgment; just noting that it's misspelled, and unless the software is radically different from what's in use in other boards I frequent, it's something a moderator can easily correct.

And at any rate, you're probably ahead of me: what little Dutch I know is either very specific to Dutch-built organs, or just as specific to the "Van der Merwe" jokes popular in South Africa.

13. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

It is something I can correct, and since you've asked I will. I don't normally - unless it's the title of a book - because I know there are lots of non-native speakers, and also spelling is difficult for lots of people. I figure here you don't need to have your work covered in virtual red pen :D

Having said that, if there is a mistake that you notice and it bothers you, just message me - I'll fix it.

14. hbquikcomjamesl

Duly noted, and it was not my intention to belittle, offend, insult, or pass judgment on, the OP, or on any TrekBBS user. I occcassionally mysspill thangs miself.

15. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

No worries - just letting everyone know how I work :techman:

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I confess that misspelled thread titles grate on my nerves, but that's kind of an occupational hazard. Just ask my girlfriend: I proofread the menus when we go out to dinner--and have still not fully recovered from "spegitty and meatballs." :)

(Carefully proofreads post to make sure there are no typos.)

Klaus, Markonian, DrCorby and 6 others like this.
  17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

On April 13, DRG3 said on Facebook that he had just confirmed with his editor that "Original Sin" has been "moved up on the schedule. It had been planned as a January 2018 released, but will now be an October 2017 book. That means it will be in bookstores on 26 September—three months earlier than expected!"

Somewhere on his website, hidden in plain view, is an actual manuscript page from the new novel.

18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

It's too bad that S&S wouldn't finish SCE in paperback due to the gaps, or even with 2017 being TNG's 30th anniversary, reprint the "Slings & Arrows" series as a trade paperback.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They still may. Seems a no-brainer.

20. Mage

No judgement or offense was registered on my part. I just wanted to explain. And trust me, Dutch is a tricky language. Not just pronunciation, but also grammar. I prefer English. Honestly, my girlfriend and I, and a big part of our friendgroup, speak English more often than we speak Dutch. :D