Smallville - Re-Edited

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

This is really a thought experiment. I don't have the know-how to do this.

For years I have thought about how Smallville could be improved by highlighting its stronger elements. Viewing it more as one large series of films or miniseries. Cutting out a LOT of episodes. Reordering episodes and story arcs. Also combining repetitive and redundant arcs. Using perhaps a structure of 13 episode seasons. With many longer 2 hour movies.

It should be noted I am really coming at this as Superman fan. Not really a fan of the show. This is about stripping and streamlining the show to actually being a show about young Clark Kent's journey to becoming Superman. As a result preserving fan favorite characters and episodes is of little concern here.

I would categorize the show into 3 different areas in Clark's life.

The High School Years - Which of course would cover a significance period of the series run. I would cut any references to Clark' age and class year. With only 2 or 3 seasons/years covering this period. Clark would be asophomore or junior when the series starts. Partially to better fit the appearance of the actors.

The College Years - Which would probably be the era with the least number of episodes. Covering 1 or 2 years/seasons ( more details to come on this)

The early Metropolis Years - This would start with Clark's being hired by the Daily Planet. But there would be a time jump shown by title cards of at least 2 years since the previous era ended. During which Clark actually got a degree in journalism! Also off camera Lois has established herself as successful reporter. Something the show acts like has happened but in which there was no time for.

One key to my approach to this would be the basic editing technique of omission of details and screen time.

The basic cast of characters would be the same. But some characters would have greatly reduced roles.

Certainly Clark and Lana would have some kind of relationship. It would be impossible to avoid it with the available footage. But the melodramatic on again, off again one of the show would be gone. Lana's return arc from the 8 season maybe be cut. But her appearances at Chloe's wedding and during the Legion's visit could remain.

The importance of certain characters can change from the rough cut of film to final edit based on which contributes more to the overall story. Early departing characters like Kara and so called "Jimmy Olsen" would be given greatly reduced screen time.

More to come...

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I know one thing, I would either make Lex & Clark real friends...like equals or put Lex in a true mentor role...like a teacher...and never have Lana hook-up or marry Lex...that really ruined the character.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I think a complete absence of Lana would be a good idea.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or just digitally replace Kristen Kreuk with an actual actress.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think the key to this idea working is the repetitive nature of the series. It would be more plot focused than character focused. Considering the relationships ping ponged back and forth to restore the status quo it would be easy to remove a lot of that stuff.

For an example Lex's constant search for random Kryptonian artifacts and his fighting with his father to do so. All of that would be streamlined into a very specific arc. The search for the stones would be cut out. The Fortress would seem to a result of Clark's early discoveries in the show. Krypton would be far more mysterious to Clark and the others here.

Another idea - Use the Indiana Jones style opening gambit action sequence. Take a strong Clark based action scene from an otherwise dull episode and put it at the beginning of another episode. Certain episode exposition could be done the same way.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Since there's so much Smallville to go around, why not just make a list of the episodes you like, and forget about the rest? That's what I did. ;)

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Smallville? What's that? :p

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ It's a "Clark Kent before he was Superman" show, and while it jumped the shark in its third season and has never recovered, it has still offered, especially in its first two years, some of the finest Superman-related screen drama ever produced - and yes, in terms of quality over running time, that includes the Donner movies.